2006-11-18 01:14:22

hello.

I make it my business to try out every single audio game available, even if only for a few minutes before deciding that it's not my thing and giving it the boot from my harddrive.

I decided to try out Jim Kitchen's Win pong this evening. After playing a few rounds, I decided I preferred Philip Benny-fall's Showdown, and so, well fun as Pong was, It had to go to preserve space on my harddrive.

I couldn't find an uninst file in the Pong folder, or an uninstall option in the pong programs group. so I manually deleted the folder.

I then remembered the Add/remove programs option in the control panel. to make sure I'd totally removed Pong, I went into that menue. However, it's stil listing Pong as a program, and I can't remove it (it tells me missing short cut).

I'm absolutely certain Pong is gone (I always install programs in specific places so that I can get rid of them), I just wish I could convince the Add/remove programs menue of this, and remove the Pong entry from the list.

does anyone know how I do this?

(It probably doesn't matter that my computer is listing programs that aren't there, but stil, I'd like things to be tidy).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-11-18 01:54:48

Hmm, how about installing pong to the same directory where it was before, and then removing it within the add/remove dialog?

2006-11-18 02:02:55 (edited by dark empathy 2006-11-18 02:07:03)

thanks for the suggestion, but I'm afraid I've tried that before with other programs, and weerdly, all it does is create a second entry in the Add/remove programs list.

I actually have one example of a program with about 4 entries, even though it's only on my computer once, because i made a minor bodge of installing a couple of components a few times until I got it right.

Also, strangely, there are programs that don't seem to show up on the Add/remove list for some weerd reason.

Both Win Tads (the interactive fiction game interpreter), and Bg Hearts don't seem to have entries at all, which is imho very strage.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-11-18 10:05:01

Hi,
Try installing the game again, then going to add/remoove programs and remooving the older one. Hope that helps.

2006-11-18 12:00:07 (edited by cx2 2006-11-18 12:02:41)

Add/remove programs shows things that are registered with Windows. On my system for example GMud doesn't register itself so doesn't show up. Using the uninstall option, or remove in add/remove, clears out all this.

You can manually remove a lot of the info by going to run and typing "regedit" to enter the registry editor. However you should be *very* careful what you delete in here since you can screw up software by deleting the wrong thing. Explore the tree to find the branch for the game in particular then delete it, but make sure you are only deleting the section for that game and not accidentally deleting entries for other games from the same source. All software should be within sections named for their creator if they follow convention.

And again, *be careful*. As long as you watch what you delete you should be safe, but if you do delete the wrong thing it could result in anything from one program from ceasing to work up to full scale windows failure. I stress though, this is only if you get things seriously wrong. For the most part it should be fairly obvious what you need to remove, and as long as you don't touch anything else you should be safe.

edit:
Lol, for the record I did not originally type screw driver. Never thought that would show on the swear filter *shrug*

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-11-20 17:52:29

Hey Dark,
  If you manually deleted the Pong folder in Program Files, it should e in your Recycle Bin. Go to your Desktop and select Recycle Bin. Press P to get to Pong and then press Alt to go to the menu. In File, select the Restore option that should be there. This as the effect of returning the Pong folder to where you installed it. Now, go into Add/Remove Programs. This should take care of the problem. if it says missing Shortcut, it means the uninstall file is missing. In fact the only way that game and Mach 1 can really be removed from your system is via Add/RemovePrograms. Try what I suggested and see if that workks.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-11-21 01:03:58

thanks people. When I delete things, I'm afraid I have a habbit of deleting things perminantly, sinse If I want to delete something, i want to make certain it's gone, so no sending things to languish in the recycle bin for me.

that was a brilliant suggesiton about registry though Cx2, i was actually rather shocked about what i found lirking around down there that I previously thought I'd successfully managed to kill. I couldn't find Jim kitchen or Pong though ---- though I really don't suppose it matters too much anyway.

I also don't want to go rummaging around in the registry folder too much, sinse it seems that I might accidently cause blunt blunt instrument related mishaps to occur, Forum filters? lol!

2006-11-21 15:58:25

One of the best tricks is you can change the title bar in Internet Explorer from the registry. wink

For a little while I was running Microshaft Internet Explorer on my laptop :d

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-11-21 18:36:51

Hey Dark/all
A nice program to try if your windows is not so "tidy" as you said, is called easy cleaner, and you can download it from:
http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniar … m#download
It can delete unnecesary items from the registry, you can delete items from  the add remove program list, from the startup (the registry), delete unused shortcuts, unnecessary shortcuts, and best of all, its accessible.
So, go ahead, and forget about unnecessary stuff.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-11-22 03:03:49

Thanks Robjoy, that sounds handy, sinse I am rather strict with the inside of my Pc, lots of folders and sub-folders to hold my various interests. I even have a directory called C:\fun program files where I enstall ---- well fun stuff, like audio games and Interactive fiction interpreters. This helps a lot with knowing exactly where things are and removing things I don't want on my computer. also, I only have to type three letters in the path name in most installations to change the directory, which is nice and quick ;d.

Customizing windows names for things is fun. my personal favourite was a friend of mine who changed the name of his file manager, to phile manager with a Ph, ---- as in glass phyles for potions ;D.

2006-11-22 17:52:10

I had a friend once whose brother somehow changed the name of the recycle bin on their computer to Plop. I don't know if he did that through the registry though since I'm not sure what it's called to begin with.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-11-22 20:58:24

Okay, move your cursor to the recycle gbin and then either use the application key and select "rename" from the context menu or just hit F2. It's just a shortcut at the end of the day wink

cx2
-----

2006-11-23 00:16:28

renaming shortcuts is something I'm always doing, especially when I create them myself. Generally though, I give things like short cuts very boring names that tell me what they go to.

2006-11-23 17:48:38

True. I only renamed my recycle bin once, when I had installed norton antivirus pro and it was coming up as "Norton protected recycle bin". I didn't like that name, besides it messed up my first letter navigation on the R key wink

cx2
-----

2006-11-23 22:39:10

Hi
Don't forget there's also C Cleaner. It's pretty accessible from what I've heard and you can download it from
www.whitestick.co.uk
It's under the downloads section.
Game Man

Game Man