2007-01-17 07:28:07 (edited by ItsAConspiraZ 2007-01-17 07:34:03)

Alright, I have to comment on this.  It's annoying enough when people are asking how to complete something or other showing no signs of their actually trying to figure it out themselves (the easy way out) but when they ask for instructions on operating the program which allows them to cheat it's too much.  Dd, Troopanum, Jayde, I'd strongly advise you to try playing games instead of looking for a quick win.  What the hell are you going to get out of a game if you don't put any effort into beating it other than the ending sound?  If any of you have something to say in your defense do so, because I honestly don't see the point of "playing" a game if all you're going to do is read the walkthrough and follow it step by step until you reach the end.

James

2007-01-17 08:22:44

i kind of agree here but come on isn't this a bit harsh and also they might have been playing it already. the game cheater for example, I'd probably try it out myself perhaps, but i have already beat the game, i am just going to see what nifty things it can do. ok enough about this.

2007-01-17 08:41:37

I think the thresholds for playing audio games can be quite high. Especially when you are new to playing audio games. I think some people really need walkthroughs. Let's try to support each other! smile

2007-01-17 08:42:32

Uh-oh. You're about to get the rough side of my tongue.

There is a huge difference between a gamer who wants no thrill of conquest (wishes to have everything spoon-fed to them) and a gamer who honestly needs help.
I have already admitted that in a couple of instances with TechnoShock, I probably could've looked a little harder and figured stuff out for myself before asking, but I didn't, and there's no way to get around that. The fact that  have done so, however, does not make me a bad gamer, or doesn't n any way comment on me except perhaps to say that I lke to ask questons of a message board even whle I experment. I wll have you know that under NO CRCUMSTANCES did I sit back and ask for a walkthrough of an entre part/level and do nothng till I got it. You can bet your life that even after asking a question, I was trying to figure it out. The only instance I was truly stumped is when the creator of TechnoShock put something in his game that defies logic (the electric doors, where you have to find a switch to open the first one but can click open the rest?) Um...excuse me, but with the available evidence, I kind of didn't want to die, and had been given no way of suspecting that this new clickable electric barricade would be any different than the first one I encountered. Ergo...not my fault on that one. Everything else about TechnoShock? Well, chalk it up to me getting stumped/not looking hard enough, going back and messing around with it after asking a question here, getting the answer here after pretty much already knowing it, then doing it myself.
Have I ever asked for full walkthroughs? No, I haven't. Have I needed help at every turn? No, I haven't. In fact, for those of you on level 4 who've seen the switch across the pit and the telephone, I figured them out without asking by trial and error. So the next time you want to accuse me of being a lousy gamer, consider that it may partially be the game's fault, and also consider that to ask a question is not an automatic leaning toward laziness.

One other point, and I'm pretty sure I made this in another topic but I'll make it again:
Cheats! Are! Not! Necessary!
They're! Just! Nice!

There. Now that I've underlined it, I hope you get the point. I am not whining because there are no cheats. I am not demanding that cheats be made, only suggesting. And that program to which we were referred? Umm...last time I checked, cheats were for fun.
Furthermore, since you don't know me, you don't know my mindset about cheating to finish a game. It is, in fact, my opinion that until you have beaten a game without cheating, it doesn't count. So, that said, I'm playing through TechnoShock, being very careful, trying to explore and trying not to die, and not using any cheats.

I want to wrap up with the sharpest commentary of all:

You, sir, have a lot of nerve posting a topic like this on a message board which is, in fact, DEVOTED TO giving help to audio gamers. I'm not sure if you're trying to seem superior by attempting to demean others based on inconclusive evidence, or if you're just thickheaded and can't get your definitions straight. I come here to help and to ask for help, not to be insulted or to feel forced to defend myself. Next time you make accusations or critical analyses, it would be very good of you to thoroughly research your subject matter, lest you get squashed again. Good evening.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-01-17 08:45:13

...And I apologize in retrospect for my i key. Near the beginning of my message it didn't seem to work. I hope it can still be pieced together.

