2014-01-30 17:09:13

I don't care, I am customers and steam can refunds in some situations so this will be not  changed anyway. These options accessible for us are in the steam from the beginning so from many years. 14 dollars isn't high price and Instead of finding negatives, i'll be happy from the positives. smile

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2014-01-30 17:19:45

Hey everyone! just wanted to come here and say that I bought skullgirls as well, the game is really fantastic, it has only 10 characters so far but
more are coming, the combo system allows for endless possibilities, there's even a tag team option to battle 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3 as well.
Seal,  Robjoy and the developer are still working to add more accessibility as you can see with the update. If you like fighting games don't think
twice, go grab it now! I installed steam just for this game at first but now I've already got 3 more! aahah.
@fastfinge I respect your decision but I don't think this will ever change, why they would remove this option from the client? It's already working
for some time now.. Besides, It's the same with other products, let's go as far as mentioning an android device, windows, ios, pretty much
anything that wasn't specificaly developed with the blind in mind. What guarantees do you have that for example windows 9 will work well with screen
readers? Or that ios 7.1 will work with your favorite apps? I know that there's already accessibility built into it, but it's not 100% guaranteed to
work with everything.

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2014-01-30 18:39:16

What is the link to your updated steam guide?  Also, must you disable your screen reader such as jaws for SAPI to read the game?  I primarily use jaws but will consider installing NVDA to try this game.
@fastfinge Speaking of that, it's just great that I have to try using a screen reader that I've never used before with an error prone OCR plugg in.  Although maybe, just maybe jaws will do a decent job.
About system requirements, I have an older laptop dual core 2.5 ghz, 3gb ram, with intel 4 series express chipset so perhaps this game will run slowly.  I will soon be installing windows 7 on a quad core macbook pro whenever I can get sighted assistance.

2014-01-30 19:33:10

No, this game should works fine, this has really low requirements.

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2014-01-30 19:39:22

Hi,
Don't disable your screen reader. Insatll SayTools and then grab the clip reader from the first post on this topic, bcause that outputs to jaws, NVDA, and I believe window eyes.
@fastfinge: I honestly don't know how we're going to be able to fix steam. The no-dwrite command is OK for now but I certainly agree, if they did a lighter version that just used good ol dialog boxes and such, it'd be so, so much easier. But steam is really quite terrible, they don't even offer audio captchas, and webvisum is useless. I don't even know if they care about us.

2014-01-30 19:53:00

Please excuse my sarcasm but awesome! @aaron I can't even get an account with out sighted assistance?  I also have web vism installed.  I would rather download this game through, lets just say other means even with out recent updates, at least then I'd be able to maybe play a little of it!

2014-01-30 20:03:09 (edited by cj89 2014-01-30 20:04:46)

Hi there. I literally got this working a few minutes ago, and fair to say I'm loving it. My only question is, how does updating work. Do they just get pushed and installed from steam? And that's cool that there's more DLC to come. I can't tell you how greatful I am for randomly buying a controler a couple years back. tongue

2014-01-30 20:31:24

One tip is that it is now possible to install the game directly from the Steam site. If you go to the community section, then to the list of games that you own, you can install the game from there as long as Steam is running and you're logged in.

2014-01-30 20:41:26

Hi all,
Here's a treat for you! Me and Seal/Lirin recorded a demo video about how the blind can play mainstream fighting games, focussing on Skullgirls. A bit of explanation, online play, and some serious combos are waiting for you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md3x1--gzK0
Regarding Steam accessibility, there is this saying that goes: The only thing that you can be sure about is death.
True, we do not know if Steam will become less accessible, but that does not mean that we should not use it until we can. I myself would lose around 20 games or so, if it happens, but they rarely update their UI, so this is very unlikely. True, it is not the most accessible piece of software in the world, but it is mostly usable and I think the value you get out of the games is well worth the time you spend initially to set it up.
Steam's DRM is quite fair, and I would certainly choose it over any hardware- or internet-based approach. Let's be optimistic! smile

Cheers,
Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2014-01-30 20:43:05

@James: Yes, updates get pushed to your client automagically. Sometimes this fails to work, but a Steam restart fixes it.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2014-01-30 23:30:05

Just a thought, is there a mobile site or IOS app that might make getting a steam account more accessible?  I would assume not.

2014-01-30 23:32:06

Going to try this again and see if I can get anywhere. That was a great video! I don't like games with combos that are way too long but this is one I might make an exception to! But I have a quuestion. To set up automatic log in, which edit field in the properties am I supposed to type the stuff into?

