2015-10-27 18:48:53

Hello Everyone,

So as my topic title states Movement Versus Static.
I have been dabbling in my mind and in practiceon how it would be best for a blind player to navigate through a world.

We have 3d audio , which is great but maybe it is just me but it is still hard to navigate around through worlds.
Even when you have a map in your mind and where all objects are located.
It is easy to get stuck moving around to get to a certain point.
Hence why i am daabling around with static.

Static method.
Example Teleporting.
Simply move to points on the map using direct coordinates by selection.

For example: Visit The Storage Keeper.
When selecting an option like that you would be in front of that selected object / npc.

Which makes moving around a lot more effecient but would limit free roaming.

So my question , what would you prefer and why ?
Are there good solutions or ideas for a movement system?

For an rpg i would actually after teleporting put a player in a location where there are no objects but mearly monsters and some ground changes.
Which would make them find and attack a lot easier.

Or use random encounters like the pokemon game does.
Walk around in a forest and randomly encountering monsters.

Any Thoughts ?

Put your coding where your mouth is.

2015-10-27 23:52:59

No, it's not hard to navigate worlds when blind, just as long as there is a coordinate system, the ability to side step, walk in a 90 degree angle... ETC. And maybe beacons such as in swamp. I actually prefer movement.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-10-28 02:26:23

Steve, I'm with you dude, moviment for sure. Xsense, please, consider playing some games from the database for you to have an idea.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2015-10-28 02:28:51

Although, I feel like it works better in Swamp than in many other games that try to have free FPS-style movement. The compass, direction-snapping, beacons, and radar are all extremely helpful, in the same way that a cane or orienting parallel to a wall or sidewalk are helpful IRL. It kinda seems like many games that I've tried which try to use better 3D sound than Swamp are harder to navigate, and also lack features like these. (There might also be an uncanny valley thing, where Swamp works better because the sound isn't as realistic, so I'm not expecting to be able to sense the shape of the room as well as real life?)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-10-28 03:01:41

CAE, I've felt that very same way in regards to the "uncanny valley".  Not everyone understands why I do it, but I like to keep myself in the range of "functional" without trying too hard to be "realistic".  Trying to win that battle usually does more harm than good, but again, very few people seem to understand that.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2015-10-28 04:15:18

Actually I'm with you on that Aprone because as much as I like realism, it's just fun to log into swamp and play. Not realistic but when you're in an extreme battle? Face it. Who's really paying that much attention to atmospherics?

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support