2006-08-03 15:20:37

Discuss the experimental games (http://www.audiogames.net/playcenter/index_exp.php) here. Remember, these games are made by students within the time span of a few weeks, so keep this in mind!

2006-08-04 17:57:42

i actually like these games. you just need to be pacient with them.
i have not figured out sightless yet. i sort of figured out sonar but i still don't really get it -- do you just move left and right, how many things do you need to kill etc.
i found one thing out about sightless -- it's a mouse game, fighting or sorts.
if i find out any more about these 2 games i will let you guys know.

2006-08-05 21:43:38

Please do... smile

Richard!

2006-08-06 12:53:12

great news guys! i think i know how sightless works! when the enmy tries to attack you (it makes a sort of punch (street fighter missing a punch sound)) and when you hear it, press your left mouse button to hit him. repeat til he dies. then on the next one do the same. there are only 2 enemies -- the game is not fully finished.
and, i really need someone to help me out with sonar! i move my mouse a bit and hear zombies, but i am nott too sure how to target them. do i just centre them or what?

2006-08-17 16:21:54

Hi,

I made the Sonar game so I might aswell explain how it works.
The player is in the middle of a room and is getting approached by enemies. With the mouse the player can aim his/her shotgun, the imagionary crosshair is pointing exactly at the direction you're listening to. That means that if you hear an enemy right in front of you you should be able to kill it. When shooting a ray is cast from the origin of the player to the direction he or she is aiming at and is tested against box shaped bounding volumes around the enemies.
You don't have to walk around, the player remains stationary, this is because of a design issue. I had the player walking around before but that caused the following problems:

Sound choice:
- What sound do you play when a player hits a wall or an object?
- The player and the enemies would need to have footsteps, but overwhelming the player with sound
didn't seem like a very good idea.

Level design:
- Making a leveleditor to place walls and obstacles seemed a bit too much

Sander showed us a 3D game in which you walked in a 3D environment and bumping into walls was indicated by a very annoying beep. We had a more realistic soundscape in mind so we decided to do away with the ability to walk. At some point I wanted to have the player ride on the back of a motorcycle, so I could test the doppler effect but I ran out of time smile

There was another issue, which we did solve, regarding aiming. At first it was possible to rotate around the X, Y and Z axis, but this caused a lot of unneccesary confusion, besides aiming was already hard enough when being restricted to only one rotation-axis. In the room there's a stationary object (machine) which helps the player to (accurately) estimate his/her orientation in relation to the approaching enemy.

A few comments about the version that's released:
- The game makes heavy use of ripped Doom 3 samples (most of them are postprocessed though), when distributing the game you might want to change them. (I didn't know this game was going to be released).
- The source code is a mess, but at least it enables you to determine the winning conditions for yourself (A tiny scripting system or at least a configuration file would've been very useful)
- I've made a tiny softsynth (based on physical modelling) which can produce nice soundscapes, it's pretty easy to plug into the game and it would save a lot of diskspace (10mb is quite a lot in my opinion).

2006-08-18 16:05:08

did you develop any other of these games? i enjoy sonar, though i wish the game can be completed, since, it has level 1 and final level in the directory of sounds.

2006-08-18 16:07:03

oh, and sanda, please could you put the 3d game you showed them in the playcentre some when? i love 3d games. they rule!

2006-08-18 18:28:34

aaron wrote:

did you develop any other of these games? i enjoy sonar, though i wish the game can be completed, since, it has level 1 and final level in the directory of sounds.

I've haven't made any other audio games, the idea never struck me before Sander and Richard talked about it. That said, I am interested in making another audiogame, but I need a good idea first smile
If you have any specific wishes I can make changes to Sonar. And you're right, it's one level and it doesn't really have any ending conditions because of presentation purposes, but it's easy to add.

2006-08-18 18:51:39

you could make a space shooter. (no, not like troopanum at all) now a days, space shoters invole yougoing up and down as well as left and right. and some even involve you not just shooting things, but doing mission objectives. i do not know if this could be done well, but it might work. i know of a shoter game for playstation 2, star wars jedi star fighter. it's the sort of thing that could break some ground.
what do you guys think? and do you have any other examples of this type of space game?

2006-08-18 19:36:09

I'm primarily a graphics programmer so it would be nice to create a visually attracktive (arcade-ish) game which can also be enjoyed by those who are visually impaired. I do have an idea, but it requires prototyping and a quite advanced soundsystem. So I'll be busy for a while smile

2006-11-02 14:31:39

Hey, I am the creator of Sightless and I am surprised to even see my game here. It is not finished, nor any fun to play yet. I am still working on it, but I am working on severall other projects as well, so progress is slow. In this version you only get to beat up 2 thugs and it stops apruptly after that.

You play the game using your mouse and keyboard at the same time. you move your charracter around with the arrow keys and you swing your fists with your mouse.

