2016-05-27 12:09:37

While playing around with a few small ideas, one of them survived my usual process of throwing away code I don't see hope for.  smile  Blazing is specifically designed for people who may want to spend a few minutes on a game, here and there, while they're out at work, school, or elsewhere.  The game works on iPhones, Android phones, iPads, Android tablets, and even computer browsers.  It has been noticed that using Safari on iPhone tends to continually disconnect the player, so using the google app instead seems to be the easiest solution.

Blaze can be though of as a cooperative multiplayer board game.  Create your character as a warrior, ranger, or a mage.  Roll a dice to travel along the path into the wilderness, battling creatures and finding gold along the way.  At specific spaces you land on, you are given the option to end your adventure and start a settlement.  This is where the cooperation comes into play.  Making a settlement causes you to start back at the beginning, but the settlement stays on that space forever, and serves as a safe place for other players to land on.  Anyone who lands on a settlement can buy health potions and upgrades, making them essential to help future explorers survive greater distances.

Players can see who has made it the furthest, and who has helped the most players with their settlements, giving people a few ways to try and make a name for themselves.

For a while I was hosting this game on my server but I am no loner doing so.  Anyone who wants to run this game on their own computer or server, can download the server at this link:
http://www.kaldobsky.com/audiogames/Blazingserver.zip

You are able to customize it to have your own messages, your own locations, and your own enemies.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2016-05-27 12:23:13

I'd like to point out that a few of us on Vent were chatting and playing this game, and I didn't pull myself away from the computer until 6:22am.  Maybe it was the fun of watching others suffer when their characters died, but I genuinely enjoyed myself!  big_smile  Thanks to you guys who helped me test (you know who you are).

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-05-27 12:38:34

Yeah, iOS and Mac Safari don’t like the game, but I have Chrome and virtual machines, lol.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-05-27 17:25:40

Hey Aprone! Nice game to pass some time dude. I've made 2 chars so far. As always, I don't know how far you'd like to go with this game, but I do have a few ideas of features to add in. I'll shot one:
Since it is a board game and we have to roll dice, what if we have to chose the direction we'd like to travel? You could create ways to walk backwards on purpose, in case a player is desperately searching for a safe place or a safe stop to buy stuff. That ofcourse would decrease score. Another posibility would be to let people travel east and west, that wouldn't increase or decrease score, but could be a life saver if you're going to avoid a nasty encounter or a deadly trap.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2016-05-27 17:53:54 (edited by defender 2016-05-27 17:59:38)

Okay this is really fun, I'm Ghillane there, though I created different names for each class.
It's probably one of the few browser games that I can actually enjoy... big_smile
That said, there are some pretty big balance issues, and a few spelling mistakes, all expected things at this stage but I'll still report them.

Firstly, Rangers are pretty over powered compared to other classes. I think you shouldn't be able to find arrows on corpses for sure, since who's to say that person was carrying them in the first place?  If it's possible than only rangers should leave arrows when they die.
I also think that the minimum damage for the bow should be 0, and the maximum damage should be 6 or maybe 8 by default, since this takes into account missed and grazing shots better, but still allows for the possibility of killing the strongest enemies for the first 200 spaces or so with out upgrades.

In terms of the Warrior, the armor doesn't seem to do anything in normal battle, only with traps, since you take the same amount of damage from enemies as the mage does, and they have no armor at all.
You might also consider giving the Warrior more HP, maybe 40, though if armor is fixed, that might become too much of an advantage, so I'd say play it by ear.
Rage also doesn't seem to do anything, or at least not enough to be noticeable.  That said, I think it would be cool if you got a rage point if the enemy you were fighting takes more than two hits to kill, in addition to those you already get when caught in traps.

I think the mage should get a random amount (from 0 to full HP) every time they encounter a shooting star, after all, if anyone's wish would come true it would be a magic user's right? smile
In addition, the chance of completely absorbing each of a creature's separate attacks, starting at a fixed percentage (maybe 25 or 30) and scaling up to a maximum percentage (maybe 75 or 80) based on spell book upgrades that could add 5 or 10% each time, depending on how generous you feel, would help as well, but also differ from armor in a unique enough way to be interesting.
That said, I think they should also have less health in total, maybe 20.

The game seems to be offline right now, and I haven't actually written down any of the spelling mistakes yet, but I'll post about them when it's back up.

Also, the only real bug I've encountered so far was not being able to roll at all, even with a fully working connection and after trying several times, reloading the page, ETC, at the following square, and with the following inventory (though I doubt that part matters...) O.o

You rolled a 4 and move forward.
space number 152. Mud.
Ranger with 21 arrows.
Your health is 26 of 30
You have 20 gold coins.

Anyway, I don't have time for you guys any more, I need to go play this awesome new game called Blazing.  big_smile

Update:
Okay, that was weird, while I was not able to use the link in the first post to access the game like I had previously, I was able to put it directly into the address bar, and I ended up where I got stuck before after logging in, accept this time I was able to move, so, yaye!

