2011-12-06 00:58:29

Hello all.
Omar here. I've been having some odd things happening with my laptop.
First, let me begin with the interesting one.
Every night, it will power itself on, for no reason.
There is no setting that I have for it to turn itself on, no defrag, no updates, nothing!
OK, thats that.
The second and most interesting.
Sometimes, when I'm playing games including swamp, the laptop acts as if, I were pressing random buttons.
And the next.
I get a window, that says exactly as follows.
your subscription to % is about to expire in % days. It is best if you renew.
I've gotten that twice now, and there is nothing that I am subscribed too, anyways.
And lastly.
As I launched firefox, NVDA kept saying dialog, although it would say it as if there were multiple dialogs were gaining focus.
I think it's some sort of virus, though Avast! says there is nothing.
Help. Anyone got any suggestions as if what it is?
Btw, the powering thing started about 2 months ago.
And it's just gotten worse from there.
Thanks all, and have a great day.

2011-12-06 03:21:04

Hi oma.
Well, I had something like this take out a laptop if you have malwarebytes try running that.
Otherwise its probably time to reformat, a virus did simular things to my system but never found the little begger.
A reformat will fix everything in any case.
In the case of the power going on by itself, you may have it set in the bios.
This happened  in my old 386 days, it happened just before my powermodule, took a major dump and exploded not sure if this helps you though.

2011-12-06 10:43:25

Hi,

I know that my laptop used to boot out of standby mysteriously, but only when I was running skype and a call was coming in.
I'm not sure how it did that. I'd like to know! big_smile

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2011-12-06 10:50:14

Save reformatting for the last option, sinse you'll also have to reinstall everything and get new game keys (crashmaster is rather fond of reformatting I believe).

First this does sound like a virus especially with the subscription thing. I suggest you look at task manager and see what's running and if you can see anything odd going on, particularly at startup. Also, make sure your avast is uptodate and maybe as suggested try another antivirus.

The power thing could be connected or not, I'd suggest checking your outlook and power settings, perhaps restoring at least those to defaults.

I'd also recommend perhaps looking at avg pc tuneup from  http://www.avg.com/gb-en/avg-pctuneup

This does a number of useful tasks for your machine, including registry cleaning and disk difragging, but here I'm specifically thinking of it's startup manager, which lets you see just what processes are running at windows startup and disable or remove them.

if a virus is doing dodgy things and asking for a subscription this might be the reason.

Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-12-06 12:01:51

Hi,

What confuses me the most is the % sign instead of the actual service name. Is this truly what it says?

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-12-06 12:27:37

avast has a dialog similar to what you write but it doesn't have  % symbles .

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2011-12-06 14:53:52

It certainly sounds like malware of some kind.
The first thing I'd do is check the task manager, and google any suspicious processes. And end the ones that come back as malicious. They'll usually respawn, but it should clear things up for a few seconds, which might be helpful.
And yes, try for an antimalware program.
Or you could spend money to take it to a shop with someone who specializes in eliminating malware, but I'd suggest saving this for if you can't fix it any other way.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-12-06 15:01:11

Hi SHaun,
No offense, but if all your comptuer advice amounts to is "try something that might work but might not, then reformat", do us all a favor and keep it to yourself.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-12-06 23:19:12

That's one advantage of some of the manager tools in avg pc tuneupe, they generally stop things dead especially at startup, at least they fixed the bad process that a virus once started on my machine at startup.

There may be other service manager type tools available, I just recommend pc tuneup sinse I've found it works for me and it's tools are handy.

What make is your laptop? the power thing sounds most weerd, and I wonder if there is something wonkey in the laptop power tools if any (I know toshiba machines have a fairly good power management system).

You might want to have a look at that and perhaps restore it to defaults, sinse it might be set to go into standby then boot up for some reason, which could be totally unconnected with whatever this process rubbish is.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-12-07 04:39:43

Hey all.
I have a asus machine, as I failed to mention.
lol. I'll try PC tuneup first then something, er, I don't know.

2011-12-07 14:43:06

asus isn't a make I've heard of.

Do you mean acer? Acer I know have a power management system, though the last acer machine I had was pretty dire in terms of bugs and inconsistant behaviours.

Pc tuneup is a commercial program, but you will be able to run several tools in the free trial mode, including the startup and service managers. You'll also be able to run a general problem scan and fix your registry which are handy things to do anyway.

As to screen reader access I don't have any trouble with hal and the dolphin curser, I don't know about jaws, you might want to try the pc curser on the program.

2011-12-08 02:45:28

Asus (not sure if it's spelled exactly like that) does in deed exist, although I can't tell you much more about it. As far as I know (I might be wrong though as I've never had an Asus laptop myself or known anyone owning one too closely), they are relatively well known as well but don't reach the high league of Toshiba, Lenovo, HP, etc. Probably something likeAcer or Fujitsu Siemens. I believe they became better known just recently, with the huge boom of netbooks and subnotebooks.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-12-08 07:21:11

as for pc tuneup' , tis quite accessible with jaws . sometimes and that's hardly, you might have to use a little o both,that is the pc curser,and the jaws curser

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2011-12-08 10:29:18

I'm glad it works with jaws.

As I said I've not come across asus before, but then again my last few laptops have all been toshiba and that's probably a make I'd go with for reliability, so haven't investigated too many other makes beyond the obviously advertized ones like hp, del etc.

2011-12-08 10:35:12

Hi,

The two laptops I had were a Fujitsu Amilo X3650, which died a horrible, but quick, death. Really, really sad, too.
THe one I have now is... Umm... A Packard Bell EasyNote... If I'm not mistaken, TS1200H or something like that. I can't remember. All I know is that that one's a prety beast.
I've seen Asus netbooks in local computer stores here, actually. And, I need a netbook anyway. tongue

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-12-08 15:59:18

I've heard of packard bell, but never tried their machines. As I said I've always had toshiba's and those have gone very well, accept for the acer.

In fact my old laptop which was six years old is stil working, the only reason i got a new one is the headphone sockit on the old one no longer works, but the main operating system and everything else is fine, and indeed my mum is now using it.

My brother even has a toshiba which is now 12 years old, and stil in ful working order :d.

2011-12-08 18:57:42

Hi,
a twelve-year old laptop? I wonder how slow it runs.

Best Regards,
Hayden