Patience is key in this game. Listen carefully to were the enemy is walking. He is standing in front of you in the beginning but he might walk to the left or right after a while. If he swings and is still standing in front of you, dodge his blow by walking backwards (down arrow key), than quickly hit him by pressing the mouse button (if you move the mouse to the left or right now, you might miss him).
If he is standing left of you and swings, you need to dodge to the right (right arrow key), than quickly hit him by pressing the mouse button while swinging your mouse to the left. (and ofcourse the other way around when he is standing to your right.)
I don't think this version has the health code allready installed in it but if you get hit to many times yourself you should hear yourself starting to breath heavily and if you get hit even more you start to hear your pulse fasten.

The story in the full version is about a young blind martial arts monk who is seeking revenge for his murdered girlfriend. He will beat the crap out of severall thugs, torturing them as he works his way up the one who ordered his girlfriends death. Other thugs might fire weapons at you, (forcing you to dodge before he shoots) or know of your blindness and will want to exploite that by trowing things to your right while they are standing on your left, or drug you so you hear all kinds of freaky sounds to distract you. And their will be other nasty surprises on the way.

I like to hear your thougts, do you think this will work eventually, do you think it will be fun?

2006-11-09 19:32:02

Well, I've tried a few of the games. Unfortunately, quite a few of them require things that aren't possible for me, such as net framework,or shockwave, niether of which work for me.

I suspect shockwave games use ports that my university connection doesn't like, sinse whenever I try the Curb game, Drive or sudo san, at some point in the game internet explorer will lock up and give me error messages.

I tried Sound pong, but unfortunately Sound pong seemed to encounter multiple problems, giving me many error messages, accompaniedd with a long list of anouncements about how many points my opponent and I had (which is incredibly strange sinse I never actually got the game running).

I did however get Jumpman working, and while the game was incredibly symple, I was deffinately impressed with the random instructions delivered by the inthusiastic programmer, and the game's very unique approach to soundtrack. I suspect when the game has more levels it might be a fun litle diversion, especially if the developer can add some extra things to do besides jumping cars.

when I get some new batteries for my mouse, i'll certainly give Kill all zombies and a couple of other games a proper try.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-04-10 17:02:56

Hi
I wish, that there are downloadable Versions of the onlinegames. I wish to play these games ofline, too.
In my opinion, the ideas about sightless are very good. Is an updated version available right now?
Greets
Niklas

2007-04-10 17:32:12

I will be updating my sightless game along with an article on using the mouse in audio games. It will take a while, because I will try to get more voice actors than just myself, and I will try to record it a bit more professional, but thank you for the compliment. smile

2008-05-08 07:10:52

jannyabert, please refrain from using the report link in the way you did. It is for reporting posts which are offensive or otherwise require the attention of a moderator to alter or remove for some reason, not for dropping in messages willy nilly.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-11-08 13:19:57

i enjoy sonar, though i wish the game can be completed, since, it has level 1 and final level in the directory of sounds..............
Cribbage

2010-04-16 18:59:12

Niels wrote:
aaron wrote:

I've haven't made any other audio games, the idea never struck me before Sander and Richard talked about it. That said, I am interested in making another audiogame, but I need a good idea first smile
If you have any specific wishes I can make changes to Sonar. And you're right, it's one level and it doesn't really have any ending conditions because of presentation purposes, but it's easy to add.

Helo everyone, new audiogame...? Maybe I can help..
    I just love rpg based games, if you want to work in a game like this, I can give you a hand with the history and sound efects.

2010-04-16 19:07:35

Sendermen wrote:

Discuss the experimental games (http://www.audiogames.net/playcenter/index_exp.php) here. Remember, these games are made by students within the time span of a few weeks, so keep this in mind!

Ye, I know, and they're doing a nice work!
    I'd like to talk about two experimental games I've just tested, rythmic_station and audio rumble, they're perfect! Maybe the developers can add new stages and make the games bether. Other two games I like are bountyhunter and big_cahuna, but there are some bugs to fix.

2010-04-16 19:13:00

aaron wrote:

you could make a space shooter...

Another good game with this theme is Star Craft, and maybe it is easyer than Starwars to be made. Sorry for possible grammar mistakes but my english isn't working well.

2010-04-16 19:17:32

Brian Bors wrote:

Hey, I am the creator of Sightless...

Great! Do it! I just can't holdon to play it!

2010-04-16 21:15:51

First please don't post multiple times, try to keep it to one post at a time. You also don't need to use the quote function to reply to someone.

Secondly Starcraft is more like SoundRTS in a sci fi setting than a space combat game. It was actually following on the heels of Warcraft 2 in a way, another old strategy game commonly confused with its MMO cousin.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-04-20 17:51:43

Well I'am sorry, I'll take care of it next time.
    Thanks for the clue.

2010-04-21 09:14:28

No trouble and welcome to the forum.

cx2
-----

2011-09-09 02:03:41

Hmm. now I know how to play after the very helpful 'figure it out' insturctions I'll see if I can actually kill something

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2014-07-04 04:24:03

Yo peeps. Does anyone play kill all zombies? Do they have a link to it? The one on the web page doesn't work, it takes me to some site that is for sighted dudes. Also could someone tell me a little more about it? All i know is you kill zombies. How do you kill them, and yeah...., Can someone tell me about the game in geniral?

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.