2017-01-22 11:03:41

Hi Everyone,
It's been some time since you've heard from me, and I'm here to tell you that I have open sourced Three-D Velocity. This is a combat flight simulator I had worked on from 2010 to 2015.

The game is now completely free and is released under the GNU APGL 3 license. No, this is not a hoax message!

Please go to https://github.com/munawarb/Three-D-Velocity for the repository.

If you want the zip archive directly, go here: https://github.com/munawarb/Three-D-Vel … master.zip

Finally, if there are any issues or suggestions, please post on the issues page here: https://github.com/munawarb/Three-D-Velocity/issues

Enjoy!

2017-01-22 11:08:37

that's definitely great, I'm going to download this one now.
is it the first TDV or TDV 2?

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2017-01-22 11:18:22

can anyone compile this for non programmers please?

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2017-01-22 11:32:28

Hi munawar, actually it's good that your ok, and i'm glad that tdv is now free. Has it the online mode?

2017-01-22 11:42:46

Would the agreement let us compile it and release a community version with....say...soundpacks and so on for free or would we just have to compile everything together?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2017-01-22 12:20:02

it doesn't have the online mode but someone could code and run it if they wanted...

2017-01-22 12:52:56

well, same question, I can't run the game, cause all of the files are visual C projects. so for anyone who knows about this, can anyone compile it so we can play it?

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2017-01-22 13:07:26

Hello.
For some reason, I can't run the game.
It shows me a dialog said, that the program has encountered a breakpoint.
If I go to show details, here's the problem:
Description:
  Stopped working

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    tdv.exe
  Application Version:    2.23.0.3664
  Application Timestamp:    588458f0
  Fault Module Name:    XAudio2_7.dll
  Fault Module Version:    9.29.1962.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:    4c0641e5
  Exception Code:    80000003
  Exception Offset:    000308af
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:    9242

2017-01-22 13:12:26

There's a compiled .exe in the tdv\bin\release folder I think, least there was in my downloaded .zip from the page.

Also on Linux natively

2017-01-22 13:59:24

yes, there is.

2017-01-22 14:24:28

@Kristijan

I ran it as admin first then it works. That may help, by 'it' I mean the exe in the folder I mentioned and Connor also said exists, so see if that works for you. I dunno if it'll help but it's worth a shot.

Now for my issue.

Going through the training and got to the second combat part with the bogey behind me, I do the split S and shoot him down, and....nothing happens.

Is that a known bug or did I manage to royally screw up the training mode when I got the fresh install off the original post and simply went with the compiled .exe file?

Also on Linux natively

2017-01-22 15:21:59

unfortunately, running it as admin didn't fix the issue.
When I go to debug program in the dialog box, three d velocity starts, but without any sound. After some time, a dialog pops up that three d velocity has stopped working.
Where can I find the fix for XAudio dll?
I think that it causes the problem, at least it's such in the problem details.

2017-01-22 15:55:56

Hi.
Ok, something you should not do in tdv 2 is try playing the game with an xBox gamepad, it totaly fails xD.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-01-22 16:46:03

Hi.

Could you split the sounds and the binaries into submodules please? I haven't cloned the repository yet, but I suspect it'd be quite large and I just want the code.

2017-01-22 17:20:30 (edited by jack 2017-01-22 17:22:38)

Glad to see this awesome first of its kind flight simulator open sourced. Mority, the controller I used is a logitech extreme 3d pro. There supposedly is an *older* force feedback variant, the logitech force 3d pro, but some folks have said that it's not worth it because of the cheap design. The other one that I've tried that supposedly had force feedback was the Genius Metalstrike Ff, apparently an extremely ancient controller by now. It even had a fan on it that you could turn on for longtime use, but not only was the vibration motor not bus-powered, people said the vibration isn't all that great anyway. Out of those two I'd recommend the extreme 3d pro, because the spring on that one is much stronger and much more durable. In 2014 the controller bpc programs was raffling off was from Thrustmaster, whom are well known for excellent flight controllers, but unfortunately they don't have a force feedback variant, or at least not yet. I have since not found a good force feedback flight controller that's not bus-powered. Better still, a controller of any kind just as long as it has all the requirements, which the extreme 3d pro does, should work with the game and provide a more realistic experience. As for online mode, seeing as that was programmed to have a dedicated server originally, the Raspberry Pi would be something worth attempting getting a server running on, since it should run decently well.

2017-01-22 17:30:42

Hello,

I'm probably missing some dependencies, because I get an error at launch. I have the .net framework 3.5 installed.

Error log, created with build version 2.23.0.3664:
Error base exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at SharpDX.XAudio2.MasteringVoice..ctor(XAudio2 device, Int32 inputChannels, Int32 inputSampleRate, Int32 deviceIndex)
   at BPCSharedComponent.ExtendedAudio.DSound.initializeOgg() in c:\Users\munawar\projects\Three-D-Velocity\shared\BPCSharedComponent\DSound.cs:line 132
   at TDV.GUI..ctor() in c:\Users\munawar\projects\Three-D-Velocity\TDV\GUI.cs:line 81
   at TDV.Common.Main(String[] args) in c:\Users\munawar\projects\Three-D-Velocity\TDV\Common.cs:line 238
Error Description: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Stack trace:    at SharpDX.XAudio2.MasteringVoice..ctor(XAudio2 device, Int32 inputChannels, Int32 inputSampleRate, Int32 deviceIndex)
   at BPCSharedComponent.ExtendedAudio.DSound.initializeOgg() in c:\Users\munawar\projects\Three-D-Velocity\shared\BPCSharedComponent\DSound.cs:line 132
   at TDV.GUI..ctor() in c:\Users\munawar\projects\Three-D-Velocity\TDV\GUI.cs:line 81
   at TDV.Common.Main(String[] args) in c:\Users\munawar\projects\Three-D-Velocity\TDV\Common.cs:line 238
I am running windows 10 1607

