2016-03-19 11:25:26 (edited by nyanchan 2016-03-20 17:15:35)

Hi.
So, I'm interested in coding in Unity, but the interface is really hard to deal with as I expected.
First, I installed Unity on my machine. Everything seems to be working fine. I haven't created my Unity account though.
Second, I tried running Unity.exe, and it showed a kind of login screen. I'm not really sure because all I can read using NVDA are "email", "password", and "sign in". It seems impossible for me to create an account here because it says "alert, invalid email or password" when pressing the sign in button.
After that, I tried to create an account from the website. Entering the required info, solving an audio puzzle, then a problem again. Couldn't control the "I agree" checkbox at all.
Does anyone here use Unity? How should I set it up?

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2016-03-20 09:55:29

Hi
it's not really accessible. Don't bother. smile

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2016-03-20 10:49:08

So, what can Blind developers use for cross platform coding or smartphone app development?

2016-03-20 11:09:09

The closest thing I'm aware of to cross-platform is HTML5 and Javascript, and only somewhat. And those seem to require any resources be loaded from the internet (every time; browsers have forbidden local files). And the audio APIs are a mess (the best bet seems to be howl.js).

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2016-03-20 12:22:55

If you want to develop for both PC and phones, web is probably the best option. If you want to do cross platform Windows and Mac development, Pure basic or python are good options - for pure basic you'll want to use an external library like bass instead of its built-in sound functions. For iOS and Android, you can look into corona which is what Liam used to make his audio archery game.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2016-03-20 13:53:47

Hi Yukio,

C# is another option for cross platform development, and in some ways the closest to Unity3D since they both use mono to work on operating systems other than windows.
I have made C# apps that run on Windows and Linux because those are the operating systems I have easy access to, but Mac also supports mono.
If you want C# to run on iOS or Android you have to purchase a special Xamarin license to do that.
Unity3D also charges you to deploy to iOS or Android.
If you use native dlls then you'll have to ensure you only use those that can compile on all your target platforms.
There is a free framework called MonoGame that gives you a bunch of cross platform game related libraries.
http://www.monogame.net/
I'm pretty sure Xamarin Studio is not accessible, but Visual Studio is reasonably accessible and you could probably use the command line Xamarin tools to compile for the smart phone platforms.
Visual Studio is free, and it is free to compile for windows, linux, and mac.
It looks like compiling for iOS requires a Mac.

Unity3D is basically C# and mono, but they've added a bunch of helpful game libraries and tools, and gone to the effort of making sure they all run cross platform.
MonoGame is similar, but not a commercial product so doesn't have the quality or broad set of tools that Unity3D has.
And as mentioned, you purchase the ability to compile for iOS and Android directly through Xamarin, instead of through Unity3D who must have their own deal with Xamarin.

All that said, this is just one option.
I haven't compiled for the smart phones myself, but I have used C# and Visual Studio for a very long time, so can help with those if you went this route.
And you would still want to verify that Xamarin has command line compilers.
Good luck with whatever technology you choose.

~ Ian Reed
Visit BlindGamers.com to rate blind accessible games and see how others have rated them.
Try my free JGT addon, the easy way to play Japanese games in English.
Or try the free games I've created.

2016-03-20 17:15:02

Changed the topic info.
I know that Javascript is one of the simplest cross platform language, and I have experienced coding a game using a Javascript game engine called Enchant JS. However, Javascript's audio support is not so good. Also, when loaded with different browsers, it sometimes changes its behavior or simply doesn't work.
PureBasic and Python are the ones I'm really interested in. Python's useful libraries and PureBasic's lightweight executable module sound really nice. Want to learn sometime.
Since I don't have MAC computer, I can't test iOS app development now. Buying a reasonable Android tablet and experiment with Corona is honestly much cheaper.
I've tried Visual Studio some times, but couldn't get what I should do at all. Eventually, the installation info was broken for some reason, and I hated it.
I've written some basic codes in C#, using the command line compiler which is in the windows folder, forgot the exact location though. I'm not really sure what can be done through command line, and what can't be done unless I use VS.

2016-03-20 21:32:01

Pythons a fairly good cross platform language, though you'll have to find and tinker with the required supporting packages. Pyglet, PyAL, Pygame, and other API's are good for windows, mac, and linux development, if your going for mobile you should have a look at the Kivy API. I don't know its level of accessibility, but another choice might be HaXe, which is also cross platform and allows you to compile code into other native languages.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2016-04-21 14:38:21

Hi Yukio

Something worth considering for Javascript sound is three.js. I know it's primarily a visual 3D library for placing objects on screen and stuff, but it does work wonders for 3D sound in JS. I was working on a proof of concept, but I was having trouble getting my little brain around iphone touch controls and making them work the way I want to. Touch controls in the browser are a bit fiddley. If anyone knows anything about that and can give guidance, get back to me and we'll be pals forever. I'd love to get something going to show off this tech that really hasn't been used by us the way it should.

And Ian, hate to correct you, buddy, time's moved on since you needed a Xamrin license, yes already! Microsoft acquired Xamrin not too long ago. And it's now free for user's using the community tier of Visual Studio. i.e, free. This is awesome news that I'm waiting to capitalize on. You can find out more here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3031 … tudio-2015

Xamrin integrates with Visual Studio, which is free and pretty accessible. I can't speak from experience at all, mind, not in regards to Xamrin, anyway, but it is definitely a good option. Another is Apache Cordova, used to be known as PhoneGap, but that's going back to using HTML5 and Javascript.

An exciting time to be looking into cross-platform development, I think you'll agree!

2016-04-21 21:22:49

Thanks for the correction Craig.
That announcement came out a week and a half after my post and was certainly welcome news.
Also good to hear that Xamarin is now integrated into Visual Studio since last time I tried Xamarin Studio on windows NVDA just reported unknown for the entire window.

~ Ian Reed
Visit BlindGamers.com to rate blind accessible games and see how others have rated them.

2016-04-21 23:19:47

Ah, I didn't check when the post was actually put up, sorry. I just knew that things had changed very recently there. Yeah, I think Xamrin Studio is tied to Mono Develop in some way, and the Mono Develop IDE did the same when I tried to use it with NVDA too. Which bothered me a lot. But if it can all be done in VS, then we might be all set.

I'd love a project to work on making a cross platform somethingorother while I've got time this weekend... just to try all this new stuff out.

2016-04-22 01:50:32

Cool, I'd love to hear how it goes if you get some time to try it.
My brother uses a framework called MonoGame to make his games work on Mac, Linux, Windows, iOS, and Android.
But I know that Xamarin also has frameworks like monoDroid and monoTouch for wrapping the native android and iOS GUI frameworks and other libraries.
Which you use sort of depends on wehther you want to use preexisting controls or custom render everything yourself as a game usually does.
I haven't tried any of it myself though, so will be most interested to hear about your experience from an accessibility standpoint.

~ Ian Reed

2016-04-22 06:19:54

I'd be interested to hear about your experiences with Mono and Xamran too.