2011-10-08 15:17:19 (edited by zakc93 2011-10-08 15:18:02)

At a time it was possible for me to pause and rewind youtube videos, but the buttons aren't there anymore.  Pausing was particularly useful because our internet is really slow so when i watch a youtube video it keeps stopping while its loading; but if i paused it, it would continue to load and when i resumed it, it would play through without those annoying constant stops.  Is it still possible to do this somehow?

2011-10-08 19:38:06

I haven't updated my flash player in a few months, so maybe the latest version invalidates the rest of my post, but...

It depends what screenreader you're using.
NVDA recognizes the pause button if you press enter on the video (You have to minimize the window to get out back to the rest of the page, though).
I believe Jaws can still access the buttons, though labels and such are more confusing.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-10-11 17:06:58

HI,
Actually, JAWS quite clearly identifies the pause/play button; I do not knwo why you would be having trouble with that.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-11-27 22:51:09

Sorry to bring back such an old topic. I normally wouldn't, but mine has just started doing the same thing. I'm running jaws 12.0 on my computer.
Does anyone know why this could be happening?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-11-28 14:09:59

Hi,
I think youtube has changed their APIS.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-11-28 17:49:54

Sorry Burak, I didn't quite understand what you said.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-11-30 17:13:44

hi,
burak! may had meant API, who knows about him, lol.

anyhow, i'm using jaws 11, yes you heard it right, jaws 11, with IE8, and not of the others stinky ones.

and windows xp! too.

everything is fine.
from play to pause buttons, from flash to downloads, all is well.

that's why i dont like to switch versions of both jaws and windows real quick like  the rest of the world does, but some of them may not, and i'm one of them.

what i look for is stability, not flexibility and fassion , umm, i mean showing off

i dont know why the hec people switch the windows to later versions, even microsoft have decided to extend the support for windows xp till sometime in 2014, as far as my memory recalls.
as regarding the outragious fact that a lot of new things are designed for later windows, i think that everything has not become compatible yet, so i'd want to wait a few years until jaws and stuff are made accessible or enhanced, to make the things more stable.

look, almost every game runs on xp without an issue, but you have to dig pits in order to make anything work in 7.

so, my preference is that stick to windows xp till later versions are enhanced enough to overpower xp, and then switch to them if the world refuses to be compatible with xp...

and maybe i recalled that i've heard somewhere that in the upcoming versions  of windows 8, it would be extremely difficult to hold tracks for jaws and the whole interface is going to change from scratch...

again, that are my hearings, i dont still know whether they are right or not.

that were my opinions , i'm not forcing anyone to stick to my way though, so dont offend me as i'm already pissed at someone.

thanks and regards

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2011-12-05 08:44:35

uh. it seems that my last post went unherd and ignored, lol.

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2011-12-05 09:58:35

Moderation!

Firstly sid, as has been said, double posting not a good idea.

More than that though, I find your assumption that just because nobody has replied to your post people are willfully ignoring or excluding you quite worrying. It might just be that nobody can think of a reply either way, or that all has been said.

Heck, If I! took that atitude lots! of threads would offend me, ---- just check the main site and see how many threads have a last post by me.

Might I suggest Sid that you relax and not assume the worst of people from nothing, sinse ultimately if you look for the worst in people the worst is what you will find.

More generally on utube, I personally find no trouble with hal's flash compatibility mode on the utube buttons, though if anyone just wants the audio, klango handles utube very well.

As for the more general question of upgrades, well even though like you I stil am using xp and ie 8 and will (as I've said in other threads), continue to do so until I have! to change,I do always make sure to have the latest version of Hal, currently 12.6 with all upgrades and new map files.

this is because even though my own! software hasn't changed, the internet and other programs do, and rather like with an antivirus, dolphin are stil updating Hal to cope.

for instance, I've not been able to update adoby flash player for a long time, due to the unlabled buttons in the installer. supernova version 12.6 sticks lables on them, so I've installed the player now.

I wouldn't however have been able to do that even in 12.5, hence why i stick to getting the updates, ---- though I will say that Hal updates cost far less than jaws ones, hence why I understand people not using the latest version of Jaws.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-12-05 15:01:38

I meant API

lauren.downie96 wrote:

Sorry Burak, I didn't quite understand what you said.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-12-05 19:55:27

@Dark
I know this is off topic but is hal free? If not how much does it cost. I'm just about getting sick of jaws. This is only my oppinion, but i'd rather be able to go on mazilla firefox without it crashing my hole computer. Apparently, jaws 12 doesn't run well with mazilla firefox, so I was wondering about geting hal because it sounds quite good.

