2007-11-08 11:53:04

Well, I've finally! disposed of the outdated version of Mcaffi the university saddled me with, and (under the advice of Dolphin, have got Avg (which is also very hal friendly).

all in all I'm impressed, particularly with the way it can scan my pc, and! update itself without totally locking everything up for hours on end the way mcaffi used to. I'm so impressed, I'm vaguely considdering buying the full version, to get the anti-spyware bits, sinse it'd save me all the trouble of having to remember to update and use spybot search&destroy.

I also like the fact that with Avg, unlike Norton or Mcaffi, you just have to one time buy the software and you get protection and updates, theres none of those subscription shinanigans.

so Avg are not running a protection rackit, ---- ;D.

so what do people think?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-11-08 13:31:15

I've been recently using NOD32 which was quite good, though they just brought out version 3 within a month or two of my switching... and it is as inaccessible a program as I've ever seen. Completely the reverse of how it was. It has been fast and effective, but I'm not happy about this turn of events naturally.

If AVG is highly accessible I might be tempted, though I've got 2 years of updates on Nod32 and am currently reduced to using the command line interface it offers.

Oh, and the protection racket reference has not gone unnoticed smile

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-11-08 15:36:30

apparently, it's now at the stage where Dolphin are providing Avg with any computers they themselves sell, because it is so accessible, so I think if Grisoft did decide to make a new inaccessible version, things would be said.

If you've found Nod32 so highly workable in the past though Cx2, perhaps you could tactfully contact the company involved, especially if you've been such a long time user, before uninstalling and other mucking about.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-11-08 16:19:23

I plan to, though I'm not a long time user. I only just made the switch, and planned to keep using it for some time. I bought a 2 year subscription from about a month or two ago.

If that doesn't work out though I plan to switch again. I had planned to move other computers in the house to Nod once the Norton subscription ran out, but I'll just have to see how it goes.

Thanks for that info Dark.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-11-08 17:10:06

Hi,
AVG is a great antivirus, especially the pro edition, but the free is also good. Nod32 is amazing, probably the best, but AVG is really only been successful at there anti-virus, there anti-spyware and anti-rootkit failing many tests between security reviewers. I know Spybot is annoying, I might make a simple autoit script that can boot up and automatically updates. Avast, boots up and automatically updates. While I am against Norton, and don't really like Mcafee as my anti-virus, I find Avast, AVG and Nod32 the best choices for antivirus. I also find Sygate firewall pretty accessible. AVG's Anti- Spyware is not even on most top 10 lists. And, a good anti-rootkit is RootKit Revealer, from I forget who made it, but Microsoft bought it and made no changes (Thank God!) AVG's Firewall also is not that good, if you are going to purchase an AVG product, I recommend just the anti-virus.

From,
Ryan Smith
Head of RS Games
RS Games Website

2007-11-08 19:41:05

well fair enough. spybot does annoy me, inse it takes a litle wangling with Hal to get the update property sheet to cooperate. I'm probably slightly jaded on the hole Mcaffi issue, sinse the university decided to ram it down our throats. I'll considder getting the full antivirus though if it's worthwhile.

what the heck is an anti rootkit?in fact, what the heck is a rootkit?

In using Pc's on the net for close to 8 years now, and knowing people who did so for a long time before that, ive never come across this thing at all.