2007-01-17 09:08:49

Okay, I apologise for sounding so harsh.  Jayde, I hadn't read your message about trying to complete the level yourself until now.  It was directed more at Troopanum and DD.  Based on their post histories of asking for complete walkthroughs of X level for Y game (never showing anything about how far they've gotten) I assumed they wanted an easy victory.  Nevertheless it was wrong for me to post this on a forum for help with audiogames, and I request this topic be deleted (simply because anything people would have to say in response is inflamitory and not constructive).

James

2007-01-17 09:21:04

Apology accepted. I have myself noticed that trend in some people, though I won't name names, but I myself am forever trying to figure stuff out for myself. I'm just quick to ask sometimes if I get stuck or whatnot.

2007-01-17 10:50:30

Maybe in this topic people should calm down, relax and think about things in an objective and adult manner. It is quite possible to discuss this issue (and an interesting issue it is), without being harsh or unpleasant to other forum members who's views on the subject might differ. I also don't think naming names, and pointing the finger at other members is particularly fair either.

My personal views on the matter of cheats and walkthroughs are that Every gamer has different strengths and weaknesses, and it's quite reasonable that different people will find different things in games easy and hard, particularly when this comes to puzling situations.

There are also instances where something in a game (particularly in an audio game), may not be a hundred percent clear, and rather than go through a period of trial and error, it might be easier to ask for help.

For example, when I first finished Pipe 2, the boss kept shooting me because i couldn't work out about the enter key acting as a jump. If Bsc had written something about this in the manual it would've been fine, however after three separate completions of the game, and being killed by the boss many times (often within secconds of fighting him), a litle help was deffinately welcome.

I think walkthroughs, and tips on forums are absolutely fine in most cases, sinse the player is stil required to actually complete the task set out in the walkthrough, which might be easier said than done. For instance, I've heard several Lone wolf walkthroughs, but there are missions I've stil not been able to do, sinse that's a game I just find rather difficult for some reason.

As far as cheats go, personally I feel people should think very carefully before deciding whether to use cheats on their first completion of a game, and I'm not convinced that everyone does. There might however be some games that certain people find just too frustrating, and so wish to use a cheat code for, rather than abandon altogether. I certainly wouldn't mmind a code to slow down those dam destroyers in Lone wolf! ;D.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-01-17 12:23:31

I, for my part, have no problem with civil discussion in the slightest, even if my views are radically different than other members. Difference is what makes it fun.

I'm mostly in agreement with the above poster. Usually on my first run-through I don't cheat at all, no matter how hard it is. If I get just that frustrated, it's a sign either the game is too hard for me, I'm not as interested as I thought (the less interested I am the less I'll try) or I'm missing something.
I normally don't need walkthroughs for stuff, and normally like vague-ish walkthroughs in any event. If you saw the post I wrote for a walkthrough of L3, I didn't mention anywhere near everything, just the noteworthy stuff. The player who wanted a walkthrough is still going to have to get timing and directions right (I was deliberately vague there).

2007-01-17 13:57:42

Lol there's something. I have not got the point of this topic. When I started reading this topic, I said, "Uh oh, now we will see a few harsh replies!". Some came but some fortunately didn't. Anyway, what are we really discussing here? Cheats? Walkthroughs? Urm. Helps? I cannot find out. The subject of this topic is like a sign saying, "We have lots of finger pointing and things here.", which fortunately stopped. Now what else? Lol.

2007-01-17 14:38:23

Hi,
Ok, I must defend myself here.  I posted about the game cheater application simply because I thought it was cool, and sighted folks have had access to such tools for years.  In fact, this very application is designed to be used with mainstream games, but it works equally well with audio games, and it's accessible by the blind, which is more than I can say for Quick Memory Editor, another such program I investigated.  What got me to looking for such a program is that I just couldn't beat Judgment Day on the hard level.  I could beat Easy at the drop of a hat, and managed to beat Normal, but every time I played Hard, I'd die at about level 8 or 9.  This happened three or four times, which was frustrating to say the least.  So I found this program and just nuked my troubles away...

