2014-01-28 20:43:58 (edited by Lirin 2016-04-13 10:39:48)

Hello  all.

I am teasing you from few days about skullgirls, a fighting game developed by Lab Zero Games This is a 2d fighting game which gots full accessibility updates.

When i'll start dropping links, few words:

It's so great people wants to do such a nice things like that. Mike Z Zaimont Main developer of the game put his time to get the game fully accessible for us, blind players. As we didn't found easiest way to access the full game, we did it in another way which, well, I hope so will be enjoyable for everyone.

Game can't be self-voiced due to the cash what we can understand. Their are doing it for free for us and this is really what we should be thankfull for.

Testers are me mainly and Robjoy AKA Erion from two days. As i am in contact with Mike, I am reporting / suggesting and talking about the whole proces and updates.

Now, let's jump to the section, How it works.

First, You'll need steam client and steam account. You can check the Steam Guide created by me there:

http://forum.audiogames.net/viewforum.php?id=6#brd-main

When you'll get steam and  make account, time to get the game.
Game is 13.99$ with Additionally 4.99$ for the Squigly DLC character which was free for few months.

You can get the game here:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/245170

After installing, configuring steam, and buying the game, You need to go to the Library and from there, install Skullgirls. [You can  check the downloading process in the system tray]
After downloading, click on the skullgirls in your library [right mouse button, choose properties and click on set launcher properties]
After that, Type these parameters there:

-nomenuwrap -useclipboard OR -useclipboardsound [If you want to have sounds when text is copied to the clipboard]

-nomenuwrap is if you want to have menus not wrapping.

Next, you'll need saysetup and you can Download it here.
http://www.empowermentzone.com/saysetup.exe

Last thing to read your clipboard automatically is clipreader which you can get here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/287 … r.exe?dl=1

When you install saysetup and launch clipreader Launch the game. After that You should notice the game is reading everything for you. Menus, settings, story mode, tutorials, Keyconfig, online etc.

Mike is hardly trying to get online inviting easier but for now it's so tricky. We'll see what happens with that and i'll put updates on this thread for sure.

Every question i'll try to answer to, but Try doing something firstly before asking and asking. I'm here to help you and give you something fresh what you'll like hope so. This is revolutionary this happened, but yeah, it did so... I hope EVERYONE WILL BE HAPPY LIKE ME!

PS. Try to typing "gottatypefast!" including exclamation mark when the game logos are playing. You'll switch on the typing of the skullgirls mode!

Have fun!

Hope to see you online soon!

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2014-01-28 21:05:36

Don't have enough money at the moment, but once I do... I will be all over this!

Discord: clemchowder633

2014-01-28 21:14:08

As an additional post... the direct link to the steam guide.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/566 … mguide.txt

Discord: clemchowder633

2014-01-28 21:34:20

Thanks for relinking the guide directly here. My sillness haha

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2014-01-29 06:21:56

Hi.
I've been asking around but can't find how to do this with steam.

How do I get my password back
I've forgotten it and don't no how to log in now.
I made an account ages ago and would like to try this out

Thanks,
Brad.

I'm gone for real :)

2014-01-29 09:07:57

Run the client, log out and when login screen pops up clck on retrieve password.

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2014-01-29 09:50:07

Hi.
This is totally awesome. I look so much forward to check this out. This is the reason to get Steam. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-01-29 13:00:12 (edited by Lirin 2014-01-29 13:10:06)

Today update is coming with totally accessible version we hope so.

I'll give a shot on my twitter when the up will be live so remember restart steam to get it updated automatically.

Features:

-Accessing all menus, and options / settings
-Accessing story mode, tutorials
-Fully accessible character / assist / stage selection screens
-Accessible command list for everycharacter [movelist]
-Fully working invitation system for the friends  through steam client [After making a lobby, right click on your steam friend, click send invitation, When friend will click on "CLICK HERE TO ACCEPT" in the chat window he'll be in the lobby room]
-Full online support it means: Every online mode will be readable, lobby rooms when you'll be searching for those, how many people are in the rooms, Inside the lobby you can see people, their number of fights / wins, their pink.
-You can kick users from your own lobbies.
-Setting up and creating lobby.
-Playing in all online modes like, all play, training online, queen of the hill.
-Full training settings will be accessible like: setting the level of the AI or it should be OFF, setting special bars to be infinite etc, and many more options in the training room
Options screen is fully accessible for the blind it's like: Full controller / keyboard setup - Action [GAMEPAD KEY / KEYBOARD KEY]
You can configure all keys at once like: [Press the key for up, now for down, left...] And so on or change these manually.

SO, wait for the new update today.

You can find more on my twitter:
lirin111

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2014-01-29 14:14:10

wow man. This is really, really awesome! I should try to hook up my ps3 controler to my computer.
Can people who are using steam play against people who are playing the game on a ps3? Or is that two different networks? Maybe the company have set it up so all people connects to the same server no matter what console they are playing on.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2014-01-29 14:30:04

Hi,
Steam users can't play against psn users. Also, the game has x input support, so modern logitech pads and such will work.

2014-01-29 14:52:33

Hi!
Awesome! AWESOME! I really don't know that to say, I never thought it were possible to play a fully accessible game for sighted. Yesterday I was sitting there with open mouth because it's fantastic! It really should be made with many many more such games that they are accessible.

Greetings,
Janagirl!

