2009-09-30 07:34:15

Ok, so here's a fantastic thing, and I know those who have the wonderful advantage (cough cough) of being affected by this problem, will probably not be able to read it. Just yesterday, my internet explorer started unexpectedly being cleaved in half by an unknown source every time it started, and by this I mean causing those don't send errors that are so much fun!!
I asked some of my friends about this, and what a coincidence! One of my friend's friends reported the same problem. Exact same day!
So I spent some time with my friend trying to locate the problem, eventually noticing something weird: when the AVG safesearch add on, which I believe I've always had on, was turned off in internet explorer, it suddenly started to work again. Turned it back on, and it carried on dying.
So I asked my friend to ask his friend what virus scanner he used. Yes, AVG 8.5 of course, was the answer. He too killed the safesearch add on, and he likewise could work with Internet Explorer once again.
So if you know anyone that is experiencing the same problem, disable the AVG safesearch add on in internet options. It should work. I'm not sure what exactly causes this sudden change of behavior, but it's something rather peculiar. I'm seriously wondering what is up with AVG. A number of months back, they accidentally released a false virus detect that would kill your entire system. And now I don't know if this was accidentally caused by AVG, or whether it was caused by AVG in the first place. But it's rather weird.

2009-10-03 06:58:48

if I had to guess, I'd say this is avg's attempt to get you to upgrade to the paid version, assuming you aren't already using it? I stopped using avg because of the continuous adds that would pop up out of nowhere. nvda couldn't make heads or tales of it, so I stopped using avg. if that's not it, maybe avg has changed the safe search add on,  recently,  and IE has problems with it? shrugs.

I love fresh coffee, it's just so lovely! mmmmmmmmm, coffee!

2009-10-03 13:08:35

I doubt this is intentional, and I doubt the paid for version would use an entirely different safe search add on. Can't imagine it not having a feature the free one has either.

The two obvious possibilities are:
The safe search add on has changed and has an unnoticed glitch, either through bad testing or through a common element on affected computers that they didn't test with
Windows or Internet Explorer has changed and thus rendered the add on incompatible.

I'd personally lean towards it being AVG, but I can't rule out the other since I don't use AVG myself. You can probably cope without the safe search add on anyway, if it is as the name suggests purely for search engines. NOD32 doesn't even have a search add on for example.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.