2016-05-28 19:09:09

Oh, yeah Sneak, that's the correct damage now.  Because the bow had no lower limit on its damage, once rangers upgraded a few times, and kept arrows in stock, they could move forward forever without much fear or anything.  The new plan is to keep the bow as a widely ranging weapon.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2016-05-28 19:21:45

Huh, maybe I'm misunderstanding what the game is telling me then LOL.
The button says this for me when I go over it
Buy knife and bow upgrades (+1 knife and +2 arrow damage)
Before I buy that, it shows my bow damage as being 0 to 10
After I buy it, it says 0 to 11.
Am I wrong in thinking that 2 plus 10 is 12? LOL.

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2016-05-28 19:31:51

Haha, a typo in the code was reversing the weapons.  The +1 was going to the bow and the +2 was going to the knife!  Whoops!  Good catch and it has now been fixed.  Sadly it won't change weapons you already have.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-05-28 19:47:54

Oh okay, good to hear I'm not going insane haha.
big_smile

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2016-05-29 00:26:36

cool game, good idea.....first try made it within the 200 spaces and got on the leader board for most gold.....I know its a browser game so I'm assuming music and sound effects can't be included correct?

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2016-05-29 00:37:50

Actually I should be able to include background music and a single sound effect to play after each move.  For example, the sound of dice rolling combined with some attack sound (or something).  The main reason I haven't added it is because it was pointed out to me that many people playing this game are likely to be using their phone data plan instead of home Wifi, and the sounds would add a lot to the required bandwidth.  Not that it would be huge or anything, but at the moment it takes practically nothing and I guess some like that.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-05-29 01:32:01

from playing the game more, in my opinion the archer is the most powerful, then the mage, then warrior. seems like the warrior needs to be tweeked a bit to make him a bit stronger. maybe we should be able to purchase rage at the shop. or his upgrades should be lowered in cost, or his weapon should do more damage.

2016-05-29 01:32:20

I found a rather interesting glitch...

"You rolled a 1 and move forward.
Current location: space number 331. Enraged Bear encounter.
Lumbering giants have thick hides and claws the size of a man's hand. This creature has 11 health and deals between 2 and 8 damage per attack.

You fought against the Enraged Bear bravely, but were ultimately killed in battle. You have gained 11 gold.
Warrior with 0 rage points. Any built up rage is used to intimidate your opponent, lowering its health by that amount before the fight even begins.
Your health is 0 of 30
Armor level 3, which means any incoming damage below this amount will become a 1.
Your sword deals between 4 and 9 damage per swing.
You have 80 gold coins.
The next 6 spaces that lie ahead of you are Enraged Viper encounter, Razor thorns, Enraged Scarab encounter, Bog, Enraged Wolf encounter, and Bog.
OK
The furthest you have ever traveled is space number 331. You have killed 50 enemies this game, and 50 in total. You have died a total of 1 times, settled settlements, and helped a total of other adventurers who have visited your settlements.
The most famed travelers are warrior Stewie who has traveled to space number 331, ranger xorg who has traveled to 343, and mage sneaky who has traveled to 274! The most admired settler is who has helped 288 adventurers who stopped to rest and purchase goods from their shops. The wealthiest settler was spinks who managed to save up 140 gold coins"

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2016-05-29 01:39:44

Perhaps you can make a toggle for sounds Aprone? I'd love a sound for when we hit a tile of healing or for one when we pick up items.
I kind of want to get a group together to try and go down the lane as a group. I think if you added in some little comic book sketchings you could have yourself a nifty little social media game here.

2016-05-29 01:46:51

by the way, , I love it when I land on Mayana's settlements, those messages be the best

2016-05-29 01:51:46

yes I agree with sneak, how about adding a feature if possible to toggle sounds and music on or off before the adventure starts. and I'm posting the link up on my facebook and other forums/sites to get more settlements on the map and more traffic on the game

2016-05-29 02:39:12

aprone at the bottom where it lists the stats, the name is blank for the player that is most admired,it just has the number there

"The most admired settler is who has helped 288 adventurers who stopped to rest and purchase goods from their shops."