Thanks for any advice

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2017-01-22 17:42:36

I downloaded and it is working fine, thanks for doing this if you don't want to work on the game anymore, this is a good option so that someone can if they want.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-01-22 17:54:58

Roel, I'm also missing a dependency, I get an error that the program has experienced a breakpoint. In event viewer, I find that something is wrong with XAudio2_7.dll.
I use windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.

2017-01-22 17:59:43 (edited by arnold18 2017-01-22 18:09:44)

Hey all. I have a serious issue. Other than training mode, i can't access the other modes. I can start it, after the intro it just says race xy, and a fail text, and i dropped to the main menu. Maybe i have some data from tdv1 stored somewhere and is it wrong?
Edit: Yeah, that was the problem.

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2017-01-22 20:34:53

Hello all i can't run the game it says error. I use win 10 64 bit. And when i lounch tdv exe it says error please help me to run this game. Best regards, Karlitos

2017-01-22 20:43:32

@Carlito

Right click it and choose run as admin9istrator, and if the user account control comes up, click yes.

I had to do that as I ran into the same issue, then it loaded up fine for me and after that I could run it normally. I'm not sure why you're having an error but I'd try running it as admin first to see if that works.

Also, what's the error details?

Also on Linux natively

2017-01-22 21:12:07 (edited by Munawar 2017-01-22 21:14:06)

There are a lot of questions here, so I'll answer them in order of when they appeared in the thread.

hanif wrote:

that's definitely great, I'm going to download this one now.
is it the first TDV or TDV 2?

This is TDV version 2.

SkyLord wrote:

Hi munawar, actually it's good that your ok, and i'm glad that tdv is now free. Has it the online mode?

Thanks! I appreciate the message a lot. It's been a while since I've had any interaction with the gaming community here, so it's nice to be back smile I plan to open source the server sometime. I haven't decided when yet (it depends on when I get a chance to go through and clean it up such as removing registration checks smile ) but yes, the server will eventually be available.

DracoSelene89 wrote:

Would the agreement let us compile it and release a community version with....say...soundpacks and so on for free or would we just have to compile everything together?

This is a great question. This source is released under AGPL 3. This means that yes, you can redistribute source at your leisure, as long as you state exactly where the original source came from. You should also state what changes you made to the source, and the modified source has to be made publicly available. In essence, linking back to the Github page of TDV will be good enough, but the fact that you used source from TDV must clearly be stated and easy to find in your project. This goes for sounds as well. You're absolutely permitted to use the sounds in TDV for your own projects, as long as you clearly state where you got the sounds from, and the fact that you modified them to fit your needs. Also remember the key point that all modifications *MUST* be made freely available, even if your project is commercial.

kristijan wrote:

Hello.
For some reason, I can't run the game.
It shows me a dialog said, that the program has encountered a breakpoint.
If I go to show details, here's the problem:
Description:
  Stopped working

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    tdv.exe
  Application Version:    2.23.0.3664
  Application Timestamp:    588458f0
  Fault Module Name:    XAudio2_7.dll
  Fault Module Version:    9.29.1962.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:    4c0641e5
  Exception Code:    80000003
  Exception Offset:    000308af
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:    9242

If you're getting a breakpoint error or an XAudio 2 error, please download the DirectX installer from here: http://www.microsoft.com/directx

TDV uses XAudio2 for Ogg files, so if you don't have it, you'll get the errors I'm seeing that people are posting. I'll include that in the readme for the dependencies.

2017-01-22 21:34:27

I can run the game without any problems on Windows 10 X64, with no need to run it as an administrator. That's probably because I've installed a bunch of runtimes, including DotNet, DirectX, Visual C++ and I also got Visual Studio 2015 on this computer. So yeah, if You can't run the game, that's probably because you are missing some runtimes, such as dotnet 3.5 and latest DirectX components.

2017-01-22 22:53:37

I had to run as admin because first time worked then second time crashed so I just did that to saave trouble

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-01-22 23:58:47

Hi munawar.
Since I have you here I do have a few questions.
1.  what about treasurehunt.
If you are not going to opensource th1 to then could you at least include a reg patch or something for it so those of us that don't have it registered can legally play it.
Obviously your company is no more I mean I guess I could go and crack it but if your company is no more and its not coming back, just a thought.
I never used online mode, one thing I would like to know what about those of us that preordered the game.
Its free and all well and good I guess but still.
Also I am wandering about all your other projects torniment and all your free basic games, obviously these don't all work in windows but I'd still  like to get all the old stuff tourniment, th4, th3 etc, etc, etc.
If you are truely no more, and have no desire to continue with these then could you maybe opensource these or at least put them so we can get them and play as intended.
If you are going to come back forget I asked.
I enjoyed fartman to but still your choice, they are yours.
I guess I can discard my reg code and uninstall my old version now thanks for making at least this game opensource.
I was sad when it died.
At least this way even if you do end up in gamers heaven the project will probably in theory remain online for ever more, I have never had a project die as such.