2006-07-30 01:31:38

Hey ya forum,
Well finally I got the wits to post about this. It's making me very curious...

Many companies use a speech engine in their games (like light tech interactive with neospeech). I'm wundering, is this legal? are you allowed to record the messages with paul and then  put the game on comercial download? I've read license agreements but this thing is not mentioned. for neospeech,  the only thing that's mentioned is that you're not supposed to give away you're verification file.

I'm asking this for one reason.
I'm beginning translating of one of the bsc free games. Don't know yet, but I have already made the numbers with my voice. Now, my voice sounds bad. Even when I edit it with voice sfx, or goldWave, it sounds plain bad.

There's a speech synthesizer in Hungarian, called Profivox. Profivox comes with JAWS (hungarian), but there's a way to copy out the driver files into an english jaws. I use it for reading Hungarian textbooks from MEK (hungarian electronic library). There's also Multivox (free downloadable synth) but it doesn't sound that good. The question is, could I use this engine, maybe edit it so it won't sound so plain? Or would this be considered illegal.   
The company that makes these engines is called bme-ttt. But there's no license agreement conserning this.   

Any comments would help ; for now I have my own voice recorded and it sounds bad.

Regards:

tomi

2006-07-30 07:46:59

I'd suggest contacting the developer. from the audio trailer of judgment day, I've heard the base repaired voice and such had an effect on those.

2006-10-24 14:57:21

I ended up taking out all speech synthesizers for judgment day.  human speech is better.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2006-10-28 15:15:37

i actually liked it. it's like a computer which gives information. but for the menu yeah human speech is better and such. but for in the game it's pretty nice.

2006-10-28 19:50:27

I don't mind speech synthesisors in menues, or giving status info, though obviously in games that feature robots and computers like galaxy ranger it's more appropriate, but even in Tarzan Jr I didn't think it was too bad ---- after all in a main stream game, random game text wouldn't exactly fit the jungle ethos.

I do certainly dislke screen readers pretending to be humans and acting though, as in Packman talks, X hour, or the Sarah game from pcs ---- gooooood dobby was annoying!

As reguards Judgement day though, I really don't mind iether way, human speech might give the game a less high tec feel though, and really set the difference betwene you and the Supreme Evil ---- sort of like in the Matrix!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)