2006-05-29 12:08:21

hello damien

2 things:
1. you sed something about recording the same rithem in various speeds... here is a suggestion: why dont you change the frequency of the same drum loop throo out the game, there is a frequency flag in com audio, that lets you do that
you can try playing with it, and as levels progress, you raze the frequency...
that will save you alot of work, what more, you wont have to have different files for the same loop and you'll be able to save alot of space.
2. didn't you say you had a website, I mean, the better thing is to put the file in your ftp and give your beta testors the link... rather than doing all this skype work(totaly not professional)
best regards

2006-05-29 12:48:57

well really if i were to begin programming i would also do that especially since i might not know anything about uploading stuff. not professional, but easy enough.
well the frequency is right, but you could also have a number of loops, the last loop going faster and faster the higher level you go, but change the music on the first levels and once the player reaches a certain level or gets a certain amount of points there is a loop which goes faster the higher you go. but again this takes up more space but makes the game a bit more interesting. the same was with acefire actually, there was a loop always, but a different loop if the player dropped below 30% and another different one if the player dropped below 10%.

2006-05-29 13:17:26

well for a start, it isn't my website. secondly, the frequency in comaudio also changes the pitch, which is not what the bop it does. the music already changes throughout the game, as does the real bop it extreme.

regards,

damien.

2006-05-29 18:05:59

as reguards frequencey changes, I'd personally like to see a boppit type game that really does increase in speed. Boppit Extreme and advanced both get up to a certain speed, then stop increasing, causing the game to lose some of it's challenge. So I agree with Arjan, a number of loops, but also implimenting frequencey changes to allow the game speed to increase significantly.

As reguards where you put the files, professional or not, I'm afraid I haven't even heard of Skipe before, so personally I'd prefer them on iether an Ftp download or something like Yousendit.

Btw, Damian, I told my musician friend about what you said reguarding Yousendit, and he was rather surpriset, sinse he's been using the service for a while and not encountered any of the sort of problems you mentioned, ---- maybe it was just a temporary bodge up on their part?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-05-29 18:15:10

well i'm still a bit worried about using services like that. i don't have an ftp, and the website as i said before is not mine.
as i said before, the reason i'm not using frequency changes is because it changes the pitch, which is not the idea. the idea is that it speeds up (like tempo in midi) not puts the pitch up (like using an audio transposer, especially when it messes up the sound).

regards,

damien sadler

x-sight interactive manager

2006-05-29 23:41:20

I know what you mean about the frequencey increase, and squeky sound effects would not be a good thing. I just hope you'll be able to get the game running at a sufficient speed by increasing the Tempi of the midi files.

If you don't fancy using Yousendit or similar services, and if it's not possible for you to send beta testers the game any other way, you could see about temporarily borrowing space on somebody else's site ----- perhaps for a day, just long enough for the testers to be able to downloadd the game files, sinse there are so many sites around here devoted to improving the celection of audio games, I'm sure somebody could lend you the space to upload the file on a temporary basis.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-05-30 00:21:49

now, wouldn't that be cool, if they were midi files? but no, they are encrypted wav files. i could redesign the whole sound set where it's my playing and speaking and my own sound effects also rather than the bop it extreme ones, but that's up to you guys.

regards,

damien

2006-05-30 01:39:12

Incripting Boppit extreme wavs? That sounds terrifyingly technical to me.

At risk of having you run after me with a big stick, how about having two modes, original boppit mode with the Wavs and speed mode with high tempo Mp3's, that way even people who already owned a boppit extreme would get something new out of the programme (other than the convenience of having Boppit on your computer of course).

I'm very sorry if I'm suggesting something completely ludicrous from a technical point of view, there are newts swimming in the lake outside my room who know more about practical programming than I do.

2006-05-30 07:21:25

i actually find it a pretty nice idea. well yeah if i change the pitch of a voice, it sounds like a crazy person, and i don't think you can stop that from happening. most games do have encrypted wav files - you can't access viPgameszone's soundfiles that easily with sound recorder, windows media player or whatever - you'll need a program which is now gone called pSound which i used to have but unfortunately lost it.

