2011-11-01 17:33:26

there have been several posts about broken links recently. This is just to remind people that audiogames.net does not actually host! the vast majority of the games mentioned on the database.

Links to download games or go to their web pages are copied from the developers' own websites, and though they are correct when the entry is written, obviously if a developers' site goes down they will no longer work.

If links stop working, we are actually just as much in the dark as anyone else, we don't have some sort of magic power to instantly access something because it was posted on the database.

Please remember, the game database exists to redirect people to find accessible games, nothing more.

This isn't to say you shouldn't report broken links, sinse obviously in some cases we can get the games rehosted by someone (as with the savage gammet and self destruct), but please bare in mind that we don't have anymore special tallent for finding given games than anyone else and cannot magically restore a game that has gone down.

If you click on a database link for an online game and it's not working, try looking for it on google and finding if it's hosted elsewhere. if a link to a downloadable game isn't working, ask around and see if anyone is willing to host it if it's a freeware game (if it's commercial there's litle we can do).

This isn't to say we won't try and find games ourselves if we notice that they're missing, only that all we can do, is pretty much what anyone else can do, we don't have some sort of magic instant game finder of doom stashed away somewhere.

So yes, report broken links, but if people could please also try to aide the situation, whether that's googling a given game to see if it's simply moved location or hosting a setup file for an old freeware audio game and providing us the link, that is even better and very much appreciated.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-11-01 18:04:35

Hi Dark,

Instant game finder of doom, ehh?
That does sound cool, but if limited to "Doom"... Maybe a bit too much limitation? Lol, just kidding.
I wonder if there could be a script which runs through the database, say every day, then marks those links which are 404 as such, also indicating it on the page of the game, with the removal of the link and a mail to a mod? These are just my ideas.

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2011-11-01 18:13:41

Well that could be a litle irritating, if I got mails everyday saying "link to logd is missing" because the script kept finding it, it'd need some sort of memory to not flag entries it'd flagged before unless the link got restored and went down again which could get convoluted.

Actually it's probably easier if people just report them big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-11-01 18:24:54

Hi,

The solution might be to send out a complete report in one E-Mail, so it wouldn't clutter up your inbox. Also, the flag of already sending that broken link before shouldn't be a problem at all. But sure, I like it, doesn't mean anyone else should. big_smile

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-11-01 18:32:55

perhaps a better way would just be to fix the "report broken link" link on the database pages, then have a page on the admin section of the site which I (and anyone else viewing the database), could review similar to reporting posts in the forums.

Richard and Sander are however apparently working on an audiogames.net 2.0, which will have some modifications to the way the database works, so we'll just have to see.

2011-11-01 19:22:11

Hi,

Ou, Audiogames.net 2.0? This sounds interesting. Now you've got me all curious and waiting impatiently. Lol!
Well hey, that would work just as well. I was just dropping ideas.

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-11-01 19:59:25

Well I'm not sure what the progress was on it, it was just something richard and sander mentioned at one stage, and certainly Iwouldn't have the coding skills for anything like that.
If they are stil working on it, or when it'll be ready i don't know.