2006-12-24 08:37:42 (edited by Reebok 2006-12-24 08:40:33)

Hi All,

I've been trying my hand at playing the recently released Justice League Heroes for the XBox.  I also bought Superman Returns, but I'll leave that one for another topic.  Justice League seems to be a little more playable for a blind gamer at the moment.  I am totally blind, so like most everyone else on this forum, I'm having to rely heavily on the audio, controller vibration, and memorization.  I thought it might be kind of cool to start a topic on this game, offer some pointers on what I've learned so far about the game so that others might be able to play it too.  My hope is that enough of us will have played the game that we'll all be able to chip in a little information so that we can all play the game better and heck, who knows, maybe even beat a level or two, having been armed with some nifty info in our back pocket.  Ok, here goes....

What I've Learned So Far.

Game:  Justice League Heroes
Platform:  XBox
Released:  Fall 2006

What I've learned so far is that the game is played from a top down perspective.  With Each level you have control of two characters which you are able to switch back and forth between at any time.  The characters you'll be using during the game include Superman, Batman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, and Zatana. As you progress through the levels, you'll beat up bad guys and super villans.  as you take out certain bad guys, I understand   that shield symbols are left behind.  as you collect these shields, you can unlock characters and purchase different costumes for your characters.  I believe there are also other items you can collect that will enable you to enhance the abilities of your character.  I don't yet have the details on this aspect of the game.  In the first level, you start out using Superman  and Batman.  You start off in a city that is under attack.  I haven't figured out by who exactly but I know there are at least some robots running around, tearing up the place.  You'll eventually hear them as you start running around.

The Controls.
This is where I'm hoping I can get a little bit of help but I'll tell you what I've figured out so far.  I'll start with the left-hand controls.  Here you have a left trigger button, located at the very top left underside of your XBox controller, which you use by pressing and holding with your index finger.  This, as it turns out is your super powers button.  Pressing and holding this button in combination with the punch and kick buttons will allow you to use your character's super powers.  There are at least two other buttons you can use in combination also but I haven't figured out how to use them yet or what they do.  Each character will have his own unique  abilities.

Next, on the top-side, you have your joystick, located on the top left of your controler.  This you control with your thumb and allows you to move your character in any direction.

Below that is the D-Pad.  This you control with your thumb as well and can be pressed Up, Down, Left, and Right.  Pressing the D-Pad allows you to switch between the different characters.  As far as the first level goes, Superman and Batman are the characters you can choose from.  As you move on to other levels there will be a different pair of characters you can control. 

At the bottom center of your controller, there are two buttons.  So far as I can tell, these buttons don't do anything,  at least nothing obvious anyway.

Next, let's move on to the right-hand controls.  At the top right-hand corner, on the underside, is  the right trigger button.  So far, this button doesn't appear to do anything either.
On the top-side, nhear the top, you have six buttons, three on top and three underneath. I haven't yet learned    the official names of each button, so I'll just refer to them as buttons 1 through 6. 

Starting on top and going from left to right:
Button 1- Dont know what this button does.
Button 2- This seems to be your jump button.
Button 3- Don't know what this button does.

Bottom buttons, going from left to right.
Button 4- This seems to be your punch button.
Button 5- This appears to be your kick button.
Button 6- Don't know what this button does.

I noticed that if you stand and do nothing, after a period of time your character will give some witty remark.

The Play mechanics
using your joystick will allow you to run in just about any direction.  As you move, you'll hear the footsteps of your character, same goes for when you punch, kick, jump, and use your special abilities.  There will be a sound effect for all of these.  Your character  has a certain amount of health.  I'm assuming there is a health meter displayed somewhere on the screen.  Each hit from an enmy will of course decrease your health and you'll naturally be dead when your health meter reaches zero.  I believe there is also an energy meter which measures how much energy you have to use your super powers.  After you've used your super powers a certain number of times, your energy will be depleted and will need to be recharged.  It seems that you can recharge your energy by discontinuing to use your powers and allowing time for your energy to fill back up.

As I've stated before, pressing and holding the left-trigger button and pressing button 4 (punch) or button 5 (kick) will allow you to use your special abilities.

Superman.
It kind of sounds like Superman is using his heat vision when you press button 4.  I'm not really sure what he's doing when button 5 is pressed. Something is happening though.  It also seems pressing button 1 does something.  It sounds to me like Superman is flying, though from what I've read on some web sites, you're only hovering high above the ground.  I have no clue how this is controlled.  I'd like to know if I'm able to move when I fly upward or if I'm stationary.  I'd also like to know if I can attack when flying.

