2007-02-05 21:52:22 (edited by gamehawk 2007-02-06 16:13:46)

I've made an audio game, an adventure game.  Here are some details:

Name:  Murder in Magenta
Download:  Murder in Magenta
Download Plain URL:  http://www.64digits.com/download.php?na … p;id=14938
Download Size:  572 kb
Self Voicing:  Yes, SAPI.
Genre:  Adventure
Graphics:  None, just a background that says Murder in Magenta.
Storyline:  You are a drunk that is trying to turn his life around, when something unimaginable happens.  Your friend is murdered and you are blamed for it.

I hope you enjoy this game!  Please leave feadback!

Cheers,

gamehawk

2007-02-05 22:26:40 (edited by DavyKager 2007-02-05 22:36:31)

The size isn't really amazing, but I'll try it though.

Well, I don't... It creates an error (excuse me for cracking down new stuff smile ).

2007-02-05 22:51:01 (edited by gamehawk 2007-02-06 00:53:34)

The size is small.  What exactly is the error you get?

2007-02-06 01:05:49

Hello.

I've downloaded the game, however for some reason, when I run the Exe file (the only thing in the folder), the game window opens okay, but then absolutely nothing happens, I don't get any speech or sound.

I'm fairly certain there isn't any trouble with Sapi on my machine, sinse I'm running windows Xp, ----- and anyway, run that require Sapi in the past haven't had any similar problems.

Any advice would be much appreciated, I fancy studdying the case described in this game, ------ perhaps in scarlet? ;D.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-02-06 01:32:38

Huh, some people at another community have it working fine.  Do you allow VBScript to run on your system?  Your antivirus might block it out, but it's needed  for my game.

2007-02-06 02:26:11

I'm afraid I have no idea what Bscript is, and so wouldn't know if it was being used or not. However, I am unfortunately living under the tyrrany of the Durham university network connection, which (among various things such as random port blocking), saturates your computer with McAfi antivirus, with enforced settings which aren't changeable (the network changes them back if you try), and reinstalls McAfi if you dare to want to use another antivirus.

thus far, I've only noticed network related annoyences occurring when trying to do things online (I can't play muds for example), but it's possible that I'm already disabling Bscript without being aware of it.

Is there any way I could find out? Are there any common programs or audio games that use it?

Thanks.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-02-06 02:40:44 (edited by gamehawk 2007-02-06 03:50:16)

Maybe not, I don't use a common language for it, and usually VBScript isn't used.  When you run my game it renders a WAV file and a VBS file to play the sound.  Check your C: to see if you can see a file called tempaudiofile.wav, but if you are on a network, there might not be a C:.  That could be the problem.  If that is, let me know and I'll update the game.

I've updated the game regardless, so there are no future problems.

Cheers,

gamehawk

2007-02-06 08:00:26

Hmm...I downloaded the game and it ran without a hitch.
Only one problem: I beat it in about three minutes flat.
Something along this line would be very interesting if it were much much more complex, but if this is your first or smallest attempt, congratulations.
I'm fairly good at hatching plots and making clues and such, and if you are capable of putting more commands into the game, it could be a half-serious extension of interactive fiction. Commands such as "get", "drop", "open", "close", "talk", "fight", etc.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-02-06 16:12:55 (edited by gamehawk 2007-02-06 16:15:10)

Thanks, it was my first "real" adventure game.  I'm glad you liked it.  I might make a mini adventure game series after my next project.  I hope to make a CYOA sort of program for making audio games easily.

2007-02-06 23:17:34

Well, I certainly have a C drive, the computer is actually mine, but it's necessary to be connected to the university network in order to get onto the internet. and send and recieve E-mails.

I've found the speak and Tempaudiogame files in the Murder in magenta folder, but for some reason, the game stil isn't working. I can only assume that Bscript has been disabled somehow, and if the cause is indeed McAfi, then there unfortunately isn't much I can do on this machine. It's quite a pest, sinse I'm a big fan of Interactive fiction so would certainly like to try this game out.

2007-02-06 23:45:55

I'm going to try and patch the game in C++, this should work better than what I am currently doing.  After now, all my audio games will be in C++, my other language isn't reliable enough.

2007-02-06 23:48:50

Sounds good, I'll certainly look forward to trying the game out.