2016-05-29 03:11:15

Smoothgunner that's one of several little things I need to recode later.  What it is doing for that message is using the nick name (character name) of the person with the most shop sales, but it is actually trying to pull the name directly from the character.  That sounds like it's the right thing to do, but if that person's character just died and they exit at the character screen without making a new one, the character name is left blank.  So yeah, small bugs because I wasn't thinking ahead when I did some of the code.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-05-29 05:56:38

ahhh got ya.....loving the game, its quite addictive......here is an idea, possibly you can implement choices in battles. for example, player can choose to attack or defend. if player defends, they can block the attack taking less damage and then will run from the battle without gaining any coins . by doing this it really cuts down on randomness, and good luck bad luck. plus it makes you think a bit and gives the game more strategy

2016-05-29 08:51:36

I personally find the warrier stronger than the mage, but maybe it's just my preference and stile of playing. But maybe the armer coulb be a little cheaper? even if just 70 or 80 coins, it's nearly imposible to get 100 coins, at least if you want to buy things to survive.
@smoothgunner o, thanks. If that's so,  I'll make sure that I make several more setelments in the future, but now most safe clearings are probably already stolen, would have to go to 400 or so. Because I can't say the messages on my setelments are my favorite, I find the ones from blind knight quite nice.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2016-05-29 14:18:09

Would it at all be possible to put in a toggle whether or not you will use your rage/arrows/mana? Sometimes, especially near the beginning, I'd rather fight with the weapons. I never have my resources when I actually need them.

2016-05-29 15:51:10

yes agree with sneak......its not really until the mid 100s where you need your special abilities, so it would be good if we can choose how we want to attack

2016-05-29 17:04:48

I'll keep those suggestions in mind.  I have a few tweaks I want to make for sure, and some of these ideas might get added as well.

When I do get time to work on the code next, I think my main priority is figuring out and fixing things so that Safari and IE 8 will stop throwing fits and returning the player to the log in screen.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-05-29 17:47:57 (edited by sneak 2016-05-29 17:48:43)

If it isn't how you envision the game to be, don't sweat it LOL. It adds an extra bit of technique to it. So maybe adding a toggle will detract from the aura of randomness that the game seems to be based primarily within.
Maybe adding in ways to control outcomes along the journey between settlements shouldn't be influenced by players at all, but the choices they make at the settlements will be how they primarily play the game. With that being said, would it at all be possible to have a way to list all of the cards you landed on at the end of the game? Kind of as a story type deal.

2016-05-29 19:22:40 (edited by defender 2016-05-29 19:23:55)

Sorta agree with post 69, it would be cool yes, but I do like the randomness; otherwise it'd be just like every other somewhat shitty browser game out there that does just that.

Also, yes, the Warrior probably is the best, just do to it's armor and the rage, that said, however, the Ranger has the advantage of not having to even worry about getting hit a fair amount of the time, but they really don't get as many upgrades as the others, because they need to buy both arrows and health potions unless they find enough arrows to keep them afloat.  The mage probably has the ability to make the most money over all, but it's currently got a couple of problems that keep it from getting very far unless you get very lucky.

Mostly it's that the star tiles are badly spaced, even factoring for the hole difficult stretches thing, because there are more than anyone would actually need in the first 50 tiles or so, and not nearly enough in the late 100s and mid 200s, so I think some moving around might be in order, even if it's just to space them out more.
Also, while it's nice that mages get mana when walking through ruff terrain, I think it would make more sense if they got it at ponds along with health, but that's not really a huge deal obviously.

I was also wondering if it'd be possible for star tiles to give you a random amount between 0 to 5 HP as a ranger or warrior, because 1 hp is pretty much useless, especially for rangers who don't have as good armor.

2016-05-29 19:32:40 (edited by Mayana 2016-05-29 19:45:26)

@defender, hmm strange, when I played mage I do remember getting mana at the pond, if I'm not remembering it wrong. And also, yes, you already get a random amount of hp from 1 to 5 for the stars and pond, I think. Guess you're just unlucky and get 1 hp most of the time.
Edit: played a bit more, and seems I was wrong, you don't get mana at the pond. apologies.

Currently rage is hard to get, especially because if you actually do get a lot of rage, like 13, you will just lose it all in a fight with a monster with 2 health. it would be nice if you could use just 2 rage on that. Also, it's really annoying that you lose rage whenever you find a pond or stars or a shooting star, because then the rage is basicly useless.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2016-05-29 21:22:20

@defender
The reason why it seems like the beginning is filled with too much, is because it's been tamed for the most part. the 100 and 200 sections will also begin to look like that. So to will follow the 300s and 400s. It's kind of like a frontier. Or more like an infinitely expanding game-board. You end the game when you die or when you make a new settlement. New settlements mean more places to restock and gain health, and in turn that means people can go further. ETC. Hope this helps.
@Mayana
You only get  1d5 health on starry nights, not on shooting stars as I think Defender was talking about. Those give you plus 1 HP.

2016-05-29 22:24:55

I like the frontier comment Sneak.  It's almost like your adventurer is blazing a new trail across the land.  big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-05-29 23:08:26 (edited by JasonBlaze 2016-05-29 23:09:11)

hello...
wow this is awesome!
I would like to try this one,
umm so, you need the gamer acount  to play this game right?

2016-05-29 23:08:43

Any news on this bug with ie8 and safari? it'd be nice to try the game, very odd it doesn't work.

Heck I wouldn't mind a client if it worked.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)