2013-01-01 12:38:04

Well I've tried a couple more. i haven't had time to  experiment a lot with dungeon stompage, but I've tried some of the shorter games and rated them too.  Berkerzerker, the same chap who wrote dead man walking also did an  amusing game called crab  arena which is a pure battle  game. I get the  idea he was experimenting with the editer to create combat, so while it's a short game I'd recommend trying it as it's amusing.

Sadly a couple more I've tried have been less than satisfactory.

As to dead man walking, well   I did actually find one way you could die, which I looked at because it was an amusingly bad idea even though I didn't want to take that choice, and I think there are several more too.

Generally though sinse the site furnishes you with a back  button inster death choices aren't too bad, indeed one game I played had a really stupid instant death choice where it indicated you should take the other choice and then killed you for it.

Unfortunately it seems  unlike  the choiceofgames company, the quality on choose your story story can vary a huge amount depending upon who is writing and how good with the editer they are, but at least that's the reason the site has a rating system.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2013-01-01 13:45:49 (edited by MikeFont 2013-01-01 14:04:15)

When I was reading through the, (about BerkaZerka) page I read about his other titles.
Crab Arena in particular sounded very visual. I'll include it hear so you can see what I mean.

Crab Arena!

You are Crab Trainer X! Choose your Crustacean Combatant and Battle for Glory in Crab Arena! The Championship Belt is within your Grasp! Can You Do It?
Hell Yes You Can! Now GO!!! How To Play
Fight 3 Round Battles with 4 Opponents; and then a 5 Round Battle with the Final Opponent. Each Round you choose
an Attack and an Elemental Focus to power it.
CLAW HAMMER beats Body Slam / BODY SLAM beats Double Snip / DOUBLE SNIP beats Claw Hammer FIRE consumes Air
/ WATER puts out Fire / EARTH soaks up Water / AIR blows away Earth
A Color-Coded Bar shows the results between the Attacks and Focuses: Green = Win; Yellow
= Draw; Red = Lose Your Attack determines who Wins the Round; the Elemental Focus determines how much Damage you will take and how many Power Points you
will gain. Your Wins and Losses at the end of each Battle determine whether you advance or go down in flames.

I tried to seperate that speed description of the story out a little bit because its hard to take all in a gulp like that.
smile

Guess I'll give it a shot next.
big_smile

2013-01-01 18:17:59

As it turns out, its not visual at all, apparently there are graphics and powerpoint illistrations. But the interface as on all story games, are links in nature. so that's ok.

For chuckles and giggles, here's how I did.

Crab arena results

Battle 5 / Results: WIN!  Congratulations!!! You’ve won the Coveted Championship Belt! The Ultimate Glory is yours! 
You are now the new Ruler of X-treme Underground Crab Fighting!!!

TOTAL WINS: 14 / TOTAL LOSSES: 8 / Score: 180

You have Unlocked Survival Mode - Battle as far as you can on only 20 Health Points!
final result:
HEALTH: 8 / TOTAL WINS: 20 / TOTAL LOSSES: 20 / Score: 355!

They call that a loss, but I did have a lot of draws in my fights, so that's why my points weren't real high. But it was still a bit more fun then I expected. lol
This author rarely fails to deliver some form of entertainment in his story games. Enjoy the game for yourself!
big_smile

2013-01-01 21:35:48

Well while it's not exactly the  world's most descriptive game, it's  quite playable without seeing the images all of  which are labled, for instance you are told  whether you win or not and how much damage you do, as well as about your opponentn and elemental weakness.

i'd not describe it as a story game, more a sort of tactical battle sim like a short card or dice game, but it's worth a try none the less for the  rather fun battle mechanics, buyable items etc.

As I said, several other short games I tried weren't really up to snuff, but I was only  looking  for short ones anyway  since I didn't have time for something longer, however next time I do I'll try some of the better rated games on the site.

In general it seems the ratings and comments are relatively solid, heck the site doesn't even display! games with  ratings under  3 by default, though given some of the games I've played that have got a 4 rating or a 3 they must! be pretty dire.

At least though we know there is lots of good stuff.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2013-01-02 00:37:55

For everyones information, the game I was talking about earlier is called Homo perfectus 8. In fact, rather than writing on this forum, something which isn't worth the efert since I'm so tired that no one would understand me much anyway. IAB, let's go and play this game. Technically, you don't need to go anywhere to play it really, I'm just laying here in my bed and it still works fine big_smile

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2013-01-02 01:01:48

I saw that series, but didn't want to start at once since there seems to be a hole series of homo perfectus games, and  I'm a do things in order sort of fellow  especially when it comes to books much less gamebooks, why i've never  played the sequal to hellfire riders of the storm over on fighting fantasy project or any further in the wrong way go back series than the first one.

2013-01-02 02:02:48

Not sure if there is a serie but this is obviously the best one in it and I've played it and can tell that I didn't even notice it was in a serie.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2013-01-02 18:06:22

Hmmm, if you've not played the others, how do you know number 8 is the best? I can think of plenty of book and film series where the latest one is anything  but the best big_smile.

2013-01-30 12:48:23 (edited by sid512 2013-01-30 12:53:06)

hi,
here is my ending.
You Killed 35 Zombies

You Killed 1 Drooler Zombies

You Killed 0 Bloater Zombies

You Killed 0 Ghouls

You Killed 0 Banshees

You Killed 0 Hell Hounds

You Killed 0 Cannibal Gaunt Zombies

You Killed 1 People

You Saved 59 People (including yourself, unless you died)

You were eaten by 0 Zombies

Your Overall Score: 22355

(You played through 136 of 2,131 Pages and have proven to be a Survivalist)

the game was one of the very interesting of its kind, and both the language and plot were fairly easy.

i did not kill the crazy woman out there, i also didn't helped the guy if he would be a burden to carry around.

although  i tried to avoid killing people, but i'd to forcefully kill one man who was shooting at me from the top.

i escaped the railway station, upto the manhole, then to the police presinct, but have to leave the presinct after horrible zombie experiments, then followed all the way out of the city with my mountain bike and also gathered supplies whenever possible.
a quick note about the roadside woman, she would eventually become a zombie so no use of helping her accept some water, though.
i was also successfull in rescuing the wife, saving the girls, and helping  the people at school.

it was a good experience overall.

i also found a sight known as.
www.infinite-stories.com

like chooseyourstories, it contains all kind of stories in a similar way.
regards

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.