2011-12-10 03:26:06

Hello.
Well, I want to use an email client. I tried mazilla thunderbird, but it doesn't support yahoo apparently because it just sits there when i hit create account. Anyway, I wanted to use outlook express but it's already got something called an identity and i don't know how to delete that or how to create new ones. Can I have some help on setting up outlook express so i can view all my yahoo emails? Thanks

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2011-12-10 04:14:54

HI,
it's not that easy but not too hard either, on the other hand. :-)
Thunderbird is actually supposed to look for the recommended Pop3, Imap and SMTP settings of your mail server in its database based on the address you provide, and since Yahoo is one of the biggest providers in the US, as far as I gather, it seems strange to me that it doesn't support it. Outlook Express doesn't have such a feature, however, and you have to type everything in manually. sometimes, especially the first time when you don't have any idea about the required parameters for your specific server, this can be a bit of a pain, having to look the necessary information up on the provider's website. On the other hand, as if this was not enough factors to ponder already, I've heard that certain controls in thunderbird are not read all too well by Jaws, and I can't unfortunately remember which ones those were exactly any more. NVDA reads it perfectly though, and I don't know about any other screen readers. Not to mention that, as far as I know, Outlook Express can't be installed on a Windows Vista or 7 machine, but since you have already run it, I suppose you have XP with the program installed, or my assumption about Vista and 7 is wrong. That's how I migrated to Thunderbird, however - I couldn't seem to find an installation package of Outlook Express for Windows 7 anywhere when I got my new laptop last December, there was absolutely no e-mail client installed in the system by default at all and I really didn't want to install the huge Windows Live Essentials mammoth just for a lightweight e-mail client like Outlook Express used to be. So good bye to Microsoft in yet another area of services I said then. :-D
So, if nothing forces you to use Thunderbird or prevents you from using Outlook Express, I recommend you to stick with OE for as long as you can because it's really fast, stable, lightweight and easy, but you will have to create your account manually the first time. Just in case, what did you try to do in Thunderbird? If you chose the account settings item in the tools menu, clicked on the "account actions" (a rough translation back to English from my Czech localization, sorry) and chose "add e-mail account" in the menu that just popped up, you should have gotten a dialog where you are asked for your name, e-mail address, password and possibly a few other pieces of information. Then, if you click on a button of the "ok", "done" or "create" sort, it should start looking up the correct settings for your mail server automatically.
Identities and accounts in Outlook Express are actually two different things. An identity is your user profile so a main or default one has already been created and initialized with default options, which I recommend you to go through and customize to your liking by finding them in the tools menu and then browsing through the whole dialog window and all the tabss carefully. So you can store as many identities or user profiles on one computer as you want, and have equally as many individual e-mail accounts in every one of them for that one user. Thunderbird does offer a similar functionality as well, I believe, although not by default and you have to do a kind of trick to enable it, the instructions for which can certainly be googled somewhere.
I can't test Outlook Express any more so I'm afraid I won't be able to give you exact step by step directions and will rather have to suffice with what I could recall just roughly. In the file menu, there are some items related to identities which you can use to add new ones, remove or manage existing ones, add passwords to them so that only you can actually use that profile, etc, and under tools there should be an accounts item or sub-menu, pretty much like in Thunderbird. you will want to ffind a command called add, that should open up a sub-menu and you want to choose e-mail account from there. The first prompt in the guide that comes up then is similar to the account creation screen in Thunderbird, it will ask you for your name that you wish for the recipients of your messages to see, e-mail address, the user name and password, etc, it's slightly different from the one in Thunderbird. And further on is where the trouble begins, you will have to complete that guide and then possibly enter the accounts dialog again and modify the properties of the just created account somewhat, that depends on what you can find about setting up Outlook Express to work with your inbox on a specific server.
Hope this helps, and good luck!
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-12-10 04:49:42

Hmmm.
Well, i typed in all my account details and hit the create account. This came up when i first ran the program. It seemed to just stop and if i hit tab, window eyes read canstle a button then advanced options and some other stuff and i saw manual configuration but it didn't seem to be connecting.
I'm not sure how i'd get account details from www.yahoo.com though.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2011-12-10 06:47:15

hi am i able to creat an acount using thunderbird and hotmail?
also is it werth it?
can i do the same thing as in outlook rread emails delete them and so on and so on?
thanks for helping.

