2013-07-08 20:56:36

Hi, I think there should be a feature to move your own topics in case you yourself realize they are in the wrong place, or someone else says they are. You should have to without you having to wait for the mods to kick in. That would save time for the mods and also would allow you to move your own topics yourself.

2013-07-09 21:50:56

I imagine that there's the question of whether or not the software itself supports the feature to worry about first, before trying to even canvass for votes.

Just myself, as usual.

2013-07-10 00:46:54

Well, it's definitely something we can reach out to Richard and Sander for, they have full control over the boards.

2013-07-10 09:25:24

Well, looking at the administration settings, it appears that the only way I could functionally allow everyone to move topics would be to make everyone moderators, since the ability to move topics isn't given a separate permission in the settings the way say allowing members to delete their own topics is.

however, while I do see the logic of people wanting to move their own topics, equally I can see how this could be abused, ----- imagine a spammer moving a spam topic from room to room, or someone who didn't believe say discussion of mainstream games was appropriate for an audiogames forum and so kicked topics discussing it out of general game discussion, likewise, some speculative topic about audio interfaces might be something that one person considders about games and one not, ---- such is the need for moderators, (certainly in the past I've seen people questioning the presence of certain topics, ---- for example I once remember someone saying that a topic about mudclients shouldn't belong in general game discussion since it wasn't about games).

Frankly, I never understand people's issues with posting topics in the wrong place anyway, since you can only find! the post new topic link by going to a forum room and the names of the forum rooms at least should tell you what needs to go in their, eg, new releases, certainly it's not something I've seen as a problem on other boards (none of which have the ability for members to move round their own topics either).

thus, while I see the logic for the idea, I am not really convinced it's a good one, even if the permissions could be fixed, which would take yet more board customization on the part of richard and sander.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)