2012-02-29 04:22:32

Thank you so much Aprone.

I've gotta say, I've been climbing the walls the past few days without my Swamp. This game is for sure just as adictive as any illegal narcotic you wish to name.
I'm a junky for life.

Peace

Brawny

Thumbs up

2012-02-29 04:22:35

Very quick first impressions: I love the new skills to replace sharp and charm.  It looks like missions have been tweaked to discourage overcrowding by having a set exp and rep pool.  It also looks as though missions in the second warehouse get more xp and less rep compared to missions in the first warehouse.  I assume this is intentional.

Be prepared to lose quite a few levels, I lost 6.  Not complaining, makes sense.

I think that requiring loot in the form of fuel to lead missions is an excellent way to return looting to the place you want it to hold. 

The mission log appears to be buggy.  I died three minutes before turning in two crates.  I did turn in two crates, and I did die, but not being Jesus I did them in the usual order.

Thumbs up +1

2012-02-29 06:58:25

Hi Aprone and Everyone!
First of all I can say you are so awsome regardingg of creating such a nice game for our community.
I was spend so many hours with swamp, It was so great.
It was make me enjoy a lot as well.
And I also try to teach some people in my country to play your game too.
So far so many people was very happy with your game.
Especially how to use mouse navigation.
I can say for the visually impair community here.
This is the first time for us to use mouse to play a game.
I can say all the credit and bressing will be with you always.
By the way I've just got some question to ask.
Since I was playing swamp in 1.9 beta four and my level it was level 11.
But when I test to play in the new release beta wich is a level five.
And I found out my level it was getting down.
It was tell me right now.
My level it was level nine.
And all the weapon that I have still with me.
So I don't know what happen with it.
If you all will be able to answer my question it's willl be very awsome.

Best!
Bee!

No! Please don't get me wrong!
The wrong could be right! The right could be wrong.

Thumbs up

2012-02-29 08:28:40

Aprone adjusted the experience required for leveling, so most people will lose levels on the latest version.
This actually is more noticeable on higher level players than lower ones, heh.

After reading theMadViolinist's post, I decided to check out my missionlog.txt, and it claims I died halfway through the mission, which not only did I not do, but then I went on to drop off a crate.
Someone did die on that mission, but the only death I see in the log is the fake me death.
So it would seem that the death part of mission logs is broken. Sadface

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

Thumbs up +1

2012-02-29 09:21:34

I downloaded the latest version. How should I keep my level, ammo, so on? I was playing 1.8b.

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2012-02-29 10:27:50

Okay, I have a suggestion.

this has happened to me on a number of missions and caused my death. I will be running around collecting crates and I run in to a swarm on the way. I could make it through and all just fine if I keep the med kits coming and stuff, but hear is my issue. When I'm being attacked by multiple zombies at one time I can't hear jaws, my footsteps or even when I run in to walls or other obsticles. I was wondering if it would be possible to add a key to turn down the sounds for when you are bing attacked or something like that. Doesn't have to be like high on the priority list or anything, but if you would consider adding something like that I would appriciate it lol. If I am the only one having this problem then I guess I will jsut have to deal with it.

Another thing I have noticed is when I am on a mission and I am in a swarm, my game slows down considerably. Don't know if their is a way to fix that or not or if it's just because theirs a lot of stuff around and it slows the game down because of it.

Sorry if I come across as demanding or something if I am, I'm sorry and not how I mean it, just wanted to post my suggestion.

Thumbs up

2012-02-29 11:10:19

Lol, no problem wp85.  It looks like it was a glitch in your keyconfig file that solved itself.

jsymes I believe the version 1.6 was the last one to contain single player, though the single player was super buggy because by that time it had gone a long time without being updated to match the rest of the game.  I don't have the older version but I have seen people passing it around, so hopefully someone is able to point you in the right direction.  While your friend would be able to try out Swamp in single player, it's almost like he wouldn't be trying out Swamp though, haha.  The game is so completely different than it was back in 1.6, and especially single player since that hadn't been updated since probably version 1.0, that he/she would really be missing out on a lot.  I'd recommend that you try to encourage them to play the modern version after they've given the single player a try.

Brawnze did you register just to post here in the Swamp thread?  I'm honored!  big_smile  Always good to have more people join the forums since I believe this place is the center to all the cool stuff the various developers are cooking up.  I'm sorry I had to put you through Swamp withdrawals, rofl, but at least the wait is finally over.

It turns out that the mission log is indeed bugged when it comes to death messages.  There is a typo in the code so that it is always listing your name even though the message is actually talking about another player being killed.  This is a server sided issue so after I'm done writing this post I'll probably take a quick look and see if I can fix it before I go to bed.  With any luck, by the time people read this message the bug will already be gone and the mission log will be working as intended.

