2009-11-11 17:52:23

hi, when it comes to screenreader selection, what is better? jaws, window-eyes, or supernova? thanks.   michal

f.a.t.h.e.r

2009-11-11 21:48:19

To begin with Supernova is Dolphin's combined magnification and speech version, if youo don't use magnification then their Hal version is less expensive. A lot of places might use Supernova because they can install it and forget about it, it will cover everyone in a single package.

As to which is better, that's personal preference. It also depends which you learned to use first to some extent.

If you wanted popularity though as the topic title suggested then I think Jaws and Window Eyes are most common, with Hal/Supernova doing well outside of the US. I gather Voice Over is getting more popular as well.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-11-12 07:37:06

Cx2 is right, there isn't really a clear answer to which is better, sinse it's so much wrapped up with which you know, ----- especially when it comes to using it outside the box.

For popularity, I'd say the order is probably Jaws first, ---- especially in the Us, then window eyes and Hal joint second.

I haven't come across many window eyes users in this country, ----- indeed I only found out it existed after meeting a chap online who used it.

not to say it's a bad screen reader, ---- it's probably just much less common here than in other places like Hal is less commonly used in the Us.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-11-12 12:35:20

Regional variations always exist, in everything not just screen readers. Dolphin being based here in Britain doesn't hurt, they probably have a better ability to promote their product among institutions and so on. They're also well positioned for European markets too, something tells me they've taken advantage of this though I could be wrong.

I suppose being based in such a big single market as the US makes you think in a US-centric way, whereas Dolphin would have to deal with a more scattered market. The end result is probably that Dolphin are in a more stable position because their eggs aren't all in one basket.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-11-12 14:04:45

Hi.

If you want accessibility out of the box, I highly recommend you to buy a Mac. A mac is accessible out of the box with its build in Voiceover screenreader, so you don't need any sighted assistance to configure it the very first time you boot it up.
When it comes to Windows, I recommend you to try System access to go. It's free and very stable. I use it every day on my job because it runs from the website
www.satogo.com
and you can load it on all windows machines.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2009-11-12 17:21:06

satogo is free? vow! what a!

f.a.t.h.e.r

2009-11-12 20:53:21

You can configure windows without sighted assistance too, as awful as narrator can be it does work in the welcome to windows screen. From there you can get Windows loaded up and use NVDA on an autorun disc , or use an installer for your screen reader of choice.

I can't speak for other markets, but in the UK since the last batch of new models the macs here are rather absurdly priced. Not to mention they charge you through the nose for optional upgrades, about £120 |I think it was to upgrade a mac mini from 2.2 to 2.4ghz. For that much money you can buy  an entire processor, a core 2 quad at that.

I know it annoys apple users that people complain about the costs, but I really have looked at the maths on this. In the UK at least Apple computers are significantly more expensive than the convenience of having it built ready to go and reassurance of having a warranty can reasonably justify, even for a premium system.

cx2
-----

2009-11-13 04:53:25

Yep, dolphin being in England has helped, ---- and the fact that their based in the same town which houses one of the largest specialized secondary schools for blind kids probably doesn't hurt either.

In fact I did first try Hal at secondary school myself (though I didn't go to said specialized school), and indeed th original license for the copy of Hal I'm using right now was first bought out of my university grant, ---- though i's been umpgraded many times sinse then.

"out of the box" I meant "outside the box" Ie, using screen reading programs with random things they weren't originally intended for, ---- like the smugglers games.

On the mac front, as well as the cost issue, ---- which I looked into myself and does actually exist, for me, there are too many things I run which require windows, ---- or even doss, --- everything from audio games running the net framework, to some now freeware versions of old graphical games like prince of persia which have been configured to run via dosbox with a handy windows front end, ---- to actually fully doss orientated stuff like Eamon delux, fallthru etc, ---- not to mention winamp with many pluggins for random game music formats (though I would guess there's probably a mac port of winamp).

This is also why I've not upgraded windows from xp, ---- and I probably won't until my pc explodes, ---- and hopefully there will be some good solutions to run these things on windows 7 by then.

narrator can certainly be used to play with windows innards, ---- also, hal is nice enough to run under most circumstances, ----- even when windows is insisting on running with default settings and no access to user accounts.

