2007-09-07 15:56:13

Hi.

as several people here probably know, a few months ago I escaped the clutches of Durham university accommodation and have now got my own flat. Apart from lots of extra space, my own decoration, and no longer having the firewalls of doom to cope with, a supreme bennifit is having an oven, ----- and indeed my own kitchen to put it in.

While being able to cook more things, and more of more things, there is one miner issue with said oven, ----- no timer!

while in colidge I made extensive use of a microwave,and my own George forman gril (which officially I shouldn't have had but hay!), both of which have highly accessible and useable timers.

Of course, I can always use my cube clock, but sinse I'm rather bad about checking the time and inclined to get carried away with what I''m doing (witness this post), a timer would be useful, and sinse my Pc is comparatively close to my kitchen, there's no reason why a program wouldn't serve my purpose.

Obviously, it'd have to be an accessible program, and to be relatively quick to set times on. it would also help if it would run quietly in the background, so I can go off and play a game or stick on a Dvd and stil be notified when time runs out.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-09-07 22:14:59

Try Internet Alarm Clock from BlindSoftware.com Works pretty well, you set a time and it runs in the background and plays a sound of your choice and pops up a dialog with a custom message when time runs out.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-09-08 10:47:54

Ta muchly, I'll look into it.

Is it free?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-09-08 20:42:28

Yeah it's free. An x-sight does have a timer, i don't know if its still up but I'm sure I have it.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-09-09 15:07:30

Well dark, if you don't find something you're interested in, it'd take me all of what, 5 minutes, to program a simple timer where you enter the time, and when that time expires, it could just loop some sound and you could only stop it by hitting the spacebar or something.

2007-09-09 15:40:06

I could also  do that. X-Sight is in autoit so you might not want to use it. If you don't like internet alarm clock I'll make you one.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-09-09 16:27:44

Windows has a clock, but lacks a timer program. There is a timer control in VB6 though I know, and combined with the multimedia control and a couple text boxes and command buttons you could set the timer control to a time of 1000 this being in milliseconds. Every time it goes off you could make it reduce 1 from a counter of seconds, etc until it hits 0 and triggers the multimedia control. Fairly simple method overall.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-09-09 17:21:36

Yes I have it. hold on i'll MSN you. I have several version including version 2. lol

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-09-10 12:34:18

thanks people, and especially sk8 and Mike for the programming offer. I'll investigate X site and blind software and see what I think.

andy, I know there are various talking clock programs around, but generally if I want to know the time when I'm on my computer, I can just check the desk top onscreen timer with the virtual focus, and for alarms and such, I stil prefer my physical clock, ------ or better stil, the time switch I've got attached to my radio.

In fact, unless it had some very special bells and whistles, I find the notion of buying a talking clock program rather odd, ----- unless of course you've got a Pda, and can thus use it as a conventional talking clock that you carry around with you.

2007-09-10 21:06:45

Hi Dark,
The X-Sight Timer has been taken down but I have a copy of it. As for talking clocks, I don't know what it is with someone selling a talking clock program. All I gotta do is hit instert f12 and i'll hear the time faster than any sound files from steve's clock can say it. The only point I can see in a talking clock is having it go off every hour or 15 minutes like a grandfather clock but I never use anything like that.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-09-10 22:25:32

Indeed Mike. In fact, sinse I don't live all that far from Durham Cathedral, I stil get chimes every 15 minutes or so just by leaving my windows open Lol!

2007-09-11 21:41:40

Don't have that much, got DS v4.3 and 2.0, timer 1.0 ill have to see what else. I'll also ask Damien about putting some of that stuff back up.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-09-12 00:29:16

Dark,

Monday I emailed you Dark Timer, something I coded this week end from "spare parts".
It's an interesting user interface problem.

Tell me if you got it and if it works for you.

John Bannick