2008-09-25 22:30:35

I think it's great. I agree about the auto forms mode.

I live to crochet!

2008-11-06 15:25:12

Mike wrote:

My thoughts are this: JAWS is getting worse by the version. I recently updated from 8 to 9, and I find that 9 crashes much more frequently, does strange things...

Hi,
I know this is an old topic but JAWS 10 was released on Nov. 3. I agree with this post totally--and you can find my LJ post on the beta here: http://munawar0009.livejournal.com under the entry entitled "Mommy, I want more icecream". Basically, I paid $200 to upgrade to JAWS 9 (my SMA ran out and I never renewed it) and then another $200 for a new SMA. In essence, I've paid $200 for each next new JAWS version--ten included. For $200, I get four new features which don't enhance my experience at all. You call the ability to read clipboard contents a "new feature?" OK, maybe for JAWS 9.1, but not a major upgrade! This is an SMA upgrade, and the standard cost--$100--gets people four features + JAWS Tandem which, if you buy it, is another yearly fee tacked onto your SMA fee. Personally I'm very very disappointed in FS this time around. JAWS nine was worth the upgrade because I've noticed several responsiveness improvements and stability fixes. Their new features list was huge! Compare that to JAWS 10--four major headings with feature titles, about three pages worth of "new features" but these aren't actually features' listing, they're just paragraphs upon paragraphs of the description of four new features.

Another thing that made JAWS 10 look like a host of new features was that FS announced that JAWS 10 has been detailed in two separate FSCasts. No, it was only one. The second one bragged about JAWS Tandem, not JAWS. and ITunes accessibility? Correct me if I am mistaken, but it was more the efforts of Apple than JAWS itself that made ITunes accessible. Any good screen reader should support ITunes now because it uses MSAA, that's not an FS built thing.
Munawar

2008-11-07 01:11:21 (edited by Mike 2008-11-07 01:13:16)

I agree. Though in my opinion, JAWS 9 sucks. 10 is a lot more responsive, and auto forms mode is cool. But again, cool for version 9.1. Not 10.0. You know what strikes me as interesting? In the past, FS had so many subversions, 3.0, 3.2, 3.3, 3.31, 3.5, 3.7...for example. So why does FS need to make a major version upgrade every time they update JAWS? Is it a money issue, are people not buying FS products? Hard to believe, JAWS was, and probably still is, the most popular screen reader.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2008-11-07 04:05:10

Small note, Jaws 4 to Jaws 4.5 was considered a "major version". They just clarified it. I imagine 3.7 was too, since unless I'm mistaken I seem to think that's when they included support for Win 95.

It's the version number game. Higher version numbers are better for marketing, they make it seem more mature. This game has already been played with mainstream software I believe.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-11-07 15:36:38

For me the upgrade isn't the best. Have any of yall used v10 with firefox yet? With v9 I could press a 3 and it would jump to the beginning of the email list on yahoo. Now I have to press 1 2 3 to get to the same place. I noticed the same thing on audio games. I noticed some other stuff that I'm going to have to check in to before saying anything about them on here.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-11-07 17:39:44

Well it's a beta, you could contact FS first to see what they say to your feedback rather than just complaining about it without giving them a chance to address it. That's the point of a beta.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-11-07 18:27:33

I'm planning on doing that, but acording to there page, it's out of the beta sicle and the program also thinks it's the final. Anyway, I was trying to see if any one else noticed the same thing before I send them the EMail. maybe a pach will be out within the next month or two or three. I can laugh at them talking like they added Itunes accessibility. What did they improve on, the store? Anyway, I think I have my little note typed. just gotta hit send, ok, or whatever that button is.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-11-08 17:44:30

Here are my final thoughts on this:

A) The entire thing should be 9.1. And be a free upgrade. I mean, not wanting to talk, like, cheap and ungreatful, but I really don't see the use in upgrading to JAWS10 final. The beta was free for those with a JAWS 9 license. Which I've got. That's all I need for now, all I see if a real weird problem in which it says blank blank blank blank whenever I move down by lines sometimes. Othee than that it isn't that bad.

2008-11-08 22:02:52

for me i use jaws 9.0 and when i start the computer and try to start my sinthesiser it appear a strange error. if i restart jaws it works.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2008-11-11 01:20:45

I agree with you andy. there aint much more if anything to tell. Nin don't know what to tell you there. As for the bugs I was griping about, FS knows about. Took at least an hour on the phone taking them threw the steps to recreate the problems. So I will weight and keep my mouth shut and see if the problems get fix. This should be my final post on this topic, I hope.

DropBox Referral