2016-05-27 18:28:01

Defender I have been keeping my eye on Rangers, since until their arrows run out, they are pretty much untouchable.  So yeah, I will look into balancing them out more.

Armor seems to be working for other players.  Against the lower level creatures it is harder to notice armor doing anything because they already do very little damage.  With armor 3, any incoming damage of 3 or less will be changed to a 1.  If a warrior and mage were both hit for 1 damage by a rat, each lose 1 health point.  If the same rat dealt 3 damage to each player, the warrior only receives 1 damage while the mage gets all 3.  If the rat deals 4 damage, since it is over the warrior's armor level, both players get hit for all 4 damage.

So armor helps more as you progress into areas where incoming damage are 2 and 3.  Over time those saved damage points add up.

Rage probably does need some tweaking.  It helps, but for a very long time that extra damage isn't even necessary since you can hack enemies apart with 1 or 2 swings anyway.  I'll give that some more thought.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-05-27 18:54:08 (edited by defender 2016-05-27 19:03:49)

Okay thanks for explaining armor more, I guess I just wasn't paying close enough attention to it.
I also noticed that you don't get any rage when falling into a spike pit, which is kinda weird considering I'd be seriously pissed! >:(
Also, not sure if razor thorns should give 2 rage or not, considering that, as a warrior you only take one damage anyway do to your armor.

I figured out what was happening with that weird mid game freeze.
Turns out that if you lose connection, then regain it, how ever briefly, you have to restart your browser completely and log back in to continue, since refreshing the page just replays the same turn. Or at least that's how it is with Firefox.

On another note, I've gotten the spelling mistakes written down now, and here they are:

Wrathful Viper encounter.
"paralize"
Should be:
""Paralyze""

Serpent encounter.
"engangle"
Should be:
""entangle""

Rough terrain.
"challening"
Should be:
""challenging""

I was also thinking that a possible fourth class could be a druid, considering all the plant traps we have.
Maybe they could gain the same amount of HP that another player would lose when going through thorns and such, or at least like a reasonable flat rate do to making a potion out of the local flora; and they could wield a somewhat shitty wooden staff for a weapon, possibly one that could sometimes randomly do more damage do to shooting bolts of green lightning or entangling vines or something, as well as having the ability to sometimes avoid encounters with non diseased animals such as wolves and tigers entirely.

Update:
Sorry to be the one to have to say it, but, I'm pretty sure that the large majority of these disconnections are on your server's end.  It's probably the same issue that forces people to use download managers in order to download large files like Swamp, and it always says that the connection was reset by the server, but I could be wrong.

2016-05-27 19:19:57 (edited by defender 2016-05-27 19:20:55)

Sorry for double posting. (Does anyone even say that any more?) But since I actually made it pretty far with a mage this time, over space 200, (mostly do to luck), and was able to upgrade my spell book two times, I just wanted to suggest that, along with the 3 maximum damage increase, you should also get a 1 minimum damage increase each time, otherwise it's really not that useful, or at least it doesn't become that way quickly enough to keep you from dieing first.

2016-05-27 19:20:51

Nice catch on those spelling mistakes.  The entangle one had already been noticed, but none of my changes will take affect until the next time I stop and restart the server.

I'm not sure about the disconnects, but I do know it isn't related to the usual download troubles my web host loves to cause.  The link to start the game just connects you to my home laptop, so the web host isn't actually running this game.  I haven't seen any disconnects for other players, so hopefully some pattern shows itself that explains why it is happening to you.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-05-27 19:28:38 (edited by defender 2016-05-27 19:31:15)

Heh, we posted at the same time.
Well, I double posted, but, you know what I mean...

Okay then, it's probably just me, I actually bought a nice Netgear router, the second level in the AC series when it was on sale, I think it's an R6300? But my Ethernet driver hasn't worked for the last two bootcamp  handouts from Apple so I haven't bridged it with my modem yet, and using my mom's computer is a giant pain in the ass because I don't know Windows 10 well enough, her NVDA settings are totally different, and her keyboard is impossible to get used to, especially with the finger acrobatics caused by the stupid function key needing to be used for even simple things like closing windows.  There aren't even spaces around the arrow keys for Christ's sake! :'(

2016-05-27 19:50:13

hello,

When i try to enter the address of the blazing game into my webbrowser i get a page can not be found page. as well when i log in via the link in the first post.

I know that webhosts can act weird, but there are also numerous ones wich don't act that weird. is it probably an idea to move the domain to a less weird company? so the website won't be down that much. It could be i am mistaken and that i try to connect to the website at the wrong times. but 9 out of 10 when i want to go to the audiogames page i get a page can not be found page. and at that time my internet connection is all good.

just brainstorming, no offence at all.

greetz mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2016-05-27 19:53:18

Defender I think I figured out the problem you were having, because it happened to me too.  When I checked the logs I realized we had 50 people connected to the game, which was the limit I had set!  I've made a few server changes a few minutes ago, including raising the limit to hopefully avoid that problem.  Obviously there is going to be a limit, but I guess 50 was too low.  Wow, I'm impressed this little game is gaining such traction!

