2009-07-03 00:39:59

Just about every one I know has a cell phone. Heck, I use a Nokia6620 with talks on it. I know that some use mobile speaks from code factory. Humanware even have something listed on there site about Orator for the blackbarry wich is made by rimand I know that apple added some accessibility to the IPhone 3GS. It was talked about some over in this topic. I also know that there is the Owasys 22C. Sorry about all the links. thought I'll give those who might not know where to find some of the info that we talk about a leg up. So, wich phone do yall use and what do yall like or dislike about it?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2009-07-03 05:11:21

Use E65 from Nokia, previously used an NGage. What can I say? It's a phone, I use it mostly for emergencies. I've been known to use the wi fi for odd bits of surfing or email without having to boot my PC though. It also makes a passable media player if you don't have anything else with you, and I can put pics on it to show people say of the cat or something. I used to occasionally put a pic of something on my NGage if I wanted an opinion on it, rather than lugging my laptop downstairs. Handy when design is significant, when you're looking for something specific in an item. Can't think of any examples right now though I'm afraid.

I suppose the Owasys would be okay for older people, but I wouldn't recommend it for a younger VI person. It has very rudimentary abilities from what I have read, and a symbion set up with talks wasn't that much more in the past. Being able to set your ringtone form a bigger choice is useful, along with the profiles letting you swap volume levels and tone more easily for different environments.

From what I read the iPhone seems interesting, though I would be concerned it'd make me a target for muggings. More than a symbion phone anyway. I recall hearing people were targetted for muggings if they were using the distinctive iPod earbuds in the past, which makes me think an iPhone would be an even bigger target. There is advice not to use your phone in public, but sometimes you just have to drop a text message to someone letting them know you'll be late or something like that.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-07-03 09:44:04

I'm a Nokia N82 Black user. I run both TALKS and Mobile Speak on it. I use it for, guess what, call poeple, but I also use Fring (an IM-client), Mobile Color Recognizer, Web, e-mail, TinyTwitter, and many other things that I can't think of right now.
The phone just offers great performance, great camera, great screen, and is not too big either.

2009-07-03 14:28:44

To me a phone is a phone wich is the reason I'm still using a n6620. Plus the
Owasys 22C, from my point of view, caust to much for a phone that does what it does. I do hate the keypad of my phone, but I put most of the numbers I call in the phonebook in the first place. from what I saw, the keypad is small on what ever phone you get. Anyway, what can I say. Talks reads the emportant info to me, like the caller ID, and the strength meters.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2009-07-03 14:55:09

Well I had used my NGage for something like 3 or 4 years before switching. My sister's lucky to get through 18 months without a new phone, and she isn't even on a contract. The NGage had started being a problem anyway so a new phone was logical.

I agree overall that a phone is a phone. It's handy to have a couple extra functions though, for the rare times they are useful.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-07-03 19:52:20

Now there's the difference... To me, a phone is a small multimedia / personal computer, and so I use it that way. I am on a contract, so I will have to wait another year to get a new device, which will probably be another Nokia Symbian phone.

2009-07-03 20:28:53

Hi,
Previously, I used an LG VX5300 from Verizon Wireless. verizon doesn't have any Nokia phones, and I dislike Nokia in general, plus Verizon's service is excellent and reliable so I decided to upgrade to a Motorola Q9M. With the Lg, I used the builtin voice prompts to make calls, view contacts and use some of the menus but that is all the voice supported. For people who use a phone for just making calls it is a great phone. My new Moto Q with Mobile Speak is great though. It was a bit difficult to get the hang of at first, but I can now make calls, text message, edit contacts, and run applications. The games for the smartphone from BrailleSoft are pretty cool. The Qwerty keyboard takes some getting used to, but overall its a great phone. Plus I bought it for $50, since its only being sold online as a refurbished model, so the $275 for Mobile Speak isn't as much of a big deal. The phone is as good as new, but I don't know how much longer it'll be sold online.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2009-07-04 02:08:31

Some of the places I go, voice promps won't work quite right. so speech navigation threw the menu is a must, although I use a phone for the calling. Back in 2006 when I got my phone, the disibility department of singular was really pushing the N6620. I'm on the same family plan with other membors of my family, so I could save money while going threw colladge. Anyway, singular wich now att was asked about the
Owasys 22C and they acted like they didn't have it working quite right with their network. I forget wich was free, the phone or talks. Talks on my phone is v1.4 something, so that should tell you something. Trust me, that talks was out of date then too. The reason why I haven't really started looking for a new phone is do to the fact mine hasn't quit on me yet. Although, It has froze on me a few times, like during a call or while I was doing something else. I really would like to do some of the things talked about so far, but guess what, I'm low on money. I also would like to give att a few choice words on tethering too, but I don't really feel like causing trouble. Oops, wrong topic for that.

DropBox Referral

2009-07-19 09:59:28

My first talking cell phone was the Nokia 6600 (6620 is the american model of the same phone) which I got in 2006. As a phone it worked very well, but in other functions it was really limited. So in the summer of 2007 I switched over to N70, and in the next week my new E51 should arrive here. The reason I switched again was that s60 v2 is coming to its end. NO more updates and applications are being developed for it, and s60 v3 has got some new useful features which are important for me.

2009-07-19 11:31:11

I feel rather outclassed. My phone is a bog standard nockier thing with absolutely no access features on whatsoever. I can turn it on, ring numbers, and check voice messages with another number, and as it onloy cost about twenty quid I won't cry if it gets lost.

For phone book, voice memo etc, I have my nice litle parrot voicemate.

