2009-05-26 19:06:59

Well as the subject line states, I came up with a unique little game idea this morning, and judging on my programing skillz it might or might not be in the works.  If so, it will be a slow process due to my limited knowledge of programming, but it'll be a fun little summer project!

It

2009-05-27 21:22:34

this sounds cool. what kind of game will it be, like, will it be you battling loads of enemies at once, or will it be like, a one on one fighting game as you battle one opponent after another and finally reach a boss and stop the war?

2009-05-27 22:08:42

Hmm, very much depends on what style it is rather than the plot to be honest.

As to the plot, well I can already move subsonic wink
Think you mean super sonic. Countries also have very much existed for around a thousand years in a recognisable form, and even before that there had for a long time been kingdoms and empires which operated similarly to countries so I might deemphasise that. A breakdown of diplomacy is more practical though.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-05-28 08:55:10

While politically I like the idea of moving away from country system, practically I agree with cx2.

I actually have been working on the timeline for a story set 1000 years in the future which very much starts off with a centralization, ----- then things completely collapse due to an alien invasion followed by a dictatorship, and once things go interplanetary, the shear distance involved makes centralization near impossible, ----- in fact one of the most serious problems is racism against earth humans.

But as to the game I agree with Cx2.

Your description Malloc makes the thing sound as if it will work as a series of battles in individualized areas against one or several enemies, and after defeating them you move on to a new battle automatically rather than having to navigate your way there.

Potentially interesting, however really i'd like to know more details.

Will combat be real time or turn based? and if real time, how precisely will it work, ---- 3d as in Gma tank commander, grid based as in night of parasite?

I'm afraid I really can't comment without more information on the practical nuts and bolts of the game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-05-29 03:09:49

Well, a lot of that has still to be worked out.  Thanks for the corrections in the story...I shouldn't have posted a rough draft.  tongue.

The system, I'm thinking, is going to work on a smaller scale.  One enimy at a time deffinetly, however, a turn based ellament will be infused into it.

There will be 4 squares, or posissions if you will.  It will have a little bit of a board game ellament to it, along side the turn base aspect.  At the beginning of each turn, you'll pick where you want to move, then the attack/action you want to do, and to what square you want it to be directed at.  If your opponent is in the square, hit.  if he's not?  Well, miss.  You will have to recharge your cybernetics to use bigger attacks, as well as use attacks that will hit the opponent reguardless.  Later, I hope to add items and shields, special attacks, but I've got to really learn how to do all of this to be completely honest.  I'll address that at the end of this post though.  If you're in the same square, I'm planning to have some sort of minigame to decide the true possesser of that square.  That's where I could really use some help.  What would be neat to do to fight for the square?  Likes?  Dislikes?

Now, back to my saying of learning.  It has been a hoby of mine to make something fun I'd enjoy.  It's kind of like art in a way.  I can't draw, so I'll program.  I hate it when people say "I'm going to do this," and don't follow through with it.  So as a motivation I've said I'm going to give it a try.  Will it all be ready by the end of the month?  Probably not.  I do, however, intend to give small thigns.  Get the engine ready with message boxes instead of sounds first.  Then maybe put sounds in.  Then release one with items, and build my way up to get feedback every step of the way.  I think that with something along these lines I can learn how to do something I've always enjoyed to do, without making something overly complicated and involved (GMA Tank Commander) with physics, for example).  One step at a time sort of thing.  Either I'll learn that I hate to program after this, or I'll get an urge to go out and learn how GMA games created the elevation of their guns, and all of that math stuff that I can do on paper probably but programming it is another story, of course!  Only time will tell.

I've read a few tutorials on my language of choice, and have asked a few people the right questions to get myself a good start.  (I'm almost ready to put in the moves and AI.  That might come tomorrow, Saturday or Sunday depending on how well I figure things out).  Either way.  I intend to follow through with what I've said and get something out there that's even slightly playable.

2009-05-29 04:34:19

Thanks for the extra information, things are making sense now.

I deffinately approve your ideas of starting small and working up from there, and a turn based combat system is certainly something which can be as minimally complex as a dice gamebook, and as hugely detailed as a full on rpg game or set of D&D rules, ----- pluss with the medium of text first, then add sounds, you can just go on adding and adding and adding.

Well, lets see, ----- Suggestions.

Firstly, I suggest adding more than 4 squares, sinse it adds much more potential for interesting combat, ----- especially with missile weapons, Eg direction and accuracy of missile shots.

How about a basic 10x10 grid? Easy to remember and write code for in coordinates specifying numeracal rows, but potentially interesting in terms of weapon effects.

Then, rather than making a specific cutoff point betwene physical vs missile combat, how about simply having weapons decreasing in range and/or damage as they increase in accuracy.

thus, you could have weapons like scattershopt, which maybe affect a number of squares and allow you to flush out a targit at a distance, going down to lasers which affect only several squares in a line, going right down the scale to vibro blades or other basic melee weapons which only affect things in the next square, but could be majorly damaging.

A square system would also let you add factors such as cover, or specific weapon resistances. It wouldn't be necessary to actually add objects on the various grid squares, simply have a set of environmental flags which affect a number of factors, ----- eg, in the forest, damage from wide spectrum weapons decreases due to undergrowth and tree cover.

Other factors you could imploy are flags or calculations for stealth. These could be programmed as basic sets of bulians, or percentages, ----- eg, if the flag "enemy possesses woodcraft" and "Environment = woods" are both active, ----- pluss fourty percent chance of missing with distance weapons, pluss 20 percent chance of not detecting enemy position.

I could go on with the suggestions, ---- gbut I think your beginning to see my thoughts here, make the game a one on one grid based fight, then just expand with more features at need.

Of course, this is your game not mine, and this is afterall, just in the matter of being a suggestion.

With your sensable atitude to this project Maloc, I'll be interested to see what comes of it.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-05-29 16:05:56

I've taken them down, and I like it.

I'll probably stick to the 4 squares for now...but it is, after all, a project, and that's what projects do is evolve, right? 

I'll have to learn a lot...but it could be quite exciting!