Buu420, I like your suggestion for adjusting pain sounds.  I've recently added in keys to adjust your own foot step volume as well as the foot steps for other players, so it will be very easy for me to toss in the ability to raise or lower your own pain sounds.  I've written it down so that I remember to work on it later.  The game slow downs are just a result of so many things being calculated at once.  Everyone's computer is different and some computers have more trouble than others when there are a hundred zombies doing things.  In the past I've introduced little code changes to try to help performance, but this last client actually reduced it by a small percentage.  Sooner or later I'll probably go through and see if I can squeeze a little more out of the code so that things will go smoother for the players.  That's easier said than done though, so I can't make any promises.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

Thumbs up

2012-02-29 11:52:46

Man, I can't wait to try the T5... smile
Why are the weapons renamed - and what's the range of a sniper with scope?

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

Thumbs up

2012-02-29 12:01:09

You can only shoot the sniper when you're crouching and have the scope, so it's 120

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

Thumbs up

2012-02-29 12:43:56

O... Ofcourse... lol!

Thumbs up

2012-02-29 13:54:42

Aprone, I actually tried convincing him to try 1.8b. I even suggested we could go into one of the other chat channels or talk on skype, so I can help him get used to things, give him cover, that sort of thing, but he insists he wants to start with single player first, before diving into multiplayer. I've got 0.6, wonder if I should give him that, lol.

AKA president731

2012-02-29 15:49:15

It seems I have found annother bug. I have successfully joint 2 or 3 low level missions. The Reputation is divided correctly, but for the lowest mission everyone seems to get the 2000 Xp. Is that wanted?

Annother problem is that the second map doesn't seem to have enough lute. I was searching the whole map and some buildings like the hospital and the diner, but wasn't able to find any flys. At first, there were some left, but later than,  I found practically no stuff.

Thumbs up

2012-02-29 16:45:35

The weapons were renamed because an update that is coming soon will be adding in new weapons.  A handful of the current weapons were so generically named that it would have been confusing.  Terms like shotgun, pistol, or sniper rifle will be treated as weapon categories now since you will have access to more than 1 type of gun that fits that term.

Stan, thanks for bringing up that bug.  This morning when I woke up I actually had similar reports in my email and on skype as well.  This is most definitely a bug and I'm happy to report that since it was a server side issue I believe I've already fixed it now.  The experience for missions should divide up just as the reputation points do.  If anyone can confirm that my fix has worked, or that it hasn't, I'd appreciate it if you let me know.  smile

When it comes to loot there are a few things to keep in mind.  Any players who have been around right after a server reset will tell you that loot ends up evenly spread out in ways that you just don't see any other time.  This is the result of random spreading.  Once the map has been populated with players for a while, somewhat predictable patterns begin to emerge where loot is rarely seen in some places but is often seen in others.  This is due to the common paths players take as they roam the map.  With so many people wandering to and from the safe zone, that whole area is generally loot free, but traveling down to the houses spots loot because fewer people go down there than most other places. 

This system of loot and zombie distribution was designed to encourage people to explore new places.  If you go somewhere that isn't visited very often then you are usually rewarded with a large amount of loot.  The cool thing about this system is that it works and even "learns" over time.  If few people ever went to the houses, it would be filled with loot each time the 1 or 2 people did go down there.  Nice little secret stockpile areas would be learned by players and they could continue to farm the area each time they played.  As more and more people catch on though, the grouping of loot slowly moves to the new areas that are explored the least.

The second map will have its own patterns in the same way map 1 does.  When people first started going there after the server began, it was that even spread which only happens after restarts.  As more players have been playing there, loot has fallen into groups that match the search patterns.  There is actually the same amount of loot on map 2 as there is on map 1, so if you're having trouble finding any it just means you are exploring the same places that most other people are exploring.  I wish you luck on your hunt!  big_smile

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

Thumbs up

2012-02-29 17:33:44

Hey aprone, could you share some of the new weapons that will be added soon? Just wondering.

Thumbs up

2012-02-29 17:56:55

yeah same, I'm curious now hehe
oo i know, dual shotgun? hehe that'd kick so much ass

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

Thumbs up

2012-02-29 18:12:31

My cousin suggested being able to wield two pistols, since they're usually small enough to be held in one hand (Not that I know enough about guns to know if that'd be at all practical, but I thought the idea interesting enough to share).
Though, considering that you could aim in two directions at once, I have no idea how someone would go about coding such a thing, hehehe.

(My latest swamp dream decided that Philip Bennefall was working on the latest test version, that the Shotgun could hold considerably more rounds, and that climbing out of a swimming pool and over a fence to avoid zombies was somehow practical. tongue smile )

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

Thumbs up

2012-02-29 18:23:57

Hmm... If PB is working on Swamp... Then where are all the zombi monkeys?

