2016-12-29 22:11:11

OK Community, listen to this: I talked with two very very friendly wizards in 3kingdoms and also 3scapes. Both of them are very interested in making the mud more friendly for blind people! So if you have any ideas, suggestions, or other improvements, feel free to contact
Takamori: Wizard in 3kingdoms
Oberon: Wizard in 3scapes
They are waiting for you!
In 3kingdoms we now have the exits-command for showing up only the exits with the complete spelling.

2016-12-30 21:00:02

I'm currently a level 13 elemental juggernaut on 3S, name's sneaky on there. If anybody has any questions on this guild starting out leme know. It's pretty fun so far, gear hasn't been an issue, but it does have a little bit of a learning curve if you're a new player. Took me a couple hours to read through the documentation and to get a grasp on what everything "actually" meant. Like how there isn't any actual guild levels, rather you have suit levels, but suit levels don't transfer from one suit to the next. You have to reach lvl 60 in every suit if you want to max out levels, and since there are 5 suits in all, it'll be a while. LOL. Every time you gain a suit level, you gain credits which are used for purchasing tech for your current suit. You also earn guild skill points, which can be applied to your guild specific skills like punch, kick, jump jet, death from above, ETC. Combat is actually really really easy, everything is automated, so all you need to do is watch your health and the mob's health. Stats and tech are very important here, so it's good to keep up with those as you level.

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2016-12-30 22:30:47 (edited by firefly82 2016-12-30 22:31:53)

Hi Sneak. Thats perfect! I wanted to play as a juggernaut too. My name is zuro. Maybe we can meet up in the guild for a little instruction run.
I will try to contact you when i am online again.

2016-12-30 22:51:56

Just a little correction here:

Juggernauts have more than 60 guild levels per suit. 60 is just where the guild powers stop unlocking. There are juggernauts who are over level 100 in at least one suit, and a juggernaut who plays regularly is around glevel 85 in his gnome suit. The credit simulator cuts off at glevel 100 in each suit, but I've heard that most suits can't max out all their techs until glevel 101.

2016-12-31 01:07:46

Ah, thanks david_solomon1.

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2016-12-31 22:43:53

This thread makes me ridiculously happy.

I played 3K a very long time ago in like 2005 or maybe 204.  I had a bard character and it was so much fun. I  also played the secretive breed, and even once you are in the guild, the quests just get harder. It's very cool, though, if you have the patience.

I have forgotten so much, but this post answers so many questions and has made me fall in love with the game all over again.

So thank you, original poster. You sound like a gamer after my own heart.

I didn't realize the differences between 3k and 3S.  I would love to play again, but now I don't know which one to play or even what guild. What am I going to do? Quick, someone help me choose.

I am also a social butterfly.  It is hard for me to play a game without having someone to chat with.  I swear, I'm not annoying. Well, I probably am, but we'll just keep that to ourselves.

I  love support classes, but I also like solo play, but I also like being useful in a party. I especially love the idea of being able to summon, or have minions. Quick, someone, be my brain!

2016-12-31 23:15:49

Hmm. I think the most minion-oriented guild is necromancer, though several other guilds get minions, like broodlings for the sii, aes sedai for warders and clone for changelings.

Sounds like you'd want to play a fairly adaptable guild then. I'd say Jedi can play a lot of different roles fairly well with the right ability setup. Priest also seems to be able to solo and support other characters (and I think gets some form of minions as well), and witch seems to be a good solo and support guild too. The only one I have experienced personally is Jedi, but I've seen witches and priests in groups and they seem to be very powerful classes in whatever role they put effort into mastering.

If you're looking for socialization, you probably want 3Kingdoms. It has an overall larger playerbase by about 4 times on average and it's dedicated social channels seem to get used more. 3Scapes does run it's fair share of parties and the like though, especially since there are some end game zones that I don't think are soloable. I could be wrong about that, but I've never seen anyone soloing Ice Behemoths.

2016-12-31 23:21:54

Thank you for that.

It helps me narrow some of it down. I love to experiment and try out new things. It sounded like 3S had a better newbie experience, even if there is  no jump to level whatever button.

Quick question about the warder guild. Is that for male characters only?

2017-01-01 16:52:34

I would actually say 3K still has the best newbie experience by far. 3Scapes is for players that like to mostly do everything themselves and figure things out. There's still the newbie line, but since guilds don't require player recruitment and many of the players are veterans creating alts, there really isn't much newbie help at all. 3K has all the equipment, the easy levelling, plus it's all but required that your recruiter in a guild help you gain at least some basic knowledge and a few guild levels. Doesn't always happen depending on the guild, but is very common.

Funny that you ask about warders. The strongest warder in game, and one of the strongest characters period, is female. It kind of throws off the theme of the guild a bit, I think it'd be cooler if females played as a sedai and the male warder was support. But instead you just play a female warder.

2017-01-07 20:52:54

How can you use the warders consider ability?

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2017-01-07 21:28:10

Have you typed setmod READER 1?

