2012-04-02 03:25:06

I made this for Rage a very long time ago and never bothered to post it.  If anyone is interested in using it, this thing pulls data from weather.com to display it in an accessible and convenient way.
www.kaldobsky.com/audiogames/weather.zip

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2012-04-02 03:41:41 (edited by gamedude 2012-04-02 03:47:14)

Oh my god Aprone! I think that I can say with no hesitation that you are the best accessible program developer on Earth. You are always coming up with programs that no one has thought about developing. I am trying this one out right now.
I have just tryed the program. It is wonderful. Does anyone think they can atempt this sort of thing in BGT?

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2012-04-02 04:58:25

I think it could be done in BGT, since you can get text from the internet.
Though it'd require actually learning the http system, and the format of a page like weather.com... Neah, I think I'd just use Aprone's for the time being.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-04-02 08:04:43

lol! nice one

After years, i finally changed my signature! But i don't know what to say :D

2012-04-02 18:20:47

i really could not get the hold of this thing, for me it displays the same thing for every region.
for example, winds at 92, 93, or overcast conditions would become mostly cloudy, etc.
always the same stats that is.

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2012-04-02 18:34:10

what have you been typing in to the location field?

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2012-04-02 19:06:50

Hi Aprone!
Sounds great, although I can't try it, since my Windows partision broke for some unknown reason --- see the topic about that. And I have not been missing too much while i've been away. Two months, and nothing has really changed in this community --- and I know that my english is like crap now, haven't practised.
BTW: I am glad about the progress on swamp and that you've finally moved it to the main server. Unfortunately, I can't play it right now, wanted to try out my new surround sound system. OFF TYPIC!!!

Audiogames has entered a new era. With blockbusters such as bk2, swamp, perilous hearts and the soon-to-come road to rage, audiogames takes a new shape. High quality sounds, multiplayer and very sufficiant AI is audiogames next step towards attention. The world is about to change so cheer with me, hurray!

2012-04-02 20:40:59

hi aprone! this is a very nice idea and easy way to find out the weather
without going to websites, i really like it.. however it's not working here, i type the name of
my city and then my state, i also tried the name of the city and the country
but no info is retrieved.. i wonder if brazil is supported in the website that the program is
retrieving the info.
if in a future update it works, i'd be interested in translating the program if you allow me.
thanks man!

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2012-04-02 20:41:58

Aprone. Have you programmed this thing to let you know when there is a severe weather alert. If you haven't done that. How about that for a suggestion

2012-04-02 21:10:01

I've been told that entering your zip code gives the best results.  Gamedude that's a good idea.

I'm not sure I'll be developing this program any further though.  It was just something I threw together when Rage requested it, and I was reminded to finally post it so that others could use it if they wanted.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2012-04-02 21:54:46

Oh. I understand.

2012-04-02 22:26:27

Hi Aprone.

Actually this is a really handy idea for a program, especially for someone like myself who travels around on trains a lot.

One thing though, I'm afraid I'm having a couple of bugs.

Firstly, the program didn't recognize my postal code. I typed In durham england, and while I think it got the right location I'm not sure since it said "durham +e n g l a n d" perhaps a select country box would be a good idea? especially considdering how you thieving americans knicked so many of our English placenames, not to mention so many others from around the world big_smile.

Actually I got a shock when i found out Durham massitusits is apparently a large, industrial and crime wridden city, quite confusing considdering that the original is a small, countrified and very historical university town, which can only really be considdered a city because of the cathedral.

Anyway, the other thing is the sapi speech didn't seem to function correctly.

"the temperature is partly cloudy with a partly cloudy and outside it feels partly cloudy"

Was one of the sentences I got from the program, perhaps you could have a look at this?

other than this, great idea for a program, and one I'll find quite useful myself.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-04-02 22:32:19

Well, I have had great results with it. WEll, I have only done zip codes, so i wouldn't know. I haven't tried to type in a city or anyhing.

