2013-12-21 15:11:42

Hi all,
While this mod isn't Christmasy, it's certainly been a fun one to make.
Before we get started though, a little bit of information so you guys can get some of the jokes I'm about to throw at you.
Whenever Capcom releases new games they seem to update their titles with Ultimate, or Super, or something. Well their latest title is Ultra Street Fighter iv. Of course, they are well known for doing stuff like this, and I thought it's high time for a parody!
I present to you...
Mini March Massacre Minus!
In partnership with DragonApps, we are bringing a downgrade to March Massacre full of nostalgia, the best devolution of an audiogame in existance!
Features:
All new sounds, including logos. Do not skip anything, nothing is what it seems.
New speaker test.
New music.
The possibility for downloadable content... all for $0! In fat, we've included some dlc for you in the sounds directory, as a sort of behind the scenes, thank you for downloading kind of thing. More info on that to come though, unless someone beats me to it!
The menu options are as follows:
start game, speaker test, dlc, information, and exit. However, all is definitely not what it seems, don't go straight in, listen for detail, check out the speaker test and logos, and of course, the menus.
Game uses Sapi 5 like the original, with tiny source code modifications to allow sounds to play correctly. The rest was all done by me, the menu wasn't part of the source code. In fact, the menu thing was an accident, a very funny one! I didn't think it'd work, launched the game and my options were there, laughed my head off.
You'll need a program that supports 7z files, as otherwise the mod would be too large for what it is. It extracts to over 100 mb thanks to sounds being in wav format.
I may add a little more to this in the future, like more music, but for now, enjoy it for what it is. I didn't update the menu title to mini march massacre minus yet, but the rest is certainly in tact.
file name: mm_mod.7z
link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1777870/mm_mod.7z

2013-12-21 15:36:22

Atleast something is going on for this holidays. That is great to hear and nice take. Hope to see more releases, maybe christmas time will motivate someone to do suc a nice thing,

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2013-12-21 19:01:42 (edited by brad 2013-12-21 19:05:37)

Hi.
Right, either I've got a virus, or someone thinks that this is actually funny?

let me explain: I click on the exe file. it runs plays the logo, and.. restarts?

and it turns out to be my windows updater. So I run it again and it restarts again, getting pissed off now, I try it for the last time, and it restarts again.
Can who made this tell me if this is the purpose of the mod? and if so, it's not funny.

Sorry for ranting, and if this isn't the case then I'm sorry for having a go at the developer but it's annoying, you know?

I'm gone for real :)

2013-12-21 19:51:09

Having played the mod, I can tell you that this is definitely not its purpose.  I may not be the creater of this mod, but it seems very strange that it decides to restart... what OS are you using?  I've run it under windows 8 and it works fine...

The Doctor.

My TARDIS: time and relative dimension in space machine.  its bigger. on the inside.  infinitely bigger on the inside.

2013-12-21 19:55:14

Hi.
Ahh must be that I've got an odd virus then.
I'm scanning my system now, and i'm using windows eight.

2013-12-21 20:20:24

Hi,
I can definitely say that this file does not have a virus, as I scanned it before uploading. I do not want to harm anyone. It should play logo1.wav followed by logo2.wav followed by the main menu.

2013-12-22 01:27:09

Hi.

Why doesn't this game have a window to interact with?
When I press enter on the exe file it starts playing sounds and sapi speaks but there is no window for the game so I cannot use it at all.
I know the program is running because I get the music and it appears as a running process in Windows Task manager.
What's going on?
I'm using Windows XP in a virtual machine on my mac.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2013-12-22 04:54:40

Hi, the game does have a window. I think your problem is the screen resolution its opening at, which most likely means your monitor or laptop screen can't go to the resolution the game want's.

Check out the new reality software site. http://realitysoftware.noip.us

2013-12-22 05:00:42

Hi.

Hmm, it's a windows XP vm running on a mac mini with a 22 inch screen connected.
I think it's 22 iches.
Do I have to change my resolution settings in Windows or in Mac OS X?
This may not be a problem as I'm going to get a macbook air in a few days.