Discord: clemchowder633

2014-01-31 00:31:35

Hi,
You set it up in the target field, after the quoted exe file. Go past the quotes, put a space, then do:
-login username password -no-dwrite

2014-01-31 00:45:30

Ok, I'm sorry, but stating that you're not going to purchase a developer's project just because they chose to put it on a service that's cheap and easy, for them to use, is about the most rediculous thing I've ever heard. About a year and a half ago I started playing swamp, I didn't know anything about how to set up commandlines or do any of the registration, and the .bats that were included did not work. It took me about an hour and a half to figure everything out. It was worth it. The fact that this developer has done so much to make this game as accessible as it is, and is continueing to put out updates that maintain it's accessibility and truely improve upon that accessibility is incredible. I can understand that maybe playing fighting games isn't everybody's interest, and maybe you just don't like it. However, saying that the work and effort that was put into this game is not worth the time and effort to set up the programs is just plain rediculous. It's only 14 dollars, that's cheaper than taking a date out to freaking burger king. (I'm not saying for you to take your dates out to burger king, it will end badly, just in case someone tries that move.)

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2014-01-31 01:28:05

Okay, I did everything in the guide regarding steam. It's still not showing up in its own window and I cannot find it anywhere else either! Is there anyway someone could help with this? Thank you very much in advance.

2014-01-31 02:25:13

Steam is not accessible at all

and at the first post, I don't see any guides in regards to steam accessibility.

jaws and NVDA just lock up when focused on steam UI.

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2014-01-31 03:13:15

Hi Adi, If you read the topic you will see that @assault_freak gave the link to the steam guide in post 3, it's also available in the mainstream topic
but steam is usable with screen readers if you follow the guide, lots of blind players are downloading it just to try the game, it's worth all the
effort. try it

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2014-01-31 04:10:37

Hi, I can't find the steam window to focus on it. It isn't in my system tray or anything, but, I know it's running.

2014-01-31 10:07:53

fastfinge wrote:

@BlindJay: Ditto. Steam is not at all accessible.  Steam could make an update at any second that will stop the steps in the steam guide from working, and then all of you will completely lose access to your purchased games.  Until this is fixed, I refuse to give any company willing to do business with steam any of my hard earned dollars.

well, typical blindy comment! Just don't use it because it's not accessible and because it's not made with the blind in mind. It's not your blindness which gives you limits but the way you're looking at things! Have you ever thought about how much people have worked on figureing out how to use Steam because it's not accessible? Do you know why people have made a guide to tell us how they use Steam? that's because they don't see the limits of being blind but the possibilities and workarounds to do what they really wanna do.
I totally respect the company to be willing to make the game fully accessible to us, and I totally respect Seal and Robjoy for working so hard and fight for the accessibility. Sorry to say, but this is the reason for those blindy comments makes me so pissed. I do play mainstream games because they are playable for me, and I see the possibilities instead the limits. I'm not trying to tell people to buy the game just because the company have made it accessible to us. I'm just saying we now have the choice, and thanks to the guide, we now have the choice of using Steam if we wants to. If we don't wanna use steam, it's our choice, but then we can't get the accessible version of Skullgirls!

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-01-31 10:08:57

Robjoy and Seal: I look very much forward to listen to your recording later today. I nearly can't wait to this day at my job is over! big_smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-01-31 10:20:31

SLJ,  thanks for the positives, this is always good to know we are doing something what is worth doing for You all. Thumbs Up!

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2014-01-31 11:55:07

Hi, okay. I bought the game. I still am unable to see steam and it's windows. I also downloaded the OCR at on four NVDA. But when I press insert plus R, it says recognizer not found. I really don't know what to do. I want to play the game so bad!

2014-01-31 12:54:23

Sorry for the double post, I have another problem. I'm trying to sign into steam on Windows using the method discussed in the guide. I have the apostrophes around both the username and password in the target edit field under steams desktop properties I get back a steam login error saying that  The account is not created or the username or password is wrong. I have double and triple check this with the steam app on my phone and what I have there is perfectly fine. I'm not exactly sure what is going on. If anyone could help with this, I would be really appreciative! Thank you very much in advance.

2014-01-31 14:08:05

This is because you are not writng your real username and password there, Apostrophes are indicating this is only a place for YOUR real username and password to type there without these apostrophes. It's a example there. I thought it's selfexplanatory...

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2014-01-31 14:10:56

@Sean_Terry01:
You don't put the apostrophe's around the username and password. It should look like this:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -login username password -no-drwrite
hth