If you have and consider is still showing up with punctuation marks denoting strength of enemies and such, then I have sad news. The consider command was supposed to be coded to give us different output with reader mode enabled, but if it isn't then it hasn't happened yet. Your only option is to try to count the vertical bars for the various outputs.

2017-01-08 12:28:49

I got one simple question: Where or how can i find suitable areas or quests for my level? I dont want to step in some areas where i get killed in a short moment.

2017-01-08 12:31:09 (edited by JasonBlaze 2017-01-08 12:51:13)

try help areadirections , it should help you up

2017-01-29 12:21:25

Hello,

So, I've had some time on my hands. Imagine my surprise when I realized that I did have a character on 3K!  She is a priest, gl 13, and I have forgotten everything. I'm not entirely certain of what I can or cannot fight, so I've just been taking very slow, very careful steps. I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere, but I'll keep trying. At GL 15 I can choose a deity, so that is exciting. I mainly keep seeing different classes and having some serious envy. I'd considered deleting her, but I don't know how, and I figure that I may as well just see where I can go with her.

I started a character on 3scapes as well. Just going through some quests in the newbie area.

I have a question, however. I set the reader value to 1, and I still see the minimap? Compass? Whatever that text is at the top of the room desc. Have I done something wrong? Am I missing a step?

I am a very social mudder, and it's more fun for me to have people to chat with. I am Chelia on 3k and Adraea on 3scapes. Feel free to say hi if you're on.

I look forward to chatting with and hopefully partying up with some of you!

2017-01-30 01:37:37

help areadirections should get you started in the right direction for finding things to fight. Given that I've never played one, I don't know how well priests solo early on, but if you'd like some help getting through some guild levels, I might be able to do that. I'm not nearly as well established on 3K as 3S though.

As for 3Scapes, there's a little bit of a problem here. You can turn the mini map thing off with brief, I think the syntax is brief off no if you still want to see long descriptions, and brief on no if you want short descriptions. However, if you turn mapping off and still have long descriptions on, you don't see the room name at the top anymore. This is not the case on 3Kingdoms.

BTW, if you actually do want to start your character over for any reason, the syntax is wipeme password:reason.

2017-01-30 13:34:03

so, I either want to really give 3s or 3k a go.  No idea which one to go for though, as there are plusses and minuses to both.  yikes

2017-01-30 13:59:48 (edited by dan_c 2017-01-30 22:16:34)

I'm currently leaning towards 3 scapes, as player recruitment to guilds puts me  off a bit.  especially as I might want to try a few of them.

Alright, I've just joined 3S as hathron.  this should be fun

2017-01-31 20:37:45

I logged in to 3K as a guest since you said that was more newbie friendly generally, just to have a quick poke around and I noticed something a little odd in the newbie faq.
Namely that you say sharing of quest info on 3K is allowed, where as the newbie faq sort of expplicitely says "no sharing of quest info ever! at all ever!"
It does say if you ask the wizard who coded the quest very nicely they might help you, but not much else, which doesn't seem to go with what you said.

It's odd, I must admit without your description I wouldn't have pegged the games as specifically interesting since looking at the basic help and starting area they seems pretty standard, but obviously you know them well, and I must admit the idea of some of those guilds does sound rather interesting, especially for a player like me who doesn't much like equipment balancing.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-02-01 19:46:44

Man, I really don't know which guild to join, they all sound great. Torn between jedi, sii, juggernaut and changeling. Also how do you ask to be recruited? Just send a tell to someone?

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2017-02-02 01:26:09

@David you get a solid thumbs up for that first in debth post. It kept me interested and it wasn't rambling and I was very impressed. Great job, and great way to drum up players for a new, or in this case older mud!
smile

I'm nearly as stumped as everyone else seems to be. Which guild to go with, which mud to sign up with first. 3K or 3S.
But it'll have to wait as I'm busy with three different chars on Alter at the moment.

Thanks for all the info! I will be back to check it out.:
D

2017-02-04 15:53:53 (edited by david_solomon1 2017-02-04 15:54:57)

I honestly can't really help anyone make the choice of which game to try, it all depends on personal preference. You either get player recruitment and very slow advancement but with some slightly more newbie friendly features, or automatic guild joining, triple speed guild advancement and a smaller player base. There's also nothing stopping anyone from playing both, especially since each game has some unique guilds.

Dark, probably due to laziness, not everything has been updated yet regarding quest info. I think help quest has been updated, and the newbie academy quest has the correct answer regarding sharing quest info, but apparently they haven't updated the newbie FAQ yet. I don't even remember seeing a newbie FAQ, actually.

In an ironically completely newbie unfriendly manner, the place where you can actually see the change made to quest info is by reading post 799 on the announcements board, that is, type aread 799 when you're in the game. Many posts after this one also discuss major new changes to the game, such as the newbie equipment.

As for being recruited to a guild, most of the time the guild help file will tell you who will be able to recruit you. Usually someone has to have been in the guild for a while and acquired some of whatever form of advancement that guild uses as a levelling equivalent. You can then type players (guild name) to see who's on and look for someone who meets those requirements. Then, yes, you send them a tell and ask for recruitment. You may have to wait a few minutes in some cases since people will often be out on runs, but if the guild has active members, you'll be recruited.