2013-12-22 06:17:42

That's your problem. Since the games screen resolution is 640 x 480, vm's can't go to that screen resolution unless you get it to full screen.

Check out the new reality software site. http://realitysoftware.noip.us

2013-12-22 07:47:22

Hi.

Hmm, I do run my VM in full screen mode in Vmware Fusion.

2013-12-22 12:00:35

Hi.
It stil restarts when i play it, I even downloaded a new version of the installer.
Oh well.
I'm sure it's a fun game.

2013-12-22 12:23:27

To brad, chris, and everyone for who the game's not running, please try getting the regular march massacre and see if that runs. If it doesn't, try the "windowed mode" patch and write here if that worked.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2013-12-22 13:41:39

Hi.
The origonal works fine for me.

2014-01-01 06:32:50

this is just what mm would sound like, had it been released to the arcades back in 1986! thank you!
I noticed st-speech was used for the dragon apps logo and the survice mode.
what did the music come from? I know the story music came from the us version of castlevania 3, and the unused game music came from bomberman, but don't recognise the intro, main menu or in-game music other than being from a game boy game.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2014-01-01 22:35:57 (edited by aaron 2014-01-01 22:36:54)

Hi,
Actually, the unused game music you speak of, does get used at some point. This isn't a new thing thogh, this was also in the original.
In fact, this thing is basically a sound mod with a few code tweeks to make sure it works properly.
I'm glad you liked it.
@brad and anyone else: Did you manage to get it to work in the end?

2014-01-02 05:02:21

I didn't see any dlc in the sounds folder, afterall.
about the sound effects, all of them come from various sound libraries, except the radar on/off (from mame samples) and a couple of sounds used in the dragon apps logo (taken from pac-man;the dot eating and "you're dead" sounds). the next page sound appears to be from the original legend of Zelda for the nes.

-id software, 1995

2014-01-03 15:15:30

Hi,
Actually, believe it or not, the sounds, accept the pac-man sounds from the logo, and the music (more on that below) are all created from scratch using the dragonflame rfx generator. This is the dlc I was speaking about. If you lookin the sounds folder, especially in the ships folder, you should find some landing files and things that are not wavs. These can be opened in the generator.
The music is from:
main menu: bomberman heroes (gb)
in-game: pokemon pinball (don't quite remember where abouts, I just used sound test)
game over/stats: castlevania 3 klango theme by themusicman
endgame if you can get that far: bomberman

2014-01-03 21:38:54

thanks.

-id software, 1995

2014-01-04 16:50:32

hay! does mush-z support this big file?

2014-01-04 17:30:48

Hi,
This is not a mud, it's a mod. A sound mod. Modding the original game sounds to make a diferent project, as apposed to a mud, which is a multiuser dungeon.

2014-03-09 21:19:42

Hi,
Wow, this is great! Normally I can't stand space invaders, but this is just way too fun! I remember when the original March Masacur came out in 2012, and I played through it once and then got bored and deleted it. But this sounds absolutely nothing like it, except of course the storyline, and the retro sounds make it a blast to play! Great job!

2014-03-10 15:22:49

Hi,
Glad you liked it. It's just a shame it's all in wav format as it's kind of big.

