2007-08-31 23:54:47

Hi,
I am wondering about running a mac on a windows xp machine. Its possible with vm whare, right? But what about linux. Does ubuntu enable that? I think thats what ubuntu was made for to run linux on a windows machine right?

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-09-02 03:03:15

Hi:

You can run Ubuntu on a Virtual Machine.

Game Man

2007-09-02 03:41:41

Ubuntu can be run from a live CD without modifying your system.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-09-02 09:13:27

I looked up Ubuntu on Wikipedia for some history, and it said something about being able to install it on a Windows partition. You would still need to set up dual boot, but if this is correct then you wouldn't need to make a seperate main partition for Linux... assuming a "Windows partition" includes NTFS and not just fat16/32.

Oh and Andy, please please stop typing the letter U instead of the word you. It really jars when Jaws reads it to me.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-09-02 20:48:25 (edited by Game Man 2007-09-02 20:49:07)

Hi:

So far, I think VmWare is more accessible and by that, I mean you can do almost anything in the software because there are ways of getting around things like using your We Cursor or JAWS Cursor. You can also make Ubuntu boot up from a live CD but have the CD running under VMWare or the ISO if you prefer to do it that way.
BTW, there's a free version of VMWare called VMWare Server which is a slimmed down version of VMWare Work Station. For more info, go to
http://vmware.com

Game Man

2007-09-06 00:19:16

Correct me if I'm wrong but is it possible to run a copy of windows on a mac w/o an emulation program, that is boot windows instead of mac with grub or lilo or something?

James

2007-09-06 15:16:05

I believe the newer Macs based on Intel processors are intercompatible with the PC, so in theory you can run the right version of Mac OS on a PC (which they are apparently considering releasing I hear) and Windows on the right Mac.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-09-06 21:50:53

Um... What about like running that piece of crap vista with xp on the same machine? That is cool about the VMWare/paralels thing. lol

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.