2016-06-05 13:32:46 (edited by CAE_Jones 2016-06-05 22:51:39)

(Version 0.7, 3:48 PM 6/5/2016: https://www.sendspace.com/file/co6mxx )

A shady organization needed subjects to help perfect a secret weapon. That weapon is a sword, which fills its wielder with rage whenever it is used in combat. So, when they had you test it, the rage overcame you, and you began to fight your way out of the facility.
You weren't the one who they hoped would use the Red Sword, however. A weapon that has such affects on its wielder's mind was intended for someone with a much more vicious history. That someone is excited by your escape, since that means he has an excuse to hunt you down and inflict pain.
But, remember, the Red Sword was created for a reason; the development team and your rival are not the only obstacles between you and freedom.

Features:

• Joystick support

• Braille output (NVDA and Jaws, although it hasn't been tested with Jaws 16-17. Set translation to Computer Braille (US))

• Bokurano Daibouken 3-style accessibility features:

• Sonar which plays at the nearest wall, platform, and deadly drop. (o)

• Cursor which you can use to inspect the area block-by-block (g). In addition, you can scan an entire column (g+h), or pause the game and look around (g+enter).

• Object Viewer (f1).

• A vOICe-like sonifier. (f6)

• Save anywhere.

Planned features:

• Translations to other languages

• Self-voicing for at least English, possibly more.

Keeping with the tradition of NES platformers, the second level is harder than the third or fourth. While I won't tell you exactly how to find the secret way to skip most of it, I will tell you that old addage about excessive anger... something about going to 10 or cutting branches that you're standing on?

You can get the current version here:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/co6mxx

Enjoy, and I will try to answer any questions you might have.

Also, thanks to Oriol Gomez for running the 24 hour game contest in April!

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2016-06-05 13:41:23

Hello,
I think you forgot including nvda controler client.dll and saap.dll in the main directory of your game.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2016-06-05 13:49:55 (edited by CAE_Jones 2016-06-05 13:58:16)

Ah. You're right. I was expecting to finish the voices first, so completely forgot them sad
This is actually important, since the default to the title bar clashes with the braille! I'll definitely fix this with the next update!
[edit: the link in the first post has been updated with these.]

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2016-06-05 14:28:38

Hello,
A learn game sounds menu would be very helpful  as well, because I couldn't understand anything from the game at all.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2016-06-05 15:10:38

Good, and, is there any other way I can download the game? Sendspace is blocked in my country.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2016-06-05 16:30:21

Hi, so good game, but I can't hear any steps. is this a bug or there are no sound steps? It would be good to have any step sounds, and I don't know where can I climb or something. little confusing game, but You will probably fiks it. big_smile. but, very good, and interesting game.

2016-06-05 17:15:22

Hello folks, just downloaded the game. Two questions so far: How to activate NVDA instead of sapi? And is it me, or the character doesn't make a sound when walking?
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2016-06-05 17:53:25

Hi,
How do I switch to NVDA? I can see the controller client in there but it's still using sapi by default.

2016-06-05 18:01:32

Also,
I have another question. I can't reset mjy keyboard config. it's set my attack button to enter and even if I click reset, it won't change it. How can I delete the data manually and just play with defaults for now?

2016-06-05 18:35:00 (edited by CAE_Jones 2016-06-05 18:52:30)

Steps: Yikes, I don't even... will seek and fix ASAP! There are supposed to be steps, bumps, jumps and slides for all terrain!
Change voice: press f5. I wasn't planning on leaving TTS in, so I left it out of the main menu. I will add it in the next version.
Configuration: it should be under appdata somewhere. probably c:\users\<yourname>\appdata\roaming\jeqocon\redword\settings.cfg.

[edit: I think I've fixed all the can't-see-until-off-my-computer bugs. It will be a couple hours before I can upload, however. The update will also contain a learn sounds menu.]

