2015-10-22 20:15:10

OMG. The temperature in hell just dropped another degree. Clang will be used as Microsoft's cross-platform first-stage compiler. El Reg reports.

Also mentioned is that MS will be making a build-only toolset in the fashion of Apple's command-line tools. As things stand, that's probably the best news we've ever heard. I just hope they include enough tools to be useful, like resource compilers and the like, else it's just another meaningless olive branch.

Just myself, as usual.

2015-10-22 20:38:23

Hello,
I'm actually wondering what platforms this will be able to compile for. From what I'm reading, it seems to be targeting mobile, which is kind of interesting.

2015-10-22 22:31:04

Well at a guess I'd say it's because clang is the best choice for everything. Android was GCC or Clang, iOS is Clang, and MS is MSVC, which doesn't run on either of the other two platforms. And for desktop platforms the story is basically the same since the development environments parallel the child OSes: Mac for iOS, anything for Java, and MSVC for Windows hosts. This is just MS stepping into line, picking up decent standardisation and incidentally being in a much better place to dwarf the competition by providing tools to cross-compile your stuff on anything.

Which, honestly, as long as there continues to be choice, is a very good thing. It could of course simply lead to MS once again towering over its competitors, though, which would not.

Just myself, as usual.

2015-10-23 07:06:49

But here's the problem with that. If their porting clang to windows, they better port the entire LLVM system over. If they don't, I'd have to build the missing components, and CMake is a bitch.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github