2009-08-21 19:55:50

Let's say I have an mp3 file of the song all blues by myles davis.  How do I get JAWS to say all blues.mp3 instead of just all blues?

Connor

2009-08-21 21:33:28

Go into tools in the explorer window, aany explorer window. Choose folder options from there. Then, press control+tab to go to the view tab. Tab to the tree view and find hide extensions for known filetypes, uncheck the box and tab to ok. If you press enter, it will activate tha apply to all folders button, which you don't need. There you have it!

I like to sleep.

2009-08-22 10:12:01

I have this enabled for all folders, which is something I would probably recommend;. It's also mentioned in the jaws help as a recommended setting in Windows for use with Jaws, since we can't see the icons that normally show the file type to sighted users.

Scary that many sighted users don't even know these extensions actually exist.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-08-22 22:51:16

You can also see the file type on the right if you active the detail mode, but having the extensions shown is much better.

There are 10 kinds of people : those who know binary, and those who don't.

2009-08-23 00:26:37

Personally, I default to not having the extentions shown and only enable the ones I want specifically, sinse otherwise I found things slightly irritating, but probably just a personal feeling there.

generally, the only file extentions I choose to show are those for zip folders, ---- so that I can tell the difference betwene zipped and unzipped folders, ---- also pdf, sinse generally I prefer to convert pdfs to plane text and I don't want to confuse the two sorts of files.

Other than that though, I just go with the standard text (I can always examine the file properties if I get stuck on a particular occasion).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-08-23 02:30:14

Another way to make the change for all folders is going to Folder Options dialog from the Control Panel and not from a Windows Explorer Window. I always configure for show the extensions.

Sorry for my bad English. I'm from Argentina and my level speaking this language is low.

2009-08-23 03:01:17

Well as I said, I prefer to do things on a more personal basis through the file extentions property sheet in the folder options off the control panel, ---- selecting each type I want shown there, but to each their own.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-08-23 13:13:08

Well to me it is only three little letters. Just as well to have it there as not for my purposes, but then I often poke around folders with various different and sometimes unusual file types.

Without this on I wouldn't actually be able to tell the difference between folders and files, heck it sometimes still gets awkward when some weird program uses files that don't have an extension.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-08-23 13:44:36

Well, the annoyence for me comes when i'm looking through lots of files with extentions that I already know like mp3 or word documents for my phd. I don't particularly care what extention they are as long as they work.

I do have windows set to display unknown file types, so whacky file types don't particularly matter too much as long as their not too similar to something I had previously.

for instance, one game I play has great music which can be extracted, but the extention needs to be changed from something odd like pmx to mp3 in order to get them to play in winamp or whatever.

2009-08-23 19:08:22

I find I can just arrow through easily enough, and if I'm trying to find something specific I'm usually interrupting the speech way before it gets to the extension anyway. Just me though.

cx2
-----

2009-08-23 22:48:37

I am a digger, always looking for something hidden or interesting, and file exts serve the purpose well. And, the tools menu is a lot faster than going to control panel, but that's me.

I like to sleep.