I did actually considder getting a pda or I phone, ----- but it seemed a lot of money for practically what I'd use it for, ---- which is phoning people, ---- especially considdering I usually have my laptop on me anyway.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-07-19 20:49:22

All fair enough Dark. In my case I find text messages useful for quick contact to family and so on, I don't text socially though. In fact I don't call socially with it either.

CW, I don't think they charge extra for upgrading Talks to a new version as far as I know. Like I said though I would avoid the Owasys at all costs.

cx2
-----

2009-07-19 23:31:54

Well I do make social phone calls, in fact because of the way my phone charges stack up it's always cheaper for me to call people with mobiles using the free minutes on my mobile.

I will admit texts could be handy for speed on occasion, but the pricing for mobile speech software, pluss appropriate hardware seemed quite a lot for the bennifit I'd get out of it, ---- besides, anyone who knows me knows well enough not to bother texting me.

Usually it doesn't come up anyway, sinse most of the time I'll have either my laptop or desktop handy, ---- even on long train journeys or when I go to buxton in August for the international light opera festival (there's a very nice litle pub with a surprisingly fast wireless net connection).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-07-19 23:46:45

my first talking phone was a nokia n70.
later I switched to a 6120 and I'm planning a switch again to a motorola q. I got used to windows mobile a lot because I have it on 2 other devices, plus
voice command is so accurate that calling people will be easy. hit 1 key, and then say something like "call mom" confirm it and I'm off.
and the querty keyboard is another plus.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2009-07-20 02:57:57

Thanks for that tip about the Owasys CX. that good to know. I'm one of those odd ones who don't text at all and call only when I really want to talk to someone. I figure that if you want to tell me something, you will IM, email, or call me. Then again you would put a message up on a form, such as this one, if you don't have any other way of telling me what needs to be said. Of corse I don't have any data plan, because I really want to keep caust down and have plinty of time away from the net too. we all know how many hotspots there are and I carry my laptop and PDA aka PACMate to alot of places with me. It's interesting how many phones are used and for all the different reasons for using them.

DropBox Referral

2009-07-20 12:23:01

That's why I put my ore in here, despite the fact that my phone is not in the least accessible. Though that I suppose depends upon your point of view, sinse it's just a matter of pressing the on button and diling the number, so for streight phone purposes pluss picking up voice mail (which can be done by ringing my mail box), it's perfectly accessible ;D.

2009-07-20 20:07:07

Myself I've always been quite clumsy, so dialling on a phone without feedback was a nightmare. I also had trouble remembering the number for the taxi company back when I was at college, on the occasions they forgot to pick me up. Yes they actually forgot once, then pretended the taxi had already been on its way.

I find texts more useful than voice calls because it's more reliable to contact for example my mother with them. If I text her she'll get it sooner or later, apart from when she has her phone off which drives me mad, but in those cases I would rarely get a response from the landline phone either. Leaving a message on her voicemail is a no as well since she always complains it costs her money to retreive it, and if her phone was off it would be just as well to text... plus the fact taht I'd never remember her mobile number in a million years.

The times I've needed my phone tend to be when I don't have another talking device on hand, even if I trusted myself to dial accurately. I also used only a demo version of Talks for a long time, it being perfectly adequate for my needs.

cx2
-----

2009-07-21 00:51:54

When it comes to dialing my phone without feedback, I found I keep on messing up the number. This is do to the fact that the keypad is small on my phone. If I had a phone with a bigger keypad, I may beable to us it without feedback, but I have gotten so use to having access to the caller ID that I really don't want to give it up. Also having access to the net while traviling down the road in a car going somewhere between fifty to eighty miles an hour does sound nice, but during those times there is nothing like a good book or some good music in whitch my IPod or victor reader stream will do just fine. I tried out an IPhone that a family member owns, and I found it quite useable and a little pricey for me at this time. I didn't have it long enough to know how well it will fit in to my daily life, but it has that cool factor that apple always put in to their products. still, I'll need to use one for a few weeks to know for sure how practicle one would be for me and of course I only could play with one for a few min. Dark your keypad on your phone sounded accessible to me, but it doesn't sound like much else is if you call that accessible. on the other hand if all you want to do is place and recieve calls and cared about nothing else like the phone book and caller id. LOL CX, the taxi company must had hated you. bett you gave them heck. I usually call my family on their cell phone which means that voice mail don't caust them extra and is often cheeprer then text, because non of them that I know of have a text plan and they can get the messages when they think to check their voice mail. That doesn't happon until their phone notifys them that they have a new message. I could tell you of at least one time when I was up at TRC that they didn't always pick up when TRC call because TRc's number didn't show on the callerID which ment I had to pass the message on, but that is a whole different story. we all can think of the different times our phones came in useful. What did we do without them? sorry for the long post.

DropBox Referral

2009-07-21 12:16:31

I had so many phones before my n70 that I could have fun with. do voice recordings, call people, or change my ringtone. then I got my Soni ericson phone and  I learned on how to transfer music via infar red then via the USB cable.
but I was constantly looking into a talking phone. well, I got it in febuary of 2008. that was when my life changed. I'll never forget my first sms message to my dad who is in sweden.
locally I knew what letters were under which key and I had no problems dialing with out feedback though I found the dtmf tones gave enough feedback after I learned what tone is what number.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2009-07-21 22:42:39

My understanding is that mobile internet fails at even walking speeds often. That's why train companies here in the UK have been working on having wireless networks in the compartments, with some difficulty as I understand it.

cx2
-----