2015-03-19 16:10:45

Hello all,
Does anyone have a download link to the toke library for Pure Basic? As you know, I'm developing a game, and I want it to work with people's screen readers rather than just windows built in tts.
Also, is there a guide or examples for it? I'd appreciate it if you could please put that in your post as well.

Thanks in advance,
steve.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-03-19 18:32:31

Hi Severestormsteve.
Well there is pureTTS but it only uses sapi. The only other one I know of is universal speech. I've heard it works with pb but don't know if it's true or not.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2015-03-19 19:03:26

Steve,

Have this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4j9wnt5ism57 … t.zip?dl=0

2015-03-19 22:02:15

@guitarman the toke library exists for pb, danny uses it for death match.
@mason thanks I appreciate that.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-03-19 23:46:35

Hi Severestormsteve.
I didn't know about this library. I know danny wrote a library for nvda for pb. I'm glad I found out about this I'll probably be using it someday.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2015-03-20 00:31:56 (edited by Ethin 2015-03-20 00:32:36)

A guide for using Tolk is as follows:

Using tolk in your PureBASIC projects
Using tolk in your PB projects

To use tolk in your PB projects, just use the following code:
XIncludeFile "tolk.pb"
Next, go to the initialization part of your project and enter the following at the bottom, top, or wherever you need it:
tolk::load()
This loads the tolk library. Next, wherever you need it, do:
tolk::output (string)
Alternatively, create a say() function like this:
Procedure say (text.s)
tolk::output (text)
EndProcedure
The following functions are in the tolk library. Note that tolk:: must be prepended to each function.

load()

Loads the tolk library into memory. Typically used at the top of your code, or wherever you initialize your application.

IsLoaded()

Specifies if the tolk library is loaded or not. Returns #True if tolk is loaded and #False otherwise.

unload()

Used to unload the tolk library. Generally used when the application exits.

TrySAPI(trySAPI.a)

Tests if SAPI is available. Requires an ASCII number (0-255) to test. Returns #True on success and #False otherwise.

PreferSAPI(preferSAPI.a)

Forces the tolk library to prefer SAPI output in tolk::output(). Requires a SAPI voice ID (0-255).

DetectScreenReader()

Causes tolk to run a check of all screen readers running on the system. Returns a string containing the screen readers name.

HasSpeech()

Detects if the screen reader supports speech output. Returns #True if the screen reader supports speech output, #False otherwise.

HasBraille()

Detects if the screen reader supports braille output. Returns #True on success, #False otherwise.

Output(str.s, interrupt.a = #False)

Forces the screen reader currently loaded to speak something.

• str.s: The string to speak.

• interrupt.a = #False: Will this speech interrupt all other speech?

Speak(str.s, interrupt.a = #False)

See Output() above.

Braille(str.s)

Causes the screen reader currently loaded to send data to the braille display's display. Requires text to send to the display. This can be included in your say() function.

IsSpeaking()

Requests tolk to check if the screen reader currently loaded is speaking. Returns #True if the screen reader currently loaded is speaking, #False otherwise.

Silence()

Forces the screen reader to stop speaking immediately. Return #True if the screen reader was silenced successfully and #False otherwise.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-08-01 13:14:00 (edited by Nuno 2018-08-01 13:14:30)

Sorry for refreshing the thread, but I do need a tolk wrapper for PB. Where can I get  it?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2018-08-01 16:16:41

Here is the official link to download the library. The package includes wrappers for many programming languages, including PureBasic:
https://ci.appveyor.com/api/projects/dk … nch=master
and here is the project's home page, where you can find the library's source code and more information about it:
https://davykager.com/projects/tolk/

2018-08-01 16:52:19

hello guys
from where i could learne PureBasic:, do you recommend me books, or their are tutorials for the blinds, and thanks

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2018-08-01 16:59:25

Just google "pure basic", you'll find manuals, references, and a beginner's guide, all in PDF format. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there isn't anything specifically for the visually impaired.

2018-08-01 17:05:57

Thank you!

2018-08-01 18:19:29

No, PureBASIC so far as my research has shown has not, shall we say, had its day in the limelight, despite the fact that it has so much functionality built-in. Other BASIC dialects like VB.NET have taken over.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-08-02 17:07:58

I don't want to spam the topic, but yeah. I do enjoy Pure Basic, really, I do enjoy it even more than HSP, because in HSP, functions, or in pure basic procedures, were very hard to handle. Here it is easy and convenient.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.

2018-08-02 18:05:35

@ethin

And what is your point? As far as I'm concerned I don't think it matters one little bit whether a language has taken over or not.

VB.NET is by a big multinational company with thousands of employees and billions of dollars to back it, where as Pure Basic is by a small company with only a handful of employees, if you can even call them that, it may be more accurate to say that they are just several friends working on the same product together. So it is any wonder that more people use VB.NET than Pure Basic?

Yet I believe that Pure Basic is the far superior product of the two. I know that I myself would never trade Pure Basic for VB.NET.

2018-08-02 20:29:18

When I try and include Tolk I get the following
POLINK: error: Unresolved external symbol 'Tolk_DetectScreenReader'.
POLINK: error: Unresolved external symbol 'Tolk_Load'.
POLINK: error: Unresolved external symbol 'Tolk_Unload'.
POLINK: error: Unresolved external symbol 'Tolk_Output'.
POLINK: error: Unresolved external symbol 'Tolk_HasBraille'.
POLINK: error: Unresolved external symbol 'Tolk_HasSpeech'.
POLINK: error: Unresolved external symbol 'Tolk_Braille'.
POLINK: fatal error: 13 unresolved external(s).

2018-08-02 23:13:18

@Orko, would you mind stop being so condescending? I know this. I'm not an idiot. I was answering your post in post 11. I don't exactly know much about the company that works on PureBASIC. I wonder how you do?

My Github

2018-08-02 23:58:41

@ethin This info is easily findable, they have everything on their website.