2007-02-21 03:45:11

Any accessible audiogames for nintendo gaming units? Any units more accessible then the others? Well... they all aren't really accessible but. All nintendo accissible-audiogame-related things in here!

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-02-21 17:19:54

That depends on your needs, but here, I'll give you a few basic pointers.
Fighting games for the SNES, Sega Genesis, N64, Playstation units and Gamecube, as well as (though in limited capacity) the GB and GBA units are mostly accessible (Mortal Kombat, Streetfighter, Killer Instinct in particular), as long as they're mainly two-dimentional. The more three-dimentional a fighter gets, the more difficult it becomes to fight successfully. Take it from me. I have gotten to the point with Killer Instinct Gold where I can beat the game on any difficulty with any character, taking minimal damage, but could not even come close to the same in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance or Mortal Kombat: Deception.
RPGs are almost accessible, except for the fact that maps are not hinted at and the sound of bumping into a wall or activating a puzzle is rarely evident or, if it is, is not nearly good enough to help navigation. The only glaring exception to this rule are the Pokemon games for the GBC and GBA. With red, blue and yellow, interface is a little different and you have to know exactly where to use HM moves like Surf and Strength (I required sighted help for this); with gold silver and crystal, the interface changes so that simply clicking an interactive item will allow you to use it correctly, but there's still one part of the game, the Ice Path, which involves stuff that a totally blind person can't do (you're sliding on ice and it's making no sound, nor indicating which way you're sliding). In all of the GBA games (ruby, sapphire, emerald, fire-red and leaf-green), it is possible to finish the game without sighted help...and quite easy, I might add. Walls make sounds when you bump them, every pokemon has its own sound and every attack has its own sound. The only ambiguity comes with items, and I'm afraid that comes up a bit short, but if you figure out with experimentation, I find you can get along quite well for the most part. You'll miss stuff, but not everything or even most things if you're thorough. Follow walls, and if you can'd find what you're looking for but know it's there, simply comb every available tile and hit A. Painstaking, but it can be done.
Sports games for these consoles are out of the average blind person's league in just about every case. I myself have yet to see any counter to this. The same goes with pure platformers or adventure games such as the Mario or Donkey Kong series. Puzzle games like Tetris or Columns are also inaccessible in their current state.

Okay, I know I've missed stuff but out of the last sixty hours I think I've gotten maybe fourteen hours' sleep, so gimme a break. I hope this helped, if even only a little.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-02-21 17:31:29 (edited by audiogamer360 2007-02-21 17:32:45)

I have a gba sp and a Nintendo DS Lite. The gba is pretty accessible just need to get better games! The nin ds is too in some ways that I will explain in another post.

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-02-21 20:11:53

Wasn't there something a while back about what was basically an audio game for one of the Nintendo handheld consoles?

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-02-21 20:56:02

Hi,

I have played some sports games on the PS2 before. Madden I've played and I've won hardcore; and the reason I know is because it's got good comintary, and I know who's the home and away teams, etc.

Also smackdown, pretty accessible as well, only problem is is that I myself, yeah my friend does but I have no clue what I'm doing in terms of controls.

Fight Night round three might be considered playable by us as well. Boxing that is.

So um. yeah. Sports games can be played, MK:A is awesome, Raise to Honor's fighting system is awesome, and I can even get through chapter 1, though cpapter three is a bit dificult for us because you're walking on this roof, and like, you can fall, and that's not cool.

But, if anyone has some games for the PS2 or Wii that's playable, post it here--I'd love to give it a shot.

2007-02-21 21:38:15

Hi,
I've heard about the Bit Generations Sound Voyager -- I am getting it. I am worried about it being sent all the way from Asia lol. but... yeah the nin ds is pretty accessible i just have to remember the options which is'nt verry hard.

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.