2009-09-16 18:44:37

Hey a..
I thought I'd post this here, because I refuse to pay the rediculous amount you have to pay for technical support (Microsoft charge £46 for a setion of technical support).
I added a password to my user account in windows, and a dialog appeared asking me if i wanted to make my documents folder private.
I'm wondering: does anyone know what this meanas?
I've doen a bit of googling, and results tell me that it means that it hides your documents folder from other users. I've doen a bit of testing, and I've realised that accounts with limited privalages can't see it in my computer, but they can in fact see it in c:\documents and settings, and they can't open the folder anyway. So I'm wondering, what's the point in makiong them private?
Thanks guys.

2009-09-16 21:30:38

It would also block access from other users with admin priveliges.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-09-17 21:21:36

With this feature, the content of the folder is encripted and only the user can access. If another user try access to the folder via C:\Documents and settings, he /she will receibe an error message. This security feature is only full in NTFS file system. The encription isn't supported in fat and fat 32.

Sorry for my bad English. I'm from Argentina and my level speaking this language is low.

2009-09-18 00:04:57

Wrong. There is no encryption with this feature alone, it uses access control. Encryption is a separate feature, and with XP at least was only available with the professional version. Encryption would work fine in FAT and FAT32, the difference is that NTFS stores the owner of files and has permissions related to its access whereas FAT doesn't store this information. To FAT a file is just a file with a last modified date.

In theory  if someone had a Linux boot CD which supported NTFS then they could easily circumvent this. Equally as likely if they were able to remove the hard drive from the computer and insert it in another computer as an additional drive, using another OS such as Linux.

Don't rely on logins and related features for anything more than casual security. For most of us this is plenty enough, but if you ever had to secure business information on a computer which was physically accessible by people who wouldn't normally have access to that data it is well worth considering. Equally it is unlikely this would stop hackers gaining access to the files, where encryption could prove of some use.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.