I've added a new stat which displays the player who collected the largest amount of coins.  Since this stat is new, it only now begins tallying that up, and will not count any super rich players who may have already died or started settlements.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-05-27 20:26:30

I can't sign in to the game.
I see the description and two boxes under "account information" which I presume are character name and password or e-mail and pasword or something (I tried my kaldobski account but no joy). however nothing seems to happen.
What is going wrong? I don't see why this wouldn#t work with  ie, but whatever I type into the boxes nothing happens I just get bought back to the same page. Very annoying, it'd be nice to have a casual game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-05-27 20:34:14

Dark, looking at the logs it seems your message are being split in odd ways, which is what happens to people using the Safari browser.  If you weren't using Safari let me know, because it means there's another browser having the same issue.  I'm still working to get around the odd fragmenting that Safari does (for some reason I cannot understand).

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-05-27 20:46:50

nope, ie 8 not safari.

I've tried jiggering around with various settings and no go.

Be glad if this one could be fixed, sinse my only other option is! safari on Ios big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-05-27 20:59:54

Hello,
So far this looks like a exelent game. First I thought I needed a kaldobsky account to play this, but then after I just put a random username and password in it also seemed to work, so guess not.
I started as a ranger, and they really do seem to be quite powerful. I managed to save more than 250 gold, so now I have 111 arrows and quite a fiew damadge upgrades. Think I'm not going to die any time soon ...

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2016-05-27 21:04:55

Mayana, yeah I'm thinking the Ranger needs some tweaking.  I just recently adjusted warriors and mages.

Warrior's rage now works differently.  Originally it would be added to the first attack, but now it lowers the enemy's health before the fight even begins.  This small change seems to be making a difference, and I'll wait and see if that difference is for the better.

Mages have had a few big changes.  Mana normally regenerated by 1 each roll, which tended to cause mages to never run out.  The change now means there is only a 33% chance you'll gain mana when you roll.  The second change is that when landing on any Star-themed space, mages automatically spend mana to heal themselves.  I've found this to be quite useful, and I'm much happier with the character's balance.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-05-27 21:06:16

Dark, do you have a 3rd browser option?  Maybe chrome or firefox?

I've been tweaking a few game messages surrounding player death, so a few players have probably noticed by now.

Added:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the account thing at the start of this thread.  While it is in this testing phase, I do not have the server linked to the official gamer account database.  As a result, any name and password you enter creates a fake account that will work with this game.  It was originally a good way to let a small number of people (or even just myself) simulate being several players.  At this stage I probably don't need that, and could link it to the official accounts, but I'll hold off on that until later.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-05-27 21:18:23

Well, Aprone, thanks a lot for that. Didn't buy an account myself, so will gladly enjoy playing now when I still can. smile
I died on space 607. Thought I'd last longer, but the luck does have to run out someday. Pressing ok seems to do nothing, though. Tried closing the tab and loging on again, but seems I'm stuck. Maybe it's my browser, not sure. I'm using ie 11.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2016-05-27 21:25:00

It's possible my recent death screen changes caused that lock up.  I'm checking over that code again just in case.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-05-27 21:26:14

Nope not at the moment, crome is pretty cruddy with anything that's not cromevox, and firefox crashes like a bastard constantly and uselesly ie8 is what I've got for now, no idea why ti's not working.
I suppose I'll have to wait until i get around to chagning computers and operating systems, whenver that is. Very annoying sinse there's no reason this shouldn't work, it's standard html stuff after all.

2016-05-27 21:34:24 (edited by stewie 2016-05-27 21:41:35)

This is fun so far. I Noticed this slight display glitch:

Current location: space number 89. dingo's settlement.
as you walk in, a man comes up to you and says%3A happy travveling

I made it to space 257 and died horribly, but I can't seem to get past the death screen, the OK button does nothing.

I do have a suggestion, though. I wish you could save up health potions to use at any point, since right now its a little too luck heavy.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2016-05-27 21:57:58

Yeah there are a few places where certain punctuation marks are displaying funny.  I've fixed a few, but places created before my fixes still show up that way.  I'll work on it.

I had made a change that caused that OK button to loop endlessly, but it should be fixed now.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-05-27 22:06:41

So, some people might not like this idea, but, ah who am I kidding?  If I gave a shit about that I'd never post anything here... big_smile

Anyway I'm thinking you should find out what the farthest settlement created by a warrior or mage has been, then destroy any of the ones made by rangers past that.
The reason I say this is because rangers were the only ones capable of conceivably getting that far when the game first launched this morning and no balancing had been done yet, and they might still be, so it seems unfair to keep them, not to mention that it makes exploration less interesting for new trailblazers.
Either that or you could just get rid of all the ones passed Dingo's at 365, since that was the farthest one we saw at the start.
I my self will be losing at least one, but I can live with that, so don't think I'm just making an excuse for not being very good, lol.

2016-05-27 22:16:37

Now that a lot of balancing has been done, I'm actually planning to reset the server.  Won't be a popular move, but it needs to be done.

- Aprone
Aprone's software