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2016-06-05 18:58:49

I think I broke the game... I pressed f1 in the hopes it might put me on nvda, and now I can't even open it ... rofl

<- criticview
   aka
   akilor ->
My folding at home statistics

2016-06-05 22:32:20

Hello. Just as a sudgestion, I'd like to see a stage editor like in 2d platformer or Advennture at c:. Also, if you want some sound design work, contact me on skype at tyler.chambliss1. I'm freelance. So, yeah.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2016-06-05 22:53:29

OK, version 0.7 is up. It should fix the sound bugs, include a learn sounds menu, and each major section of the third level is now a checkpoint.
Get the update here:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/co6mxx

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2016-06-06 01:51:01 (edited by kingzombie 2016-06-06 02:50:57)

For anyone who can't download through sendspace here is this dropbox link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/13bpwqlvxk1c0 … d.rar?dl=1

2016-06-06 08:50:25

hi. I tried to switch to nvda using f5 but I got an error and now I can't open the game at all. here is the error that I get: Call stack size: 2

File: C:\Users\CAE\Downloads\games\Redword\redsword.bgt
Line: 1165 (2)
Function: void setup_menus()

File: C:\Users\CAE\Downloads\games\Redword\redsword.bgt
Line: 1205 (2)
Function: void main()

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2016-06-06 22:17:20

Hi.
The game seems to be so fantastic, sounds so amazing and everything. But, I hate to say this. The difficulty is too high for my liking, in a frustrating way.
I start the first level, walk to the right, jump down and get attacked. It's quite easy to dodge by holding the down arrow key, no problem. But here is my issue: I can't explore the layout by holding down the g key without getting attacked, which ends up killing me. So, I don't know what to do, and can't figure that out without getting killed, unless I'm missing something.
I think the difficulty level is too high, because you just get thrown into the danger without really learning how the platforming works in the game, and it feels like you don't get a chance to learn it, without getting attacked.
Sometimes, the character doesn't walk when I press either the left or the right arrow. If I for example need to take one step, he won't walk. If I then hold down the arrow key, he'll walk too far and fall.
I'll see if I get any hints or if there is anything I'm missing, and maybe give the game an other try. But, the game does really sounds amazing, so this is a shame that I feel like this...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-06-06 22:20:05

This is interesting so far, however I find the character takes way too long to take a single step and way too short a time to build up to a run. I'm liking it so far though. I noticed that in the key config that there's a key for a vertical attack, but that isn't mentioned in the readme or default key config.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2016-06-07 13:54:54 (edited by CAE_Jones 2016-06-07 13:56:29)

SLJ, you can pause the game to look around by holding g and pressing enter. Just press enter or escape to unpause. You can go directly into the object viewer from paused or unpaused.
The acceleration/deceleration is a feature, not a bug. It might be a bit too extreme, though.

I'm not sure about the vertical attack thing... I probably left it in by mistake when copy-editing code from a different project yikes
... Ah, yeah. I forgot to relabel the buttons. sad

Nin, I'm not sure how the game got so far as it does for you, if it's crashing because of what I think it is. If it is, then I have it fixed for the next version, at least.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2016-06-07 17:40:33

There's also just a button called jump in the key list that, I don't think should be there.

2018-05-15 00:25:04

the link does not work

my discord: gamer20#7735
my keybase, note you will need the keybase mac, linux, or windows client to access it: k:\public\theblindgamer50
if you also wish to contact me on telegram, you can do so by going to this link: http://t.me/theblindgamer50
have a nice day!

2018-05-15 03:40:04

um, yeah, the topic is nearly two years old.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-05-18 08:37:01

I'd like to get ahold of this too.

I've been going by Bryn, which is now reflected in my profile. Please do your best to respect this :) Mess ups are totally OK though, I don't mind and totally understand!
Follow on twitter! @ItsBrynify
Thanks, enjoy, thumbs up, share, like, hate, exist, do what ya do,
my website: brynify.me

2018-05-18 10:50:38

here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o71e6px2yvwip … d.rar?dl=1
and yeah, the zip file strangely named reword haha
for the game, it's really a good Concept but confusing.

2018-05-18 12:19:07

DB429 error.

I've been going by Bryn, which is now reflected in my profile. Please do your best to respect this :) Mess ups are totally OK though, I don't mind and totally understand!
Follow on twitter! @ItsBrynify
Thanks, enjoy, thumbs up, share, like, hate, exist, do what ya do,
my website: brynify.me

2018-05-18 13:21:39

oops dayly trafic , guess you guys have to try again tomorrow