2012-04-02 22:59:12

Actually Dark, having a drop down menu wouldn't help for the same reason there isn't anything I can do about the occasional odd Sapi sentence.  This thing just interfaces with weather.com and feeds it the search criteria you told it.  The messages that come back are parsed from the resulting page data and depending on the employee who writes the weather descriptions it can sometimes end up with odd results.  For example I've found that most of the time it might say "Partly cloudy" and "chance of rain" under it, but at random a day might be laid out exactly in reverse where "Chance of rain" shows up on top and "Partly cloudy" is below.  The program just pull the data from the specific spots that seemed to work most of the time.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2012-04-02 23:13:36

Hi,
this is rather cool. Though sadly weather.com is a US only site.
You could probably use google weather, I know they got a propper api to pool results and you can use it outside the US.
Window-eyes had a script called weather or not which did more or less what this does, except it obviously works only in WE and I do have to say I miss it now that I use NVDA.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2012-04-03 05:29:51

Ah, if it's a us only site that would explain why I'm not getting the results from postal codes. Unfortunately if this is indeed the case obviously the program might not be as helpful to everyone outside the us.

Sorry about the sapi thing, that is a pain.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-04-03 14:06:09 (edited by sid512 2012-04-03 19:57:05)

hi guys,
if you are using jaws 11 or later, isn't there a feature called research IT?
just pres insert space, you will hear a sound, then press r without any long delays, and you would get a edit field where you can type your city or country, and it works for the whole world instead of US only.
press enter after you are done typing your desired location, you will get a list of many things to choose from.
just keep pressing w untill you get weather, press enter on it.
if your internet is not starving enough to disengage the process, you will get a small, jaws-type virtual display sorta window which is perfect for weathering needs!
perhaps it had been very useful to me, of course.
that is probably one of the super advantages of jaws over any freeware open source like nvda, and it is good if ye are geting jaws for cheap and simple  arrangements.

plus, there are other things to choose from as well! for example, currency convert, wictionary entry if you are reading a novel in between and not sure about a word, just press insert alt r, and you will instantly get the meaning of the word that your curser is on.
there are also things like reuters news stories, mlb or nfl scores, --- there are other things that i don't remember at this time! big_smile

sorry for going too much off topic but,

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2012-04-03 16:03:47

ahoy there
I myself use the research it feature   of jaws,and must agree ,that it is useful. however, I hadn't heard of the insert ctrl r for finding the meaning of the words. I even tryed it on here,but it didn't work. perhaps it doesn't work on IE? hmm.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2012-04-03 19:58:02

hi gryff,
insert control r?
no, i think its insert alt r, or perhaps you might want to look my previous post once again... lol

2012-04-03 22:13:34

hahahahahahahahahahahaha! I just tried insert, control, and r with nvda for some reason. Then, it just went silent for 7 minutes. I thought I had broken NVDA!hahaha

2012-04-04 07:33:18 (edited by grryfindore 2012-04-04 07:35:21)

ahoy there
seems like I was mistaken in me readings or you editted the post,:p. either way, thanks bunches.
grryf.
ps. even   alt insert r doesn't work for me . sad

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2012-04-07 06:06:16

Wow, now all we need is a way to get more Star trek eppisodes described, well that's all I need, oh and a good HTML English dictionary for the braille note, since the Oxford dictionary thing was deleted from the compact card by a previous user of the braille note. I found a webster dictionary from like 1913, but its 20-something MB, which won't open in the braille note quickly enough, probably will take it 20 or so minutes.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2012-04-07 22:35:08

Hi,
I have tried the program, and I typed Istanbul Turkey, but I don't know if it found the right weather but it foud some results. Thank for making this!

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2012-07-09 17:48:03

Not long after I made this public, the site I was mining weather data from changed its format and my program started giving out gibberish info.  I've fixed it this morning so people can once again use this program.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2012-07-09 20:20:32

Once again; a job well done!  YAY!  smile

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.