At the time of this writing, the truely dead guilds appear to be Cyborg, bard  and Bladesinger. Dead doesn't mean there's no way to get into them, just that there are rarely any members of that guild on and it can be very difficult to be recruited. Also, you will usually not have any help getting started in that guild.

Guilds that allow for automatic joining on 3Kingdoms include monks, angels, psicorps, elementals and mages, as well as any of the core guilds (fighter, sorcerer, cleric and android.)

Hope this helps and glad people are taking an interest in the mud. I'm usually on 3Scapes as Jotham these days, though I'll likely be making a new alt soon. You can always tell which of my characters is online by typing finger silvanus and looking for the alt in the list that says online.

If anyone wants to run some experience and get some help through the early guild levels, send me a tell or wake me and let me know. I'm always happy to help and the partying features on both games ensure that there is no risk at all for lower level players.

2017-02-04 16:43:50

Hmm, I went with juggernaut for my first char, but it seems kinda complex, so much to read and no idea what I should be doing really, even with reading the newbie info files. It's sort of informational overload, and my mudding time is incredibly limited these days.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2017-02-04 17:20:44 (edited by david_solomon1 2017-02-05 01:42:15)

You can always ask over the guild channel for some help and explain that you're completely new to the mud. Often times you'll need to stretch outside of the guild files to the mud help files, for example help areadirections to find a place to run for guild experience.

If I remember right, there's an info quickstart file or something that gives you just the basics to get started, though admittedly I've only played on 3Scapes. 3Scapes uses a credits system to buy upgrades now, and I know the guild used to use coins instead so not sure if 3K is still using that system.

Anyway, basically you just need to get a piece of armor to reinforce, anything will do at low level. Then buy a mount from the mount shop on the space station. Then go back to the ground base and load the mount with ammo. For all of these you'll need coins, so juggernaut isn't the most newbie friendly since coins can be a little difficult to make when first starting out. If 3Kingdoms uses the coins system, you can also buy upgrades now, such as targetting computer. After that you can start running mobs.

For extremely newbie friendly guilds that are almost entirely self-contained and don't use much for mud coins or resources, at least early on, I'd recommend either one of the core guilds as explained above, psicorps, fremen or changeling. Psicorps allows you to donate money but it isn't necessary. fremen doesn't use coins accept for maula pistol ammo and a cloak. Changeling gets a benefit for using money eventually, but it's not required and can wait until you learn how to earn coins. The core guilds don't use money at all but aren't available on 3Scapes.

2017-02-04 19:13:01

Thanks david, I do think I'll give 3k a try since this strikes me as a game where acting a newbie is a good idea.
I'm however now stuck for guild choice between trying one of the less equipment heavy core guilds such as android to get to know the game, or jumping streight in and trying out either changeling or fremen.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-02-05 02:02:47

I can't remember if I explained how the core guilds are limited in my first post, so I'll do it here.

The core guilds are super fast to level up, even by 3Scapes standards. I'd say with enough effort, any one of them could be maxed out within a week, whereas the regular guilds can be measured in years worth of work. One of the coders on 3Scapes estiamted that it would take 100 days of combat time to max out a guild on 3Scapes, whereas on 3K it's more like 300 combat days. Since it's unrealistic to spend 100% of your time in combat, this translates to at least a couple years worth of work for 3K guilds.

The core guilds are designed for those who are completely new to the mud or those who want to advance a character very quickly. I tend to use the core guilds for hardcore characters since they get a rapid start and generally have more protection early on than the regular guilds do.

However, they cap off at guild level 60. There's no easy way to equate this with the regular guilds, since guilds like Sii cap off at guild level 20 and other guilds level well into the 200 to 300 range. However, the cap, while it lets you get powerful quickly, prevents you from getting as powerful as the regular guilds if you put enough work into them.

There's also a hard cap on player levels for the core guilds, level 100.

One final penalty is that while you can leave the core guilds like any other guilds, you lose all experience past level 60 and your stats are all reset to 1. If you leave a regular guild, you simply lose a level and 1 from each stat. Most of your time in the core guilds will be spent advancing player levels, though sorcerer is a little slower to advance than the others because it uses mud experience to advance skills within the guild.

Having said that, the core guilds, while lacking a bit in atmosphere, are very nice for learning the mud and getting some early exploring under your belt. Fremen can be good for this too, they're one of the faster regular guilds to advance. Changelings have some very good tank forms and so can be good for exploring, but have trouble sustaining combat early on.

I know psicorps wasn't one of your choices, but their problem when they first start out is that they have the ability to deal out a ton of damage, but they can't take damage very well until some skills are trained up and they start unlockinghigher tier implants.

This post is mostly negative, but I thought it might be helpful to weigh some of the cons of each guild against each other. For the regular guilds, they all eventually overcome their early problems and become powerful. For the core guilds, the caps can never be overcome or raised.