2015-04-03 17:24:09

Hi all!
So, I was examining the code for my latest project, Android Developer Studio (ADS for short) and thought I might post this topic.

What is ADS?

So, what is ADS, you ask? ADS is a full-screen development environment (FSDE) that allows android developers to create their own applications for Android devices and test them on the device that ADS runs on; alternatively, ADS can emulate the device, although this is not recommended due to memory concerns. Due to the Android API being written in Java, ADS only supports the Java programming language, although if GCC gets ported to Android, I hope to make it support other programming languages, like Ada, C, C++, Fortran, Objective-C, Objective-C++, and others. I also hope to make a Windows and Linux implementation (no Mac implementation because I will not learn Objective-C)! If you wish, I could go on a rant why I will not learn obj-c. I'll be quite reasonable, I assure you.
Off objective-C, the studio will have an easy-to-use UI that hides itself every 10 seconds when not interacted with, but immediately unhides itself upon touch interactivity. This is useful, say, if your coding an app that you don't want others to see at the moment. I hope to make this setting configurable in the future.

How does ADS work?

ADS will be installable in the Google Play Store application. I hope it is very accessible, and to make sure of this, I will be testing it on my android tablet when I get one. I will also make sure it is appealing visually to the sited, as I hope that the sited use this as well. Installed with it are some Java books and reference guides. These can be viewed in your android web browser, so you can learn Java if you don't know it already. The Windows and Linux versions will install them as well.
So, fire away with questions and features you want added! Don't completely burro me into the ground with too many of them. I'm still learning how the Android SDK works, so please keep that in mind.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-04-03 17:27:45 (edited by Ethin 2015-04-03 17:28:03)

Also, I am accepting developers who wish to help out with this project. If you want to join, send me a PM detailing what you want to do with the project and I will think about accepting you or not. For beta testers, the same applies to you.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-04-03 20:02:17

Awesome! I don't know java yet but hopefully I can learn it now because I love android! It really surprises me that android has so much capability and audiogame developers have barely tapped into what android can really do.
Ethin, when you get your tablet can you also have ADS support rfo basic? I use this sometimes although it's not as powerful as java as far as I can tell.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2015-04-03 23:47:14

Possibly. I'll implement Java support first.

My Github

2015-04-06 16:22:01

Is anyone curious in helping out with this project? I'm willing to let anyone help out. The only thing they need to know are the Java programming language and how to use the Android SDK.

My Github

2015-04-07 04:00:25

Hi Ethin.
I would love to help out although I don't know how to use java or android sdk lol. Anyway I've been looking at java and I hate it. It's full of so many parentheses, braces, brackets it's hard for me to tell where all the symbols end and the code begins rofl. But if I somehow manage to learn java I will let you know and luckily for me I have a tablet so I can test ads and apps. So I'll just have to let you know.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2015-04-07 08:40:27

Hi there,

It sounds just great. I haven't a modern Android device to test your project right now, but I'm interested, so I'm sending you a pm as soon as I have one... And I'd love to see this project runing on Windows or OSX if possible... smile

Good luck and keep us informed!

2015-04-07 20:02:58

Thank you, all of you! I appreciate the support.

My Github