I'm gone for real :)

2011-12-10 12:37:48

Myself I've tried thunderbird, but I just got irritated at the lack of certain really nice features outlook express has like the contacts list which you can just tab to to send messages. No mucking about with address books or identities or other rubbish, just select from a dropdown.

Personally i want an E-mail client to just! send and recieve e-mails, not do calender or conferencing or all the other rubbish, which is why outlook express has suted me very well for years (god knows what I'm going to do if I get windows 7, thank you microsoft!).

Anyway, to create an account, once you have all the information it should be relatively symple.

Go to accounts in the tools menue and hit add to get up the account settings page. type in the various details and make sure that the box on the name page saying "include this account when receiving mail or syncronizing" is checked, sinse if it isn't outlook express will! just sit there (this might actually be your problem).

The important bits are your name, mail address, and the incoming and outgoing servers, though I'd guess it's just [email protected] or similar for both. if your server needs a password, check tcorrect box and type it in (I had to do this with my bt account). You may have too hit enter on the settings box and type in there for the outgoing server.

When all this is done, the account should be created, and you can try and recieve E-mails with it. either hit ctrl m or go to the send and recieve menue and hit send and recieve all, and if this is done mails should appear in your in box, if not you may well get an error message.

Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-12-10 14:11:50

I've never fiddled with address books in either OE or Thunderbird so I can't tell. I've always just pressed control-n to compose a new message (this keystroke is identical in both clients) and started typing the address or name of the person into the "to" field. it always got autocompleted, and that's one of the features of both clients that I like the most.
Thunderbird can in deed do everything that OE can, well, perhaps except for the address book, it does not have any excessive rubbish that belongs to organizers or other kinds of software, and it even has something more such as a cool self-improving spam filter.
In that case, Chris, it appears you did everything correctly. I don¨t know how long you waited with that dialog in Thunderbird with the cancel button but I know it must have taken at least a minute or two for me until the screen changed and it let me know that the account has been set up, so you might want to wait a bit longer.
Hope this helps,
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-12-10 15:41:01

I personally have never liked auto complete. It always seems to get the names wrong, besides the contacts list has lots of other nice uses such as copying mail address of people by just selecting them.

This is really part of my hole problem with windows 7, I prefer information, be that files or contacts or whatever on screen and in view where I can manipulate it it directly rather than having to constantly rely on search engines and auto completion features.

Thus, if I want to get to my music folder, I want to actually go! to the folder and see what's in there. Same with contacts, if I want to find Lukas address I want to find it, not merely wait and hope for windows to get it right, or to have to have a note of it elsewhere that I can copy.

This is why I like outlook express so much, it has just the features and information I want, without being ridiculously silly with address books and conferencing and such the way the ful outlook or windows live messenger seemed to be.

Thunderbird did indeed have less options than that, but again it seemed to do some quite illogical things.
for instance instead of just opening a message with an attachment and being able to tab to the attachment and save it, open it or whatever, thunderbird seemed to want to put the attachment into another folder that you then had to go and find, rather than you just selecting it instantly.

I may well have to switch to thunderbird when i'm forced to get a windows 7 machine, sinse I think thunderbird is preferable to any of the microsoft alternatives, but frankly I'm amazed! that neither microsoft nor anyone else has recognized that outlook express is a really useful program and either ported it to windows 7, or written a free open source alternative.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-12-10 18:22:50

I believe Thunderbird actualy tried to do that by resembling it as much as possible. Sure, it does some things differently (the fastest, easiest and most reliable way to manipulate an attachment, for instance, is by accessing the respective sub-menu in file - I believe there are keystrokes for that as well but I never bothered to learn them), and I really have no idea about an address book because I am almost obsessed with remembering many pieces of data and information correctly just when I see them, without any struggle or effort or sometimes even awareness of doing so, so I can just type someone's address 90% of the time and I think it's faster than if I had tried to look for it in the address book. Plus autocompletion, either in OE or Thunderbird, never got anything wrong for me, or at least I can't remember it. the only issue might appear if you have saved more e-mail addresses for the same person.
and have you actually seen and worked with a Windows 7 machine yet, Dark? It is in deed a matter of having to spend some time on customization, sure, which is rather annoying, but after that you don't have to rely on any searching or autocompletion facilities and nothing is hidden from you. The features are just there should you ever need them, otherwise it's up to you, just like you and probably even me - most of the time - prefer. :-)
Lukas