2016-05-15 22:21:39

Hi all,

Oriol and I have been working on this game for a while. Some of you may have heard his stream a few weeks ago, so this might not be news to you. But now, we're releasing it to the public!

Villains from Beyond is a vertical scrolling shooter in the style of the old arcade game Xevious, inspired by the PCEngine version "Xevious: Fardraut Densetsu".
It has evolved into something that probably doesn't resemble it at all, but that makes it all the more original, right? big_smile

In this endless game, you will have to worry not only about the several types of enemies, each one with it's particularity, but also items, hidden soltowers, etc. In short, it'll be a while until you get bored of this game.

But that's not all. This game is fully moddable. It's pack system allows you to make your own sounds for the game and release them to the public through Oriol's website.

Without further adue, you can go grab the game from the following link:

http://oriolgomez.com/en_games.php

Enjoy!

A fight we cannot lose.
An enemy we cannot defeat.
A destiny we cannot escape.
Follow me on twitter @guilevi2000

2016-05-15 22:29:34

Hi!
Enjoy this amazing game! We put so much work into it, and I'm sure you'll love it!

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2016-05-15 22:37:02

waw new games , go to download,  thanks.,.

i'm sorry because my english

2016-05-15 22:39:26

be warned. It's friggin hard, especially if you aren't some pro at everything...

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2016-05-15 22:41:45

It is hard indeed, but you can get used to it. I know of people who can get to level 9, and I still can't get past level 5, what with the mothership battles and everything. big_smile

A fight we cannot lose.

2016-05-15 22:52:43

congrats! going to download it right now.

2016-05-16 00:10:49

okay, this game is really fun... I think I managed to get to level 4? or was it 5, on my first attempt but the trick is learning which sound is which sound, and things happen decently fast too especially later
the towers are something I didn't really manage to hit though, i think in the entire game I got like 2... the rest blew right past me

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2016-05-16 01:17:26

hello, how do you actually create your own sound packs for this?

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2016-05-16 05:19:21

am I the only one who thinks the future war pack that comes with the game ramps the difficulty up even more? lol because the sounds all blend together, I can barely hear airships which is what gets me killed because I can pick off everything else, but those fire from right next to me because I didn't hear them, and boom

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2016-05-16 06:03:27

Well, I started playing, it's pretty good. On my first attempts I barely got past level 1, but I'm slowly getting better at it. I am Slender on the score boards.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2016-05-16 07:17:57

Yes maybe the airships need to ave a higher sound? I m  ight update that pack at some point

2016-05-16 08:35:14

Hi

I'm all for retro synths and what not, but the one in the "options" menu drives me insane. I can't get more than "ssss" and "on" and "off" out of it. If possible, it would be nice to have the menu changeable somehow. True, didn't read the manual, so maybe it's in there, but just thought to throw it out anyway. I still have to start playing it, so we'll see how that goes.

<- criticview
   aka
   akilor ->
My folding at home statistics

2016-05-16 09:28:14

Hi
The options menu is not a synth. It's lpc with speech. Is it that bad? Is anyone else having problems?

2016-05-16 09:48:01

Beep beep beep beep... All those beeps just confuses me, even when there's a learn game sounds menu. It's simply too difficult for me to get used to, so the game is not for me. It's a cool idea for those who can get used to it though.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-05-16 11:13:59

@SLJ I tried to grab sounds that were as different from each other as I could find. I think it worked out pretty well, at least in my point of view and in everyone else's in my beta team, but yeah, not everyone likes 8-bit.

If you guys are having issues with the options menu, I can re-record it with some synth. LPC is something you have to get used too. Are you guys having any problems with understanding the numbers?

A fight we cannot lose.

2016-05-16 11:22:18

I am actually not having issues understanding it, though it took me some time to understand the options, but I got it eventually. But yes, I could see how people would have trouble with it.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2016-05-16 12:12:16

I just made a little playthrough of the game explaining everything that was going on. I hope it helps clear up some of your problems. It ended in a little bit of a disaster, but the gameplay itself worked pretty well, except for the fact that I'm not all that great at the game. big_smile

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5686474/vfb.mp3

A fight we cannot lose.

2016-05-16 12:45:03

Nice, definitely fun and actually this one has the classic arcade feeling particularly with the harshness of the difficulty. Level 4 is my best thus far though I've only had a couple of goes at the game and needed to get the thing with ground bases.

One thing which i would suggest is in the learn game sounds menu, you only get a brief clip of each sound effect, where as in the game the sounds for bouncers, enemy ships, ground bases etc are continuous and often  scale up and down. It'd be nice to hear some actual in game sounds sinse when i first heard a ground base I wasn't sure what it was, and during my first game I died several times by crashing into them until I clicked.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-05-16 13:18:27

@Dark, thanks. My aim was to make it have that arcade feel, and actually, I think one of my aims for future developments will be recreations of those arcade titles, ones that may not fully resemble the original but will still give you the feeling . Yes, you are right about the sounds menu. I think that's partly what's confusing a lot of people. I'm thinking of making it something like river raiders, where everytime you pressed enter on an option it would randomize which version of the sound to play. In this case, I would also make them loop a couple of times. What do you think about this? Would that work for you all?

