2013-07-02 10:05:06

I imagine the answer is "no" but I'll ask anyway: is there a way to receive an email notification for every single posting on a thread?  I hate having to visit the forum simply to check whether there are more posts than I am being notified about.  Essentially the notification tells me there has been activity on the topic, but if the message I get notified about isn't interesting and I would continue without posting, I must now visit simply to kick the forum software into telling me about more posts (and checking if any more have occurred since the last notice).  Compared to simply discarding notes which don't interest and following links in those that do, this is a bit of a pain.  I certainly enjoy coming here to check every single forum regardless, but the way I catch up is to test each thread to see if I remember seeing the last post.  Surely there must be a better way?

On a related note, what is the meaning of the dot in the heading for a post?

Cheers,

Sabahattin

Just myself, as usual.

2013-07-02 11:37:35

Hi Sebby,

To answer your questions:

1.  Try the "New posts" link whenever you visit to get all the new threads.  Can't think why you missed that one.  Must've been very early in the AM for you, eh?

2.  The dot indicates if you contributed to the thread.  It doesn't appear to indicate the newness of the thread, but I'm probably missing some indicator there that does.

Not sure if you can enable more email than you already have; sorry.  It's certainly technically possible to send more email.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Sabahattin

PS: For the humour-impaired ... oh, never mind.  I just wasn't looking very hard, OK? smile

Just myself, as usual.

2013-07-02 12:36:19

Well Sebby, unfortunately checking topics is what forums are for, you can't really change that. this is not an E-mail list where your flooded with info about every single message, you need to actively check.

I suggest becoming familiar with your screen readers' various navigation functions for moving around the page, for instance each post is a separate heading so if you go back to the bottom of the page and go back through them you'll find the posts at the bottom, I also often find supernova's ability to instantly find text useful since I can skip straight to my last post by going to the bottom of the page, typing "dark" into the find feature then just hitting f2 to find the previous instance.

I'd also recommend going to the display settings in your profile and setting the forum to display the maximum 75 posts a page and 75 topics, since then you have fewer instances where you'll need to work through multiple pages.

hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2013-07-02 18:23:02

Yeah, being flooded is something I'm fairly good at dealing with. smile  I've already adjusted my display preferences, and navigate by heading.  I think the "New posts" should give me enough context now that it shouldn't matter if I miss a few notifications, as long as I always handle the postings in batches.  Ta for your suggestions.

Just myself, as usual.

2013-07-03 22:10:56

I wonder if rss feeds do the trick? i have not subscribed to any yet but maybe someone has so that is why ia m asking

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2013-07-04 03:27:52

Perhaps they do, yeah, although in my case it's still email since I receive RSS by email anyway. smile

Just myself, as usual.