While I don't despute the advantage of macs having their own screen reader in built, ----- Hal (and probably other screen readers), are so secure about running now in various circumstances, it doesn't make as much difference as it might have done 15 years ago, when Hal, ---- and possible other screen readers too, were very dependent on a set environment to run, and if you deviated from that you'd be in trouble!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-11-13 05:16:52

Dark, I was referring to SLJ saying that he would recommend Macs for someone who wants accessibility straight out of the box.

It is also worth noting that Linux has the screen reader Orca built into the Gnome desktop environment, and that there is Vinux which is a form of Debian Linux ready configured for speech access in both Gnome and the command line, along with magnification too.

It is also worth pointing out that both Macs and conventional, non-Apple PCs can be dual booted. I had considered doing this with a Mac so I had the Mac OS going forward for any new technologies and hardware I might find necessary in the future and Windows XP for my games and as a fallback like a safety net. I've however more recently been leaning towards my next set up being Linux alongside windows, either dual booted or with removable hard drive trays. The latter option would require much less work but be slightly niggly and a touch more costly.

cx2
-----

2009-11-13 10:48:30

If you buy a Mac, you can install what you want. You can run Windows, Linux and of course Apples own operating system. You can both do this virtually and you can choose to split your harddrive up in partisions, so you choose what partision you wanna boot when you power it up.
Yeah. Mac computers are much more expensive, but you get a lot of accessibility for these money. You get Voiceover, which in many ways works much better than screenreaders in Windows does, you get speech when you insert your install disc and you get an absolutely stable operating system.
Windows and Mac is two different operating systems, and Mac is not build for games and fun stuff. Persontly, I've got 90% fewer issues after I've switched to Mac.
One thing I really like is that i can install Windows on my Mac virtually or on another partision if I wants to. That's what I'm going to do when my Windows labtop dies.

Well, enough Mac-stuff! smile Back to the Windows screenreader topic:

Yep. System Access to go is totally free, and if you choose to create an account, you can install a full version of System access on your computer for free using your account. This version works also when you're not connected to the internet because the program is installed on your pc. It's really awesome.
One thing I really like in System access is that it doesn't use the video intercept driver, which means it works on all computers with all kind of graphic cards.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2009-11-13 12:43:23

How does system access compare to NVDA? NVDA is also free, and also doesn't use graphics intercepts. You can also stick NVDA on a USB drive or an autorun CD to use on any computer running an appropriate version of windows, even if it doesn't have working SAPI5.

Regarding operating systems, the lines are indeed beginning to blur. On the other hand this could also make computers less popular for casual users, but that's for another topic.

cx2
-----

2009-11-13 14:23:41

NVDA is a great screenreader, but I find it very difficult to use the virtual cursor, mouse cursor or what's called. I can't find any info on the labtop layout in the documentation, and I've seen a lot of releases, where the documentation hasn't been updated. If someone can give me the labtop commands for the mouse pointer, I'll give it a try.

I like System access cause it's a very stable screenreader, the virtual cursor is much easier to use than the Jaws cursor and it works on all computers.

Best regards SLJ.

2009-11-13 17:26:07

linux is da best, i am active user, of ubuntu, it have voice support when u installing it, its quite fast, god,   superb... huh? i cant believe satogo free? well, well...... hm, strange...... vow!

f.a.t.h.e.r

2009-11-14 12:41:07

My problem is, ---- if the mac os isn't for games and fun stuff, ---- why would I want it?

I use my computer for four things:

1: writing my thesis, ---- which takes basic text editing in ms word or similar, pluss reading of the odd pdf or html document, ---- also storage and rereading of articals I have people read and record in mp3.

2: General net brousing and E-mail (E-mail is pretty important both for fun and keeping in touch with the uni, ----- I even submit my thesis draughts via E-mail).

3: Games.

4: downloading and listening to interesting audio and music.

5: Watching dvds, ---- currently I do this with power dvd.

Personally, my entire approach to information technology has been on a "I want to do X, ----- how much do I need to know to do X" basis.

If I ever decide to go heavily into sound mixing, writing my own games or something similar, ----- maybe having mac os available in some form would be useful, ----- but currently, ---- to be brutally honest, I don't see that I need it.

2009-11-14 13:17:16

I agree in basic terms at present. I however do look to the future and what might be necessary. There may be a time when the versions of browsers available on XP just won't do what we need in terms of web browsing, or we might need new wireless technology in the future to allow us to use the internet at all. They also talked about expanding the 4 byte IP address, which might need additional support that XP just can't provide.

I'm sticking with XP for now, but I want to make sure I'm not going to be causing myself undue problems in the future by not considering my options.

cx2
-----