A fight we cannot lose.

2016-05-16 14:47:34

That sounds like an idea as the sounds obviously move around a bit, just to give players a bit more information about what sounds do what.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-05-16 15:02:58

Hi.
I really like this game and it's mechanics, even though I am not really good at this game currently xd.
I have a little problem anyway. I can't seem to lower the background music with the home and end keys. My problem is that I have a small hearing issue, so for example the future pack is quite hard to play for me, due to the fact that the music is to loud.
Is that feature already in the game or is this still missing, and would it maybe be possible to put the music controls on the page up and down keys?
The problem might also be the keyboard layout of my laptop, tthe home and end keys sometimes work and sometimes not.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2016-05-16 16:59:46

can you please put an option in the settings menu to adjust the music volume? because everytime I play I have to lower the music volume which is very annoying. big_smile this might be implemented but for the heck of me I can't understand what that synthetiser says.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2016-05-16 19:40:03 (edited by defender 2016-05-16 19:48:39)

I love this, and I'm quickly becoming addicted, to be honest I thought at first I wouldn't because I never played mainstream games as a totally blind child, though I started playing fighting games like Mortal Kombat, Injustice, and Streetfighter about 5 years ago at the urging of my friends, and enjoyed them allot. The only arcades I've been to were modern ones that I didn't even make use of, and I'm only 20 so I just caught the end of the 8 bit era via listening to my brother play on his game boy color, so it was never as big of a thing for me as others.
I never really got into 8 bit themed dubstep for instance, and 8 bit remixes of popular songs made me go wow that's impressive, but I never downloaded them to listen to later or suggested them to someone else.
Some songs that have gained a solid place in pop culture, such as the various Mario themes, had me tapping my fingers along to the beat of course, but I never really played it so that's as far as it went, hence the lack of that feeling of nostalgia that people in their early to late thirties always seem to feel so strongly.
I certainly respect it though, and sometimes wish I was around for it, especially when undeniably excellent 8 bit music comes along, such as that found in adventure at C: as well as the chiptunes pack for beatstar.
Despite that, and the general simplicity of this game's music and sounds, as well as my previous experience with run from your past, which I liked more than I wanted to admit, smile I really like it, especially with the synths, which I do remember, and currently even prefer the default pack to the future one, though it does have the awesome factor going for it...

I've gotten to level 3, almost level four, and my highest score was 96000 something, but I need to get better at separating out the ships from the bullets in large swarms, as well as knowing when they are too far away or moving too fast to shoot so I can dodge instead, I also need to practice for what to do when multiple ships, or bases especially, are shooting at me at the same time near one edge of the map.

I didn't really have much of an issue with any of the voicing accept for one of the options menu items, but other people apparently have, so I put together a small list of what I thought could be changed to make it easier.

Note that when I say to separate the words more, you could also take that to mean enunciate better.

main menu

Consider turning the "change pack" item into "change sound pack" and the "pack store" item into either some variation of "buy sound packs" or just "store" or "shop" instead; this is because "pack" comes out allot like "back" and also pops enough to make the word it's near easier to miss.

learn game sounds menu

The end of the word bomb got cut off, so it sounds like "bah", like a sheep, or "bong". heh heh. or "ball"...
Demonstrating what the actual statement by the synth of which item has been obtained sounds like isn't necissary in my opinion, and it just makes an already lengthy menu even longer.

Options menu

option 1: less destortion on the end of the word sound, and consider distorting part of the word screen (maybe some on the "CR" sound as long as it's not too heavy"( instead of the words of and the, as all three of those words, edge of and the, are close together, so having distorting on all of them makes it more difficult to understand.  However, farther separating the last two in that group might work as well...
option 2: More emphesis on the letter "P" in the word play.
option 3: more emphesis on the letter "D" in the word window and less distortion on the first "T" in title, as well as either more seperation between the words "braille" and "display" or more emphesis on the letter "D" in display, either should help.
option 4: get rid of the space in front of the word play, because it sounds like an "F" , keeping the click would probably be okay though.
option 5: way too loud, I'm not even able to tell what your trying to say in that one, so I can't really name the exact word you should fix, accept that what ever the word that describes the entire point of the option should be isn't in any way recognizable.

Sounds

Armored airship sounds too much like ground base.
Anti aircraft burst, arial rapid fire, and shieldbit sounds are too similar
No sound for double shieldbit, maybe that's on purpose though?
The ("get ready") said by the synth when a game starts is weirdly quiet.

Good thinking teaming up with an awesome guy like Oriol by the way Guilem, "Ir mejor equipo español go!" big_smile

2016-05-16 20:03:07

hmmm. time to get lots of credits using cheat engine, just like I used it to get coins in beatstar. just want to see the sound packs.

2016-05-16 20:16:14

@24, this also totally and utterly destroys any reward sort of feeling of unlocking that new pack you just saw in the get packs menu that turns out to be really awesome.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.