2016-10-13 14:42:57

hello everyone
I really have a short question for you all today.
AS a developer, you sometimes wonder how much your work benefets others and what things you should carry on doing.
The best, in my opinion, way to find this out is asking the most important person or persons, and that is you.
Yes you, you who is reading this post right now.
You are the most impportant person and we have a question for you.
How, or have, we impacted your life.
To clarify, have Nathan Tech's games, developer resources, software collection, or tutorials helped you in any way, be it small, medium or large, we ant to hear about it.
We'd love to know if we've helped you in some way and if not, if we could help you in some other way.

Thank you so much for reading.

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2016-10-13 21:12:04

That's quite a hard question in general, but a fair one, though i am not sure that offtopic is the place to ask this specifically since most of what nathan tech does are games and such.

I'd personally say it's cosmic rage that I've noticed most since I've been looking for a space mud to play and Cosmic rage is a highly uniquely designed one with maps etc, indeed it'll be getting a db entry in hopefully the not too distant future.

for other things though to be absolutely honest a lot of things I've just not noticed, or not exactly understood. The train and boat simulators I've found a tad confusing in terms of their function, why I've not given db  pages for them, and the tutorials and sound rts maps i was just plane not aware of.
IT might b because I simply was too busy with other things, or it might be because I haven't been specifically involved with soundrts myself (I like the game and have played it but haven't spent as much time on it as some people).

I will say though i think cosmic rage will probably help people be more aware of the other things Nathan tech has been doing, and get people checking the website etc, as indeed I did just now. I will also add some links to the soundrts stuff to the soundrts db entry as well.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-10-14 00:23:59

That's awesome.
So would you say it is fair to say Nathan Tech's main issue is advertisement?

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2016-10-14 09:41:58

Well partly, however It is also that Nathan tech seems to have been very involved with specific things who's appeal is only to a certain group of people, eg, sound rts players.

Look at Pragma. His crazy mod for sound rts, while sound rts fans liked it was not generally known about in the community, however when he comes out with Crazy party, suddenly everybody knows who he is. This is why I think cosmic rage will be useful for letting people know who you are and what you do.

Also however, you might consider for your next project what sort of thing people might find useful or what sort of game we don't currently have a lot of representations of. I notice for example that you have a couple of blackjack games and a slot machine, however there are lots of those sorts of things around at the moment.
Obviously it does not need to be something as major as crazy party, and as I said I think cosmic rage will already help with that since it's very unique as space muds go, however perhaps if you want to have an impact you could consider what sort of thing you can offer that is new or different, either a game or some other helpful utility type program.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-10-14 12:19:32

hey dark
Thanks fr your detailed reply.
As always it's accurate and tells me exactly what I wish to know.
I'll certainly think on this, and look into some of my other projects such as:
my reminder program,
my time table program, for helping to keep track of when and where you are at on your computer, even reminding you what lessons to be at,
ETC
Thanks

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2016-10-15 00:25:45

I see a problem, namely that there are already plenty of timetable and reminder programs. There needs to be a really good reason why people would want to use yours over a mainstream, already-very-popular and established program.

2016-10-16 11:05:52

Unfortunately Tjt is correct here. I don't know about time tables, but If I need a reminder I'll just use Siri on my Iphone, however that doesn't necessarily mean a utility program is a bad idea.
Just look around and have a think what people do and how you might help with any given situation, or in game terms what games we might need in the community that we don't currently have a lot of representation for, look at what Philip Bennifall did recently with Jungle chess.

2016-10-16 22:44:56

I have never heard about you and have no clue what it's about...So nope, not affected me at all I think.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2016-10-19 00:28:32

Yeah...
The reason I'm going for the timetable program is I'm hoping to meld in a homework thing to it/
I myself, as a student keep missing the dam stuff smile

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!