2006-07-03 11:58:49

hi.
i haven't played log yet, but when i downloaded it last night i tried to register it as a demo.
i found the code that you must use, that is provided in the documentation, and pasted it to the clipboard.
where exactly do i put it after that.
thx
arch

Pay my respects to grace and virtue,
Send my condolences to good,
Hear my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could.

2006-07-03 13:55:03

If I remember rightly Archer, You don't actually need to post it anywhere, just as long as it's on the clip board, click "Register" and it'll be done.

I hope you enjoy Lotg, the game's moderately fun in it's own right, but the sound effects are exceptional!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-07-03 13:59:30

thx dark, i was looking everywhere and wondering why the game wasn't starting up properely.
now i'll download it and give it a go. from what i've read it sound's a pretty good game.
best reg to all
arch

Pay my respects to grace and virtue,
Send my condolences to good,
Hear my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could.

2006-07-03 21:09:57

run the registration program. first you must run the configuration program or you'll run into serious trouble which i also used to have by first running the registration program and then configuration it totally didn't seem to want to work anymore.

2006-08-24 11:22:46

the thing I dont like about the demo in lords of the galaxy is that you have to stay connected to the net to play it, even when just playing against the computer.  sometimes our internet connection is not always available.  I wrote an email to vipgameszone and they haven't responded at all. that was I think... um.... a few months back. no, wait. maybe a year?

2006-09-01 09:17:53

i agree, that is just wasting your trial pereed.

2006-09-01 14:31:38

Not so much an issue about the trial period, more an issue regarding people on dial up or wanting to play single player on laptops.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-09-01 16:37:53

well if your internet just happens to be down during your demo then well.

2006-09-01 17:21:31

I can understand why people on Dile up or other dodgy connections have trouble with the Vip gameszone demos, but i can see why they've put things together that way.

for one thing, it means you can test out all the capabilities of a game, not just a limited version. When I've decided against buying a game after playing a limited demo, I've sometimes found myself wondering if the game actually had more to offer, and I'm just being impatient (this was my thought when I demo'd the mississippi Trading game from Mardi productions). With the Vip gameszone demos, you can be absolutely certain that what you see is what you get.

when I demo'd Super football, I was able to try out all aspects of the game (beating the computer on all difficulties), before i decided against buying it.

for another thing this means they can devote more time to making working programmes, rather than building in demo limits (which must take some programming timeand space). As Vip gameszone obviously have their own server (for all the online stuff), this is presumably easier on them.

Also, there are occasions where I've found the limited demo didn't really give a good experience of the main game. One example of this is Superliam. If it wasn't for the game review on main menue, I probably wouldn't have bought the game, sinse it was only the review that gave me the full scope of the different environments and cut scenes in the game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-09-02 04:35:03

The main beef I have with vipgameszone is that they never responded to my email.  Lords of the galaxy sounds good but I'm beginning to wonder if I should waste my time forking out the dough to buy the thing if I'm not even going to get the support!

2006-09-02 11:02:29

I've frequently had chats with Igor and a couple of other developers on the Vip gameszone mailing list and Lords of the galaxy mailing list. they were very nice when I thought my computer had accidently deleted Lords due to trouble with system restore, and were quite willing to provide me with another copy free of charge (as it was I was able to get it back, but it's stil nice to know Vip gameszone are willing to do that).

So, if you want to contact them, that's my suggestion for reducing cow protein.

Btw, how much does contacting the company who make the games matter anyway? accept for initially buying the games, I've never had cause to contact Bsc games, Bavisoft, draconis entertainment or Pb games though I own their software. Hopefully, unless a problem comes up I shouldn't need to.

2006-09-02 13:45:46

Your rudeness is uncalled for re: the cow protein comment.
They have an email address for support listed on their web page, they should use it, if they only want people to get support through the mailing list, then why go to all the trouble to set up a private email account at all?
I wrote to them about the demo as well as other issues with the sound and politely asked for help and I'm still waiting for a response, like I said in my first post that was well over a month ago, possibly 6 months or up to a year.
I dont remember exactly how long ago but it is long enough.
Sorry about coming across so snitchy but you know what they say about first impressions.  I'm willing to give them a go one more time.

