2015-01-31 01:49:34

Hi,
I'm having serious issues with regular expressions with NVDA. I've searched all around the internet but nothing that the people have said has worked. I've tried everything I possibly can and still nothing. Can someone please give me an example of regular expressions with NVDA, both in the pattern and replacement edit boxes for the NVDA speech dictionaries?

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-01-31 02:44:41

What replacement are you trying to perform?  I'm sure we can come up with examples, but it's probably easiest just to tell you how yours works.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2015-01-31 03:33:45

A number replacement. Actually, think you could provide me with all forms of replacements?

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-01-31 03:41:26

Uh. What?  I'm asking what you're trying to replace in the dictionary.  Regular expressions themselves don't have such a concept-any replacement functionality comes from the app.  You can match a digit with \d, but anything that you do with that almost certainly needs a lot more.
If you haven't done it yet, you might read a regular expression tutorial.  This one seems pretty decent, and I know that most of the author's other stuff is very good.  Or you could tell us what specifically you need and one of us can probably give it to you.

My Blog

2015-01-31 05:52:59

Regular expressions do not provide replacement functionality. It is just a really powerful way to find specific strings.

2015-01-31 20:30:14

@Camlorn:
Do you have a skype name? I feel that we could figure out this much easier if we were talking about this on skype.

My Github

2015-01-31 21:24:07

I do. I do not use Skype for text chat and therefore doubt it would be helpful; I'm on an outdated branch of NVDA for a variety of reasons and therefore it doesn't quite work right given the latest Skype updates.  I also do not give it out publicly unless I have good reason.
But seriously, either read a tutorial and figure it out or just say "I want to make a dictionary entry that replaces x with y."  There isn't anything which may be said on this topic generally that is not said on a billion internet pages, and regexp isn't the kind of thing that can be explained simply.
To answer the original question, the following should replace all sequences of digits with themselves.  But the real complexity in this is writing a regexp in the first place, though this one is about as simple as they get.  Maybe this tells you what you want to know, but I doubt it.
Pattern: (\d+)
Replacement: \1
Check regexp.

My Blog