2006-12-20 15:56:35

Does anyone have any input as to which languages are well-suited to the dynamics of an audio game?  I have some pascal and C experience, and have been considering trying my hand at an audio game, perhaps something along the lines of a blackjack game just to start.  I was thinking of doing it in java or maybe flash.  Anyone have any advice to share?

2006-12-21 02:38:32

Well unless the game will be self voicing you need to be very careful with Java and Flash. They both have accessibility issues with screen readers, there are ways around it I believe but in the same way most web designers don't know how to properly use "alt" tags most Java or Flash apps aren't accessible.

It should be possible to use the Microsoft SAPI interface with C, or at least C++, but I'm not sure about Java and I can't imagine it working with Flash but I could always be wrong.

If it's self voicing the only requirements are the ability to play sound and catch keyboard input as far as I'm aware, the rest is down to what you prefer and what you expect to require of player's machines in terms of possible additional installations.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-12-21 03:40:08

Thanks for the tips.  I think I'm going to break out my old C primer and try my hand at a simple audio game for starters. I actually had never even heard of an audio game before the other day.  I downloaded a few different ones and was particularly impressed by Shades of Doom.  I also looked at the trailers for Sound Voyager, which seems quite interesting as well.  The idea of a sound only game is really intriguing to me, even as a sighted person.  The spatial effect that can be achieved in these games is actually quite amazing to me.  I wonder, has there been any audio games that utilize force-feedback technology like those used in some of the flight simulators?  I have a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Two joystick, and at least for flight simulators it adds a whole new dimension to the playability of a game.  It would be interesting to see this employed somehow into an audio game.

2006-12-21 04:04:24

I could be wrong, but I think I remember hearing Top Speed 2 (racing game) has support for force feedback. It only gives indication of ground type though I think.

As a former sighted gamer I think force feedback has a lot of potential. It might not give a level playing field in a lot of genres, but I can imagine flight sims or maybe even space combat games using it as well as FPS games.

The audio interfaces are very commendable, I'll agree I think it's impressive in regards to the 3d positioning. A lot of us still hope for a "mainstream" game to be developed by a major company that is accessible some day though. The AGRIP project probably helped that a lot (www.agrip.org.uk) since it shows that even if the maps included with Quake weren't accessible we don't mind making specific maps for blind players and the interface can be done.

Nice to have you on the forums.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.