Batman
Batman has quite an arsenal of weapons at his disposal.  holding the left trigger button and using buttons 2, 4, and 5 all fire off some weapon or perform some attack.  I haven't yet figured out what each does exactly.  I could use some help on that.  It sounds to me like button 4 lets you throw one of Batman's boomerangs.  I'm not sure what Batman is doing when buttons 2 and 5 are pressed in combination with the left trigger button.

The next thing I'm going to try really hard to do is come up with a layout of the playing field.  I'd like to be able to tell you all which direction to go in to complete the level, and give sort of a walkthrough.

That's all the info I have for now.  I'll add additional information as I learn more.  If anyone has played this game and has anything helpful to add, please, by all means, do so. Everyone is sure to benefit.  It doesn't even matter if what you have to offer seems really obvious.  What might seem obvious to you might be something totally new and not known to someone else. Thanks for the time guys and have fun.

Michael

2006-12-25 01:21:18

Update.
I was talking to a friend of mine and I asked him for some detailsabout the XBox controller.  Apparently, there are two types of XBox controllers.  There's a big one and a small one.  The small one is referred to as XBox Controller-S I believe.   Those of you who have an older XBox controller, say the one that came with a first or second generation system, will have the bigger controller and will match the layout I described in my previous post.  Those of you who have a newer XBox console will have the smaller controller and will have a different controller layout.  At the moment, I'm not familiar with the layout of the smaller controller.

New Description for Generation 1 controller.
This is an update of the official names of the buttons for the right-hand controls.  On the topside of the controller, near to to the top, you have  six buttons, three on top and three underneath.  All of these are controlled with your thumb.

Button X- Dont know what this button does.
Button Y- This seems to be your jump button.
Button White- Don't know what this button does.

Bottom buttons, going from left to right.
Button A- This seems to be your punch button.
Button B- This appears to be your kick button.
Button Black- Don't know what this button does.

By pressing and holding the left-trigger button and pressing either button X, Y, A, or B, you'll be able to activate your character's special abilities or attacks.

There are two center buttons located at the bottom of your controller.

The left button is the Back button.
The Right button is the Start button.

Starting game.
I forgot to mention in my previous post of how to start the game.  The game starts out with some animated cut scenes.  To skip all this and get the games started, just press the A button a few times, say 3 or 4 times, and that should get your game going.

2006-12-26 06:49:21

After having played and died a number of times, I've come to notice a few things with all the repetition. 

1.  Using the Superman character works better for navigating the playing field.  If I punch while moving, you'll only hear the actual punching noise if you touch something which serves nicely as an audio que that you've come up against an object.  Whereas if you're punching and you don't hear a punching noise, you'll know there there is nothing obstructing your path.  With the Batman character, you'll hear a punching noise regardless if you're touching an object or not.  Once you've become familiar with the layout, this might  not be as much of an issue.  But for beginners, starting off using the Superman character might be benificial.  Once you're in an obvious battle situation though switching over and using Batman works great.  Batman seems to do better with hand-to-hand combat.

I should also mention that as you're using one character, the computer will automatically control the other character for you. So as you're using Batman for instance, Superman will work alongside you to help you out.

In terms of the playing   field, this is what I've learned so far.  You'll want to start out going north.  You'll being using Superman initially, so just start punching as you're moving.  You'll notice that Superman punches and estroys something, probably a car or something.  Cintinue northward.  You'll then hear the voice of another Justice League member (I'm not sure which one), warn you about the bad guys weapons being dangerous.  You'll probably start getting hit by something at this point.  You can tell by the grunts of your character and the controller vibration.  So, seeing as how you're the Man Of Steel, teach these losers the error of their ways and show them what a punch really feels like!  That or blow them away with a well-placed blast of heat vision.  After you've taken those guys out, continue northward.  You'll then hear the voice of an enemy robot being alerted to your presence.  You'll want to be careful because these guys don't mess around.  You might want to use a  strike and retreat strategy here.  I've been switching over to Batman when I initially encounter the robots and start using jump-kick attacks and throwing boomerangs and 360 degree patern.  That usually takes care of them.  After I've taken out the first robots, I'll head east until I encounter the next set of robots.  I'll fight them and take them out.   

That's the only pattern I've recognized so far.  After this point, I've been wandering around and haven't been able to find  where the rest of the robots are exactly.  I'll let you all know what I find when I've learned more.