2014-01-30 00:49:04

Hi, I signed up with Steam and got the windows version and now when I try to to find it and go to it's window, It isn't in my system tray or anything, but, it is running, cause when I try to run it again, it starts another process of it, but shuts it down cause an instance of it is already running. If anyone could please help with this, I would be very appreciative. I'm gonna get the game in a couple days when I have the money.

2014-01-30 03:20:56

Tried typing of the skullgirls, but it doesn't seem to read things sadly. Love that this works! But oh boy what a pain steam was to set up!

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2014-01-30 03:40:11

god, I can't wait untill friday, this is totally number 1 on my list. I can't wait to kick some of your asses online lol! I heard liam's play of it earlier, and I was very impressed! I thought it was going to be some clunky recreation of a play station 1 game, but I'm very happy with the sound quality and smoothness at which the game performed with screen readers.

I'm even thinking of donating more than the initial 14 dollars if I can ever find their homepage or something lol!

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2014-01-30 03:51:02

Wow, this sounds spectacular.  For those who have tried the accessibility features, I would assume you would disable your screen reader and SAPI reads the text?  I saw that say tools has support for jaws/nvda etc.  I have a huge issue with steam however.  I would gladly pay for this game accessible or not since system requirements seem pretty low and I always love a good 2d fighter.  However I am a little old fashioned in that I don't want to be tied down to a half accessible client in order to even obtain the game in the first place.  I would rather just have the game on a disk or as a download and just use a registration code.  Security isn't an issue since back in the day GMA tank commander used your hardware ID as a piracy blocker.  If an older audio game for the blind could do something like that, surely an indy developer could as well.  I just wanna connect my controller, sleep/disable screen reader, hit enter on the game.exe file and have fun.  I use to do that with mortal kombat 4, street fighter alpha etc through menu memorization.  If someone can, please let the developer know that steam distribution is far from ideal for a blind player and if they are putting work in to accessibility and expect the blind to purchase and advertise that fact, they should consider an accessible distribution method as well as having an accessibility mode start menu/desktop shortcut.  This could be such a huge step forward for mainstream game accessibility, demonstrated at game developers conferences, blindness conventions in the united states, written about on various blindness blogs/podcasts/magazines, who knows.  But with out an accessibility framework from the ground up, this may perhaps go nowhere.
Ok, rant on steam and other things is over.

2014-01-30 07:27:45

This is on steam and will be  ONLY for steam. That is something their will not change etc.
Steam is ideal platform for most gamer novadays and their didn't make a game for the blind. Their did good job adding these things and their  goal is to not making something typically for the blind but if their can help us playing the game fully why not.

This is what mike said to me. I know the steam client isn't perfect for us but This game use steam for everything like achievements and most importantly, for online play. If you will understand how steam is working you'll be fine with that after a wchile. Me and other blind people from my steam friendlist are using it so fine and it's doable. What you can't do from the steam client you can always do from steam website for everything is accessible.

Sorry for the difficulties but this is only one way to play the game and I can tell it's doable fully.

Maybe we can do something more writing to the walve about steam accessibility or lighter version of their steam client. Who knows, maybe their can do something about that.

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2014-01-30 08:03:06

Could someone please look at my previous post and help me with this? I would really love to get everything set up so that all I have to do is purchase the game on Friday and play! Thanks a lot in advance!

2014-01-30 10:14:24

Sean: Really not sure about the solution. If you set up an account and installed steam It should run. Add the parameters to the steam icon on the desktop which you can find in my guide mentioned in this topic.
Steam should update itself and log in you automatically so you will be able to move using NVDA mouse cursor.

I can't do anything more for now, sorry. If there will be any news regarding that problem come on here and we'll try to clear things out. :-)

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2014-01-30 10:20:31

Hi.
Are the games running in Steam, or is Steam just the system which is used to purchase the games? I mean, can I buy games from Steam and play them on my Mac because they are bought from Steam, or do I need to play the games in Windows if they are only made for Windows?

Best regards SLJ.

2014-01-30 10:45:52

SLJ: wel... i am not mac user, Peter mach run the steam on his mac as far as i knows virtualising / running windows there so it's possible. He played Injustice on steam so I believe answer is, You can.

Steam is a platform where more and more developers are putting their games. It's like XBLA or PSN and it's the biggest platform for the PC / MAC  [Linux] users probably.

You have your games library there so, it's really big platform.

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2014-01-30 11:02:51

I updated the steam guide so it should be more friendly now.

Let me know if you'll have problems still.

Also, Update is coming for the skullgirls.

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2014-01-30 14:29:23

Steam will run on, and you can view your library of games on, Windows Mac and Linux, but the game will only run on whichever platform(s) it was developed for. SkullGirls was only developed for Windows, so that is what it will run on.

2014-01-30 15:48:48

Thanks guys for your answers.

Best regards SLJ.

2014-01-30 16:03:40

Next update is live.

It fixes problems with tutorials and add online features who is fighting with who and prompt about you'll be spectating when not fighting.

Next update should add sound to let everyone his / her combo meter is reset to 0. This is helpfull if you want to know when your attacks stopped building  one long chain.

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2014-01-30 16:27:32

@BlindJay: Ditto. Steam is not at all accessible.  Steam could make an update at any second that will stop the steps in the steam guide from working, and then all of you will completely lose access to your purchased games.  Until this is fixed, I refuse to give any company willing to do business with steam any of my hard earned dollars.