2006-09-02 16:43:34

you don't get support for the demo. look at draconis. limited support. vipgameszone might be doing the same thing. erm, limited is a bit of a understatement.

2006-09-03 02:09:16 (edited by dark empathy 2006-09-03 02:13:55)

I appologise whocrazy if you miss-construed the remark as rude, I was merely attempting to help you with your problem, I'll know differently next time.

2006-09-03 05:02:16

ignoring your emails until you buy the thing? that is a very bad practise, if this is the way vipgameszone do business, I'll pass and move on to somebody more friendlier.

2006-09-03 07:03:00

First I assume the reference to cow protein wastrying to inject some humour, that's certainly how I read it.

Secondly I understand that companies won't give full support to people that haven't bought the full product... But it would have been advisable for them to answer enquiries regarding the requirement of internet access to play, but I can't comment since I don't know how your message was worded.

Thirdly, no offence but "more friendlier" doesn't work in English grammar. I'm not trying to be snobbish, just trying to point it out in case at some point someone makes an issue of it at a later date or in another post you make.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-09-03 08:13:12

Hi. my message was worded like this
Hi. In Australia, our isps  often go down without warning for a very long time.
I would like to be able to play lord of the galaxy in demo mode but without having to connect to the internet, as it stands, if my internet provider goes
down, I'm not able to play it until my isp fixes up the problem and gets back online, sometimes that can take a good many hours or days.  I have a blind
friend who is using the bigpond internet, and something is always going wrong with his connection, he can't even play your game unless he is online.
Can you please help?
Thanks

2006-09-03 09:49:01

i don't want to sound rude, but limited support if you have the demo, that sounds just silly.

2006-09-03 16:38:31

Yet another game company that didn't respond was bavisoft.  I tried a friends copy of grizley gulch but due to my hearing difficulty, I wasn't able to play it at all. I have hearing in only one ear, so I wrote to them asking is there anything that can be done in a future update to grizley gulch to deal with this issue.
I've yet to receive a reply at all. Now I am of the opinion that bavisoft will ignore your support emails unless you by the game, but the reason I didn't buy it was that I had a concern about the above issue with hearing the sound properly.
this just goes to show that the practise of only allowing support emails from people who have bought the game is just plain wrong.

2006-09-03 19:21:53

it's not wrong at all. think: crackers.

2006-09-04 04:03:58

Hmm... Well the least they could have done regarding lords of the galaxy, given the wording of the message, is to reply and apologise saying it wasn't practical due to copy protection issues.

cx2
-----

2006-09-04 06:24:42

"it's not wrong at all. think: crackers."
But some game makers are very iffy about refunds.  I am not a gambling man.  I do not want to end up in a situation where I buy a game and find out I can't play it, then it turns out I can't get a refund.
.  I wanted to be sure I was able to play the bavysoft game grizley gulch before buying it, as I found out I wasn't able to because you need the use of both ears to play it and I only have hearing in the left ear.  and no I didn't crack it.
I dont like the one size fits all policy as it can inconvenience some users, thats all I'm saying, dont get me wrong, I'm not advocating the dropping of copy protection.

2006-09-04 07:31:21

noone can crack the games any more except draconis, because they don't use product ids. if their games get cracked, then that is their own business - they should do something about it. other games are not that easy to crack.

2006-09-04 11:23:43

Even mainstream software can be cracked. Cracking can be done by interfering with the code I believe, though this is not something I have knowledge of.

If it is possible to crack windows, VMWare or Office that costs over

cx2
-----

2006-09-04 15:28:40

and simply making the game only playable while online isn't gonna stop a cracker, so the game creater will still lose out either way.  someone out there will just find a workaround to make the game playable without an internet connection minus the price tag.