Thumbs up +1

2012-02-29 19:57:07

hi,
lol yeah
I spent about 20 minutes shooting hundreds of zombies
then I was rewareded with a massive amount of loot
I mean like 20 or 30 loots
sometimes even 50
well I somehow  crossed over  bridge from creek
and there were a vary large number of zombies
I managed to kill like 300 then they cornered me there was so much noise with zombies hitting me that the sounds got mixed up
after that I got owned lost about 1 k ammo and all of the weapons
guess i'll have to get it  all back

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

Thumbs up

2012-02-29 20:34:11

Dying with a lot of stuff still feels like a pretty hefty loss, but when you can axe your way through the swarm guarding a giant pile of lute, it's easy to recover.

... Like, while the test server was down, I spent most of my time on the main server being the janitor of the factory. Pretty much every couple of hours that place would fill up with zombies and buffer-bugging amounts of lute.

... Actually, I wanna see if that's the case right now. Trying to clear a buffer-bugged zone that's close enough to the safe zone to avoid spending tons of time walking back and forth when inevitably dying is... usually kinda epic. XD

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

Thumbs up

2012-02-29 20:55:19

hi,
so what do you guys do after you die to reclaim some of the equipment and ammo lost
I mean do you go to specific places
or buy ammo from the safe zone

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

Thumbs up

2012-02-29 23:05:32 (edited by blackmagicgirl 2012-02-29 23:07:25)

Enes, that really just depends on how much rep you have. What I tend to do is buy armor and medkits if i have enough rep, and then go axing for a while. If i'm generally low on rep, I will pick one or 2 guns to keep, usually ones that use the same type of ammo. I sell anything else I find for a while until I can afford to start stock piling every gun and ammo type.

I really need to get back on swamp, i haven't played in over a week lol. I've been working on the map editor though so you'll all have to forgive me!
Got a few more things i need to do with it and hopefully I can get an alpha out in the next day or so. Once I prove that it doesn't blow up the alpha tester's computers and streamline installing it a bit better, I'll call it beta and let you all start playing with it XD

Kat

Thumbs up

2012-03-01 00:46:30

Kat> Sounds interesting with the M E... smile Can you say something about how it works?

Thumbs up

2012-03-01 05:26:14

I am all for missions being more restricted, I think they were taking over the game way too much, and I really dig Aprone's idea of having to find diesel to launch them.
  However, I am wondering if maybe things haven't gone too far the other way.   Three times now, I have been on in prime time with at least 12 other players on, offering a low level mission, and only gotten one or two takers.
  I think folks are afraid of losing all their stuff now, and don't feel the potential loss is worth the rep and x p.  That is just my guess, I'm not sure.
  But I do know that before it was very easy to get a mission going, and now it seems very hard.
  I know making seperate lockers for missions would be a pain to code, but maybe an insurance system, where you pay x amount of rep to insure your items, and if you get killed, you get your insured equipment all back, but lose your insurance rep?
  I know this isn't necessarily realistic to the game universe of swamp, but we have many things that aren't strictly realistic, and I'm just trying to suggest an easier way to deal with this issue then seperate weapons and armor lockers for missions.
  Another relatively easy option would be to flee the mission, but at a loss to your x p for being a coward.
  I'm bringing all this up to open discussion, its not a crack on the game.  This is what testing is for, to see what works and what does not, but it seems to me to have 18 players on as we did tonight, and only 2 want to join a low level mission is out of whack.
  Another issue, I did a fairly lengthy run, I'd say I got about 40 loot or so, and did not get a single diesel out of it.  At the same time, Kel got 3 in a row.  I know that odd things happen with randomness, but to get 40 items and none of them be diesel also seems out of whack to me.  Looks like on average, maybe having diesel be 5 percent of loot would be a decent amount, and have it be donatable for those that don't choose to lead missions?
  Maybe I was simply very unlucky, but if leading missions is going to require diesel, seems a balance should be maintaned regarding how often diesel comes up?
  I know its very early in the testing of this version, and maybe these things are anomalys, but wanted to bring them up, as both seem to affect the gameplay  a good bit.
  Later,
Che

Thumbs up

2012-03-01 06:10:24

hi,
well I got some fuel yesterday I wanted to donate it but it didn't happen

Thumbs up

2012-03-01 06:52:55

@bladestorm lol as long as you mention anime, ushi! saru! u! ne!.....suiton! suiryudan no jutsu! lol sorry, had to say that ^^ i am such an otaku
actually, shinra tensei would really come in handy for swarms hehe
great, Im prob gonna have some dream today that crossbreads swamp, bokurano daibouken1/2 and naruto/DBZ/bleach hahaha

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

Thumbs up