2006-05-30 08:38:39

maybe, like i said i may just do my own version that may speed up etc, but as long as i'm using bop it extreme sounds i won't be able to.

i have to sort out a few major errors before i can even think about changing the sounds, etc.

regards,

damien

2006-05-30 13:00:46

and if it's midi files, the game will be a heck of a lot smaller. each midi will only be about 10kb or 20kb or something like that

2006-05-30 13:31:39

aaron are you mad?
a. don't you mean 1 kb for a rhythm? and
b. don't you think if i could use midis i would? it'd be a lot easier - but as it is called comaudio and not commmidi, i'm afraid i can't. lol.

regards,

damien

2006-05-30 14:18:18

And, if you think, you can't convert other files to mid, since it is impossible, how the converter wil tell to your sound card which musical instruments and effects it should use?
However, i am glad you are doing another game, damien.
It is possible to play mid files, not with comAudio, but with simple windows APIes, like the windows multimedia control.
Encrypting files, well, if you would like to do it well, then indeed, it is hard. Not the coding, the algorythm itself.
If you can find out an algorythm, which is good, please tell me, i may will use it as well, lol.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-05-30 14:29:56

hello,

talking about sending the games when you use windows you will not have a problem of the firewall issue.
I have tried windows messanger and haven't had any trouble with it.

2006-05-30 16:01:54

i have decided. i am making a complete turnaround with the audio in bop it. the audio is going to be converted midis, which will indeed have a speed increase, therefore you'll be able to enjoy the game as it speeds past all recognition ...

secondly, x-sight interactive has a new site currently under construction. if you have any further info, email me at [email protected]. more news will be posted here on the site as it becomes available.

regards,

damien sadler.

2006-05-30 22:22:38

Hmmm, these both sound like good ideas to me, hopefully from your new site beta testers will be able to download the game?

when you've got things up and running, and the game needs some testing, please give me a yell (provided you think I could vaguely be some use of course) , iether here, or on my E-mail [email protected].

2006-06-02 21:46:58

i am pleased to announce my new site is finally up. anyone off here wanting to beta test my bop it game can finally do so. please email me at [email protected] and i'll tell you the link.
if you are interested, please visit the x-sight websiteP:
http://x-sight.brandoncole.net.

regards,

damien

2006-06-07 09:22:35

hello damien

just for your information, you can actualy use midy files with direct x, it's called direct music, it's much better than API's and much,much better than the idea of using com audio
anyway, good luck with the game
yakir arbib

2006-06-07 11:30:13

hmm. but what about the encryption - calling up buffers and trapping key presses is hard enough in vb with dx, not to mention that there's no compression/encryption routines in dx.

regards,

damien

p.s.: as long as the program works that's really all that counts.

2007-02-04 20:25:55

if the beta testing position is still open may I please become a tester for bopit extreme? Thanks very much and if you have AIM, my screen name is electrode1199.

2007-02-06 06:31:01

I would like to be a beta tester as well. My realy name is Michael Lau.

2007-02-06 20:12:45

Can i be a beta tester?

I live to crochet!

2007-02-09 18:44:38

Ok Guys, Listen Up.
I'm Sorry To Announce This. Beta Testing Is All Closed. I'm Not Too Sure What's Oging On With The Game. But There Have Been No New Updates For Ages. I Only Played... Well... Not Too Many. It's Ok But I Think He's Working On A Better Version, And If You Have The X-sight Timer In The "other Projects" It Has The Name: "windows Beepbop" Or Something Like That. I Hope It Will Have The Ability For Customizing Keyboard Controles, Because The Bop It... Game... Well.... Let's Just Say... Was, In My Oppinion, Too Hard For It's Own Good. All Because Of The Keyboard Controls.

2007-02-09 19:35:01

just want to note out, don't we all want to beta test something? i don't really like to read this, yeah i know who doesn't want to beta test? but i'd rather have you email the guy about it. just my personal opinion though. smile