2006-11-08 09:34:27 (edited by dark empathy 2006-11-08 09:37:50)

I was listening to some game recordings made by the master reviewer Raul Gallegos, in particular the ones of Classic Pipe and troopanum 1.

Sinse I have both blast chamber and Troop2, I haven't really looked into the older games, but I was wondering, sinse they don't cost much, if there would be any point in getting them? How different are they from the later games?

I'm slightly more interested in Pipe1 than troopanum1, sinse I already own Alien outback as well as troop2 and will certainly be buying judgement day, so I probably don't need another space invaders game (though if there's something inervative in Troop1's gameplay I might considder getting it).

Unfortunately, I made a slight bodge when playing the Demo of Pipe 1, which I downloaded only really to see if the pipe fitting concept was fun (sinse I'd rather hastily uninstalled the demo of pipe 2 before I got a good look at the game). I certainly decided to buy Pipe 2, But now, I've used up my pipe1 demo and can't now try it out to see if the enemies and faster water actually make it a different game experience from Pipe 2.

so, anyone's thoughts on the relative merrits of pipes 1 and 2 (and maybe Troopanum's 1 and 2), would be very welcome.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-11-08 09:47:26

hi,
i haven't tried out pipe1, but i've had a look at the sounds in the game. The sounds in pipe2 are clearer and i think of a better quality, but that means nothing really.
The enemies in my oppinion aren't as fun as the pipe2 rat thug and spider, but that's my oppinion.
I haven't actually played the game because each time i download the demo i hear a message says you must run the configuration first or something, and so i never get to play it.
best reg

Pay my respects to grace and virtue,
Send my condolences to good,
Hear my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could.

2006-11-08 10:01:01

hi,
i've just downloaded the demo, and for some reason a message come up before finish and said that a file or componant hadn't downloaded, then i pressed enter on ignore and when i went to configuration it said that a file was missing.
Something hasn't downloaded and it does this for some reason each time i download it. now obviously i don't want to buy something i haven't tried and i was wondering if this is an isalated occurance or have any of you guys had this problem.
otherwise i'll have to get in contact with justin and let him know what's gone wrong.
best reg

Pay my respects to grace and virtue,
Send my condolences to good,
Hear my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could.

2006-11-08 12:38:03

I don't remember any issues with missing files when I tried the pipe 1 demo ----- but that was a year ago now, so things might have changed.

Pipe 2 was only the second audio game I bought, hence my rather silly treatment of the demos.

Has anyone else actually got the game working to play it? or is this missing file issue causing trouble?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-11-09 17:50:00

This is the first I've heard of it. I never had problems with missing files. As for the configuration utility, it's built right into the program. In the Pipe submenu I believe it's Pipe onfiguration. All it does is collect information about your location so if you want to post your score you can. Like I said I've never heard of the missing file problem you seem to be having. My advice is to download the game again and try installing it again. More often than not that's the problem.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-11-09 17:53:44

have you tried to read the pipe 1 page carefully?

if not:

System Requirements

You must be running Windows 98 or higher and
DirectX 8.0 or higher
to play this game. You also must make certain you have
the Microsoft Media Components installed (600 KB)
prior to trying to install the game or the installation will not work.

I live to crochet!

2006-11-09 18:41:59 (edited by dark empathy 2006-11-09 18:42:51)

Presumably Brian and Sabrina, you both have Pipe 1, what's your opinion of the game? (any comparisons to Pipe 2 would be welcome).

if I decide to get the game, then I'll download it and see how the config business works.

I could be wrong, but I'd guess that if Archer (and anyone else encountering these missing file problems), is able to run the later Bsc titles such as Pipe 2, they already have all the neccessary components to run the earlier ones, and the cause of the problem is something else.

2006-11-09 19:29:34

alright:
for pipe 2, troopanum 2, and newer versions of hunter, you do not need the microsoft media components. install those. the installation will work correctly.

2006-11-10 11:14:56 (edited by sabrina 2006-11-10 11:26:05)

it's easyer than blast chamber on the easy diffeculti, but on the harder it's very fast..
the sounds are good and i understood the dokumentation fast.

I live to crochet!

2006-11-11 14:15:34

Hi.
I never got playing Troopanum 2, Pipe 1 and 2,  and Hunter. But I know some differences in Troop 1 and 2. For example, the sounds are quite different. And the Anouncer is different, and you got three lives instead of only one such as in Troop 2. Instead of Lord vector talking, there are some wierd music, and so, the game burstes into the first music who is in Troop 2.
the spaceships are also different, they have some different sounds. Also, the main Menu music is different, but you expected that, didn't yeah?
Over all, troop 1 is different from Troop 2!

V

2006-11-11 15:24:13

as I said, I've been listening to Raul Gillegos audio recordings of both Pipe 1 and Troopanum 1, so I gathered the differences in sounds.

I also downloaded and tried the Troop1 demo, but decided against buying the game sinse it seemed to me to play basically the same way as Troopanum 2 in the Baby blackhole mission, though obviously with fewer power-ups and without the fight against Vector at the end. While I certainly liked several of the sounds and musical tracks in the game, I'm afraid I didn't really see the point in buying something that would essentually play like a rather reduced mod of troop 2.

I do believe though, that Pipe 1 has some differences in gameplay, particularly in how you take on the enemies, which is why I stil might be interested in getting it, though what you say about the easier difficulty Sabrina, does slightly worry me, sinse I do like games that last a good while..