2014-03-10 18:44:53

Hi aren.
Wow this game rocks.
I just happen to still have this mostly functional xp laptop that I use for most of my home tasks and sound design.
I have not tried it on my win7 grunty box I use for most other things but it would be a waste.
I never personally powered up an arcade cabinet.
I have a few suggestions.
The first is since this is an arcade cabinet, you could insert coins to the machine on power up.
each coin could be a life, so you could have to make it easier an unlimited supply of coins no need to only have a few, say something like 100-200 coins eventually you would run out.
I'd also like something where if you managed to survive the story then about 5-10 minutes of  the end stage, that you could overheat and blow your terminal at which point the program should crash sort of and then there should be a big explosion of some sort and you get told you have wasted the terminal or something.
On the music side, oh my gosh.
This brings me back to 1995 when I got our first p75 box.
Bar it and my laptop this was the only box we had for ages.
It did not work much till we hot rodded it but  still.
One of the games that came with it was dynaman bomb blaster which is what the last level music is based off of.
Dynaman bomb blaster for those non retro types was a game where you guided dynaman through a lot of falling bombs mines and other things.
You had to blow them before you were hit.
If you were hit you lost a life.
It came on a 1.44mb 3.5 inch floppy, and ran on dos 6.22 and over.
I am not sure if it ran on a 386 but I think a 486 dx was the minimal cpu speed for that.
It had good music and sounds using mostly the fm chip on the creative soundblaster sb16 in adlib 2 channel mode.
Though simple adlib fm midi and fx the music really was cool.
I remember walking round with the disk wandering at how so much noise could fit on a single cartredge.
I had only just hit win95 or windows in general.
up to then there was dos and pc speakers and the like.
I had not many games and spent most of the time doodling with the os.
I can't believe how much I have progressed since then.
And how quickly though slowly I have been assimilated by the net collective.
It was not to long ago about 12 years ago that I was still in dos with my trusty now broke toshiba t1850 hacked to death ofcause.
I tried every trick to get that sucker to give me more power.
advanced memmory managers, diagnostics to buggery even using the video cards memmory as  extra ram.
I even went so far as to fiddle with my config afterwards inflate all the values till the system crashed hard then run the optimiser program of my advanced memmory manager to give me more power.
AAh those were the days.
Then along came windows.
Windows is not dos.
You can customise things a bit but not as much.
And it really doesn't feel like you are doing much.
There is only so much in the interface you can do.
ANd you can't hype the values anymore because it doesn't matter that much.
And if you screw it up its not the case of just kill the file and restart, its reformat and reinstall.
That alone puts a bit of a crimp on modding the os.
Not to mention what the os can do behind your back.
That game reminds me of what life used to be before the borg came.
Before broadband while I had dialup, before cdrs, external hard drives and flash drives.
from 1995-2003 I still used dialup and then glorified dialup at 250kbps.
30 k a sec instead of the 5.3 to 7.3 kbps I was used to.
And even then the 2gb with speed throttling limit was just really bad.
I now have a 12 mb up by 1 mb down well its the other way.
I get 300kb-1200mbps down around 12-13mbps.
This is still not fast, my next update is vdsl 15-70mbps varable and thats probably all I need.
If I want 30mbps by 50 or 100mbps by 1000 constant then I have to pay a large amount of cash for it.
its not fully fiber but 15 mb -70mb down is fine for what I do.
and 5-10mbps up is definately enough.
True the same price can get me a 30 by 10mb package but I may as well get variable rates.
Yet it was not so long ago we were fiddling with the 300 bit modem.
Oddly enough I did see a 20mbps modem once and a 14.4 mbps once.
My first connection oddly enough was via paralel and serial connections using interlink and its server to backup files.
9600 n 8 1.
that for those your moderners is 9600 board rate, no parity it could be odd or even and 1 stop bits in which there could be 2 of those.
Board rates could come from 110 through 1400 at that time 1994 it was.
Now board rates can go from all that through 5600 after which they change.
adsl, lan, t1, etc have their own classes.
But for  the old timers that can remember.
If you had a 386 or 486 dx or sx, with 4-8 mb ram and 60-120mb hard drive with a floppy, maybe a cd and either an adlib or soundblaster you were set.
Ofcause you would hack it to buggery to make everything go to the max or till your cpu melted which was quite hard to be honest.
Now windows takes the fun out of things by melting before you can melt things.
Not that there is a core of clockers out there you just need more than I had.
Those were the days.
Thanks guys for making an old gamer happy

2014-03-10 20:04:58

Hi,
@crashmaster: This isn't really a new game, just an audio mod of the existing march massacre, so unfortunately I can't add coins and such.