2007-02-20 18:02:49

Hello, for those of you who don't know, a "speedrun" is a recorded attempt to complete a game in the fastest time accompleshable by the human hand, no cheat codes and such allowed.
these accompleshments take a lot of practice and as good as a person is at a game they will never successfully complete a speedrun without mistakes.
Speed runs can be done in many ways:
Pure speed runs-these are attempts to complete the game, collecting the smallest amount of items or doing the smallest number of tasks as possible, as fast as possible. for example: in monkey business, a pure speedrun would get only the necisary items(Net, Sword, rocket launcher and rockets) and would skip Coins, Ammo, Gun, Metal detecter and water bucket.
a "100 percent" speedrun is where you must collect every thing you can possible collect, leving nothing out and completing the game as fast as possible. so in monkey business, you would have to aquire the net, sword, all coins, shot gun, ammo, metal detecter, water bucket, rocket launcher and rockets(have I missed anything?).
there are other catigories such as singal segment speedruns and segmented speedruns.
Single segment is when you must complete the game in one shot, no saving allowed. these are the hardest ones to do because majer mistakes make you have to restart to prevent creating a slower run. segmented runs allow you to save as frequently as you wish so you can retry the harder parts until you get them perfect and as fast as possible. you also want to make sure you do this at the most optimal time, so it doesn't slow you down.
Speed runs also often use what we call Sequence breaks" which are taking advantage of programming error in a game to skip parts of a game. I'll use MB again. I found a glitch that lets me skip the old west level as well as a more dificult one that lets me skip the camp level. the compatition behind this is to try and beat the current runner's time. if you succeed, your recording would replace the other one.
for more information about speed runs, visit
http://www.speeddemosarchive.com.
I just wondered if a compatition of this kind would be welcom among the audiogames community and if anyone would be interested in it. I've done some speed runs of audio games just for fun which I still have, but never posted them anywhere.
Please Let me know.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2007-02-20 18:32:16

The difficult part about this is that most games don't really rely on time itself all that much. I've done point tallies, but never outright speed runs, though they'd be welcome enough.
If I could post sound files to the net and/or record them, and if I could somehow get my registered copy of SuperLiam fully working again, I could definitely give folks a run for a damned good speed-run on that one. I'm bloody fast.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-02-20 19:46:54

I'd love to compete with you on SL. I once did a single segment in like 36 min 45 sec, and my segmented time was probably 2 or 3 minutes faster. I also did a recording of that game---not for speed but for good acurisy, and confermed that I can beat the game only getting hit twice. though I can't do this in a speed run, I can do it while playing normally.
and yeah, the games may not rely on time and may not tell you how fast you did it, though you can time your runs yourself and see how fast you did it.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2007-02-21 06:46:58

Hmm...I have, believe it or not, managed to beat SL without getting hit, but I had to try many times and am not sure I could do it again. I'm at the point where a little practice will make me remember precisely where trigger-points are (fireballs, ambushes, that sort of thing).

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-02-21 17:57:33

guess what, guys!
i have an ftp server that you can all post your speed runs on. if anyone has a speed run, let me know and i'll give you the ftp info. if it's better than the last one i will delete the last one and then you'res will be up there.
in fact, you've given me the best idea.
how about "mod speed runs". same ida, but with mods. i'm doing a mario mod of tarzan junior. not only ca n i demonstrate it, but i can also show you the normal game and how fast to complete that. and no spoilers, because it's a mmod so it's all different from the original! sounds, that is.
it's nearly done, i have to finish a few cutschenes, and then... boom!
note: i am not using the marrio characters. i am only using the sounds.
enemies are living flames, flaming creatures (alpha monkey is a huge creature), and the leader is called the "fireball flame" because he has fireball-shaped feet.
regards,
aaron

2007-02-21 22:28:38

You'd better post your FtP-servers's address here, because then everyone can access the stuff there.

Two comments:
- Well, you'll need lots of bandwidth when you do so.
- Maybe you already gave the FTP-address... I didn't read your post very well. smile

2007-02-21 23:02:47 (edited by cx2 2007-02-21 23:03:11)

Giving out the FTP details is a serious security risk. Best way is if you also had web space, then you let people use the FTP server for sending then you move it over for people to access.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.