2014-06-24 20:13:47

Hi, I am learning to program in java in prep for my AP computer science class. I went through the java programming tutorials on oracle's web site and they mention getting the Java SDK with netBeans IDE. I don't quite remember why I couldn't get it to work, I think it was because I couldn't read the installer with NVDA, none of the controls were labeled. I am thinking it probably has to do with the fact that in order for a screen reader to read the controls it needs the java access bridge. I have that installed, as I have successfully seen the java access bridge in action with openOffice, but there doesn't seem to be a way to enable java access bridge for the installer. My question is, are there accessible versions of the java sdk and an accessible IDE, because netBeans doesn't seem to be right for me as I can't get it installed.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2014-06-24 20:47:00

Hello,
Eclipse
is supposed to be the best ide for Java development. I've fiddled with it, but only to the point of reading the output window and text files.
google
using eclipse with a screen reader
and you should find more info on it.

2014-06-24 21:16:07

I clicked the link you gave e for eclipse, chose IDE, and then chose eclipse IDE for java. It gave me an access forbidden message. THe other 2 IDE links there, for Java EEE and c++, said the same thing. Does it give the eame message for you frastlin?

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2014-06-24 21:41:02

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packag … /keplersr2

2014-06-25 02:57:58

KeyIsFull, I definitely agree with frastlin. The Eclipse IDE is the best IDE for Java development bar none for any platform. Although, I mostly use it on Linux I have used the Windows version as well with success with NVDA so I wouldn't even give NetBeans a second look.

Also I might point out that the JDK is fully accessible without an IDE if you don't mind using command-line tools. I often times just compile using javac and bundle them using jar from the command-line without Eclipse just because I am use to creating my own build scripts and enjoy using the CLI.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-08-06 07:22:23

@keyIsFull, I must warn you: Do not try making graphical user interface (GUI)apps in java. The default toolkit, swing, does not work at all with NVDA, and the times I've gotten it to work are only dumb luck. For java books, try Learning Java. You can find it on bookshare. I forgot the ISBN, so, yeah.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2014-08-06 10:39:09

I missed this somehow, but, yeah, Tward has it right. If you need an IDE, go for Eclipse, but you can do without if you use the command line.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2014-08-06 17:46:08

not sure if this was already said, but the options I'd use are sodbeans and eclipse. the ladder was extensively tested by freedomscientific, so should work well with JAWS (at least). sodbeans, on the other hand, is actually a multi-language (as in programming) IDE, initially for quarum (which I have basic knowledge of) but also supports c++ (which bgt is based off of) and java.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2014-08-13 16:58:23 (edited by Manu 2014-08-13 17:01:49)

Eclipse is the most accessible IDE for Java language.
You can use it also for Android, there is Eclipse with ADT plugin. (ADT means Android Development Tools).
If you want to use Swing for a PC GUI, blind users should turn on Java Access Bridge on Windows.

Eclipse is programmed in Java, but they use SWT to create its interface. SWT is a library which calls OS native GUI controls, this way everything is accessible on all 3 major operating systems for desktop computers.

Emanuel Boboiu
Errare humanum est, sed perseverare... diabolicum.
For other Audio Games and programs, visit www.scripts.pontes.ro!

2014-08-13 19:16:23

You can also use Swt in your own projects.
And also, I've seen swing apps that work fine.  You have to check a box, however.  It's no longer "install the access bridge".  Instead, you're now supposed to check a box in control panel.  Unfortunately, there's no way to turn this off and it's been almost a year since I last did it.  I'm not saying that swing accessibility is fantastic, but it does work at least some.
The latest versions of eclipse crash NVDA on next.  There is an open ticket for it and I got volunteered to patch (lack of interest from anyone else, etc), but this requires understanding a Python metaclass at the core of NVDA, so I haven't actually done it.  See ticket #3872.  Patching NVDA for Eclipse support is low on my priority list, however.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2015-01-19 07:02:23

Hey, I just started learning java. I took your advice and downloaded eclipse, but now I need a bit of help.

I have a Hello World program, but as soon as I tried to write something slightly more complex, I had a compiler error. This shouldn't be a big deal as it's probably a simple mistake, but I can't find any error output telling me where I went wrong.

How on earth do I find the compile error output?

2015-01-19 07:31:27

There's like 5 ways, but if I recall correctly the fastest is alt+shift+q, x.  Alt+shift+q brings up a handy list of stuff and the second key quickly selects one.  If I'm wrong about the keystroke and you can't find it in that list, it's probably in view.

My Blog

2015-01-19 09:54:58

thanks. This seems to work.

Is there some resource for using eclipse with a screenreader? The orical website is a little skinny in this respect.

I'm still looking for hotkey to move focus to the output window, and how to move focus back to source file without hitting ctrl+f6 twice.

2015-01-19 18:21:30

You need to look around in the menus and in the list that pressing alt+shift+q brings up.  NVDA at least announces all the keystrokes.  I think source window is f11 or f12, but it's been forever.
Eclipse is not that complicated, you just need to explore it and look for info aimed at the sighted instead of at blind people.  I am 99% sure you can find a keystroke list if you look for one.

My Blog

2015-01-20 00:30:51

Well if you say a keystroke list is out there, then I'll take your word for it. Thanks for the help.

2018-05-27 13:21:24

Now, in 2018 all three ide - Intellij IDEA, Eclipse and NetBeans are accessible. But really only Eclipse is accessible on more than 99%.  IDEA works with screenreader beginning from 2017 year, Netbeans has some problems with focus jumping in NVDA. Soon I write some articles about developing accessible user interface on java using different technologies with examples.

Teachers only point the way.
You must go through it yourself.

2018-05-28 03:08:46

I know that Eclipse is accessible out of the box... are net beans and IntelliJ now too? I'd b amazed if they were, because that would be fantastic.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-05-28 09:38:15

To obtain accessible IDEA and NetBeans from the box we must do something before installing their.
First we must install jdk version 8 update 152 or newer in x86 (i586) edition on windows.  Then after installation jdk go to windows control panel, then accessibility  options, then using computer without display. There set checkbox "Java access bridge" and press ok. Restart your scrrenreader. Go to control panel and run java32 control panel. If it is accessible then it's ok.
Then we can install IDEA. During installation in shortcuts dialog set checkbox x86 launcher. Other checkboxes are not necessary. Next launch IDEA by clicking on icon on desktop. To accept license you may have a help of other people because this window is not very good speakable.  After running ide press button Config, then in popup menu choose Settings. In new window by arrows down go to system. On this tab set checkbox Screenreader support and press ok button. After restart IDEA it will be nearly full accessible.

P.S. sorry for my english, I am only now have a practice.

Teachers only point the way.
You must go through it yourself.