2007-01-17 16:17:26

I think getting into a debate about who's responsible for what in this topic wouldn't be a good use of people's time and energy, and as Parham said, pointing the finger isn't a good thing.

However, Jaybird's post about the game cheater program has bought up a genuine issue for discussion here: when is it advisable to use cheats in a game? when a walkthrough?

Is it okay to use cheats the first time you complete a game or should you wait?

if the game cheater program can provide cheats for just about any game, then it seems like a good time to discuss these questions, ----- provided we can keep things civil.

Btw, whatever my opinions about use of cheats, I certainly approve of the accessible cheating program, sinse in main stream gaming similar things have been around for an extremely long time.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-01-17 19:52:59

When I played mainstream games prior to my sight loss I used cheats in these situations:
When I was just in the mood to mess around and didn't feel compelled to actually achieve something, often enough in shallow games or when I'd played a game a lot
When I was finding the game hard, either due to difficulty or genre.

As to walkthroughs the answer would be for me as and when I get stuck, or where there is skill required in actually getting through with or without knowing what a possible solution is.

The answer is of course different for everyone. Think of it like this, if using guides and cheats straight off makes someone happy then let them. It is not for us to judge what someone else finds entertaining and nor should we. I personally find the idea of skydiving completely ludicrous, but I am sure many people quite enjoy it and I don't complain about it.

In short, I think we should let people play the way they want to.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-01-17 20:20:26

Great point. Everyone that wants can ask for hints and walkthroughs, while those who don't want, well, can stop reading that part. This that I am not good at audio games should be solved by the help of you who are good at it. We are a comunity, aren't we?
Ok I'd stop saying things you already know.

2007-01-17 22:51:17 (edited by dark empathy 2007-01-17 22:53:53)

As I said before, I certainly agree as far as walkthroughs go.

With cheats though, while it is certainly anybody's choice when to use them, I do believe there are cases where people (including me), use cheats without thinking.

for example, when we used to own a comadore amigar, I regularly wouldn't play any game without iether infinite lives or infinite energy, even when i hadn't tried it normally first, and being as the amigar had a lot of cracked game disks with cheat menues, this meant almost every game I played. However, one day my best friend challenged me to played turrican 2 without any cheat codes, and more to shut him up than anything else I did. To my utter surprise, I actually got very close to finishing the game, and I must admit I had a lot more fun than when i was playing with infinite lives.

sometimes on old Snes or mega drive games I will quite often use a level skip or level select code as a save feature, but nowadays, I stear clear of any cheat code that gives you unlimited anything, and I probably wouldn't unless it was a choice betwene cheating and hurling the game at the wall in utter and absolute frustration.

Of course, that's just my experience upon the subject, and anyone else's thoughts might be different.

2007-01-17 23:05:07

Well frankly as it stands cheats are less of an issue in audio games right now, I don't know of many that include cheats and most of those that do seem to require completion of the game first. I know you can pay a little extra for cheats in shades of doom, but frankly I'm not sure I could be bothered even if I wanted them.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-01-18 00:08:35

CX2 I must say you're right.  It's funny because that's my opinion on most things (that everyone has their own idea of what's this or that and as long as it makes them happy they should do it).  I felt so strongly simply because someone who exclusively used a walkthrough to get through a game could say they beat it in record time (for instance), which wouldn't give those of us who figured it out ourselves a fair chance to do the same.  Of course I only feel this way because I always want to be the first one to do it and the one who does it best.  I suppose the only scenario cheating would matter in is where online scoreboards are involved (contests etc); see my post in the "game cheater" topic.

James