2011-12-06 08:02:18

sorry dark, i'd be more carefull in the future with this concern.

2011-12-06 11:15:39

No problem Sid, just remember for next time.

Lauren, regarding Hal (or supernova as it's now known), it is not free. It costs 400 pounds for the initial prgram, then new versions tend to cost 110 each. Once you've bought the initial install, you never need to pay the 400 again, and only buy a new version if you want to (I completely missed out version 8 sinse the only thing it did was run with windows 7).

It's available from http://www.dolphinuk.co.uk/ and there is a demo to try.

I've used it for the last 17 years, and though I've tried Jaws, I'm not a fan. In fairness I probably should try window eyes and nvda just for the experience.

In general I've found that where Jaws sort of relies on auto reading, hal is a lot more easily customizeable.

For instance I have Hal set to read all punctuation and capitals when I'm looking at things on edit areas, but not when hitting continuous document read as on a webpage.

hal also is very good at reading stuff that it's not got scripts or maps for, such as the smugglers games or other random programs, as well as reading text in flash panes. It makes far more use out of the virtual curser than Jaws, so the virtual curser has a lot more features. For reading this forum I can for instance simply hit e, to get to the edite area at the bottom then tab back a bit to the last one of my posts, or even just search for some text and have the virtual focus go directly to it on a page (this is a very handy function).

This however does come at a price, sinse I think Hal has a steeper learning curve than jaws.

I'm sure lots of people who use jaws will toot it's merrits here, and can probably say more about it than I can in fairness. I freely admit I'm biased towards Hal having used the program for a very long time.

this isn't intended as a "one screen reader is better" type conversation, sinse those tend to get a bit pointless, only an explanation sinse you asked.

Btw, just one thing, if you try the demo of Hal, note that it'll be running with realspeak daniel, which is not the most responsive voice. I recommend changing to one of the other synth options, you can do this in the voice preferences option in the speech menue.

I just mention this sinse one lady I spoke to recently didn't realize the slow down was due to the voice and thought it was Hal itself.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-12-06 11:31:50

Hi,

To be honest, I'm not a fan of JAWS either.
All that stuff it does with your video drivers which isn't at all necessary... Sad to say, but Supernova does just that, too. sad
However, it's not as obvious about it, and it's certainly much less system-breaking than the JAWS ones.
I think they had to go that route since back then, Microsoft hadn't released those accessibility layers that are available now. For example, to read Excel tables properly, it had to be used.
Don't quote me, but that's how I think all the video drivering came to life.
I've used JAWS for 3 years, Supernova for about 2, and NVDA for the last. Guess my favorite?
(Note NVDA.exe in my tasklist big_smile )

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2011-12-06 16:03:32

hi,
it can be said that different people have different preferences of different screen readers in different ways.

and it depends largely on the amount of work and level of work an individual does.

for example, i'm just a student, so I dont need to use the advanced stuff, jaws is enough to support the internet, games, books, and some other materials if needed.
and according to me its most flexible and simpler to use then others.

the choice may differ for programmers, since they have to deal with more advanced stuff and navigation.

so, I think comparing screen readers based on there features, or controls, or interface here is pretty useless unless compared on a particular basis of  work  level or purposes.

that being said, an average person may find jaws useful, since its more flexible and simpler then others, while on the other hand a more geeky person would prefer to use something more customizable to the spaciffic needs of the person.

I hope those 10 minutes of typing are worth something, lol.

regards.

p.s.: I think i'd try out nvda, but had to step back after hearing that its navigation is more complicated then any other screen reader could have been.

2011-12-06 21:53:26

Hi,

It's definitely not. Whoever told you must have had a personal imperssion of it, and it wasn't well thought out.
I think you should give it a go. I mean, it's free, right? No harm done if you don't like it, personally I love it!
And if there are any questions, I'm sure I'm not the only one who could help you, but I'm offering my services now already. tongue

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2011-12-12 17:05:57

hi,
I installed NVDA, and it is pretty worth being a free screen readers then jaws, the reason I wasnt considering it earlier maybe that our blind organisation just sells the cracked  version of jaws in just around 30 cents. lol.

but however, I have via voice outloud installed, gave it a try, but it wasnt as good as eloquence, so, can someone suggest of any quick way of adding that to the synthesisers?

thanks.