2007-05-31 01:37:41

Hello Everyone!
I often visit a site pertaining to video game speed runs(recordings of a player striving to beat a game in as little time as humanly possible).

For interest sake, I want to do audiogame speed runs to show speed runners what blind-accessible games are like.
the 4 games I'm thinking of doing are:
Shades of doom 1.0,
Monkey business,
Teraformers and Super liam.
I am quite good at all of these games, though speed-running them brings them to a hole new level.
Often times, large amounts of a game must be skipped in order to acheve a good speed run time. This is known as Sequence Breaking.
In shades of Doom, I see lots of potential for sequence breaking.
Monkey business also has great potential for it.
Super liam has potential, though due to the genre of the game it'd be much harder to do.
I plan to try a test speedrun of SoD 1.0's level 1 and maybe 2 this evening or tomorrow.
Would anyone be willing to help me by listening to it and trying to give suggestions as to what I may be able to do faster, better, or maybe something I can skip that I didn't notice?

Your help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2007-05-31 21:15:08

Hi.

Great idea. I'll help you if I can. I have completed the most of the Audiogames out there. So I think I can help you. I want to hear you beat Teraformers very fast. I find it hard to get the lazer weapon.

Best regards Soren.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2007-05-31 22:24:46

Hey,
Thanks for your help.
With regards to Teraformers, I would question myself as to weather or not the laser weppon is a skippable item.
A lot of factors must be taken into considderation here:
1] is it even possible to beat the game without the item in question?
2] if the item is theoreticly skippable, is it faster to complete the game without it(in this case, using the bazooka on all enomies), or is it faster to take the time to get the item in question(does the time saved by using the item make up for the time lost while aquiring it).
Example:
In monkey business, the time saved by using the bucket to extinguish brush fires does not outway the time lost by aquiring the bucket and the water required to use it.
However, in shades of Doom, the time saved using the bio disrupter on the boss may outway the time cost of getting it. These are hard decisions though if the correct ones are made an exelent run can be produced.

I estimate that in the worst case sinario, shades of doom could be beaten in less than 1 hour though the best case sinario would be under 40 minutes or so.
As for terraformers, I don't know;a run of that game may be harder to produce because of the save corruption glitch that often destroys your progress.

I know that from experience superliam can be done in sub-35 minutes, though there may be things that could bring that time down a bit more.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2007-06-01 15:40:44

Technically it should be possible to just learn all of Super Liam's levels by heart and jump through, not stopping to kill or pick up anything.  SOD is really hard to consistently speed-run through since so many items are placed randomly, for instance:
slight
spoilers
look out

If you happen to get a timed blast mine say, in the first room of area 1, you can go back, turn to the south and blast through the wall in front of you to get a shortcut to the opening to level 2.  Of course then you'd be stuck using a manual bolt gun with very little ammo and most likely no armor.

James

2007-06-04 03:44:18

as for random items, here's what you do:
do the run in segments, so save and quit once or twice per level.
Play through a level once unrecorded so that you know where all chritical items are. then redo that level while recording it, get what you need, and skip the rest!
Since the run is segmented you can redo parts if you screwed them up, without having to redo the run.
in my first segment all I do is start a new game, save and quit. If I always use this save file while speedrunning, the data wafer puzzle will stay the same! Yeah, you know what that means, beat the game while only collecting 8 wafers! Yeah!
I'm excited! Sequence break SoD to death!