2006-06-30 23:48:29

Well, I don't have a web site because as yet there'd be nothing to put on it, but my company will be called BP-Games (not to be confused with PB-Games). I'm already working on my first title, at least the pen and paper part. It probably won't be this year that it comes out, but maybe next if all goes well and I can master the programming part.
  My first project is going to be a little, or rather not-so-little, game called Mower Man. Take on the role of Lawnmower Jim, a landscaper whose been hired by toe wealthy McClaggen family to tend to the mansion's lawns and gardens during the family's weeklong Caribbean cruise. Unfortunately, there were a few rather important details left out of the discussions, as you discovered the hard way on your very first day on the job. First and foremost was the appalling condition of the yards, though that almost pales in comparison to the hoards of nasty critters that have taken over the joint, not the least of whom is Killer, the McClaggen's big, bad-tempered Rotweiler. Guide Lawnmower Jim through seven levels of nonstop action as you face off against Killer, a rabid rabbit, hoards of angry bees and flies, snakes and a neighbor's mean-tempered cat, all while trying to restore some semblance of beauty to the McClaggen grounds. You'll spend as much time on foot as you will on your mower.
  I hope to use the GMA game engine for this game, and the Neospeach voices for the menu system in the same way as Monty and Final Conflict. I'll say nothing further about the game except that it should bring a little originality into the AG market. As to when it'll be released, I haven't a clue. I'll have to learn the programming part and then the programming itself probably won't be done overnight, so we're looking at what'll probably be a lengthy wait.
  I don't know if I'll charge for the game, but if I do I hope to charge less than thirty dollars, fifteen if I can swing it. I shared this idea with the Audyssey listers and every one really seemed to like it. Thomas from USA Games was the one that suggested I use the Neospeach voices, which don't cost all that much at the place I'll be buying them from.
  Anyway, I just wanted to share this idea and to let you know that, if I catch onto the whole programming thing, you'll hopefully see a new, good-quality game from me in the next few years.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-07-01 07:30:31

hi,
i really like that idea. it's going to be a cool game when and if it comes out.

2006-07-01 20:57:15

Thanks Argen. I'm actually in the process, as I may have mentioned, of writing a basic manual for the game. Liam from L-works has offered to help me out with the project, so we'll see what comes of it.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-07-01 23:22:09

Hello
I saw the comments on Audycy and the game sounded interesting to me. I hope you have fun working on it.
Game Man

Game Man

2006-07-02 03:11:43

You don't know me, but I've got some experience with online RPGs at the least. My vocabulary is half-decent, and I did graduate high school a few years back. Heh heh.
Either way, if you need writing, an idea-guy...I can try to help.
My email address is
[email protected]
if interested.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2006-07-02 03:24:32

ya.  I'm not sure what exactly Bryan will want done, but it looks like it's gonna be a neato project.  As soon as Judgment day is done I'll have plenty of time to start hammering out stuff.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2006-07-02 07:24:48

Well obviously I'd need people to help with the programming, music and sound people and as many voice actors as we can get. Granted there won't be all that many characters in the game that talk, but if at all possible I want to avoid synthetic speach altogether. I'm already working on a makeshift, rough-draft manual (Liam's already gotten a look at it), and I can send it out to anyone that's interested in helping out with the project. Credit of course will ge given to all. I'm not the type to take all the credit even if the idea was originally mine.

2006-07-02 19:44:45

Feel free to include me, then. I'll help in any way I can.
I can play music but don't know how to write it using a midi program or music editor of any kind, I'm afraid. I suppose I could voice-act though.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2006-07-29 16:42:15

Count me in, too. I'd love to help this project. The game even sounds humorous. I haave some ideas for making it so.

One of my ideas is below.
One of the critters you killed was a magical bee. It stung you, and now you have a serious flatulence problem. Look through the refridgerator and pantries of the MacClaggon kitchen for something to remedy the gas problem, otherwise all the maids will be killed because of your foul odor.

Holden

2006-07-29 19:05:13

how would flies kill you? i mean they can't sting like bees do.

2006-07-30 04:37:10

Uh... I like humour, but I personally find that too close to toilet humour. Perhaps just making the sound effects or voice clips humorous would be better than building sub games around something like that.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-07-30 19:29:14

Uh, I have to agree with CX2 Holden. That idea just isn't right for this game. We could certainly have him fart as he gets on and off of his mower sometimes, rather like some of the level intros from Alien Outback, but I don't really find the idea of searching the McClaggens' mansion for a fart remedy all that amusing. Besides, it would seriously detract from the gameplay.
  As for flies, I don't believe I mentioned those, but I could incorporate them. We're not talking about an entirely realistic game here, so flies could just bite you to death. In fact I'd like to make Mower Jim's bee alergy as bizarre and unrealistic as possible without totally blowing it. BTW, did everybody I Emailed receive the manual I sent? I know Liam did because he contacted me but what about everyone else I sent it to?

2006-07-30 21:27:18

Hi,
I will also help with making the Game. It sounds like it will be a grate Game.

Elliott, the best Audio Gamer.

2006-07-30 21:38:02

BryanP wrote:

as you face off against killer, a rabid rabbit, hoards of angry bees and flies, snakes, and a neighbor's mean-tempered cat.

well you said it, but well yeah, weird things of course, monkeys can't really hit you, they do in tarzan junior, and im talking about the jungle hunt monkeys, they don't swing vines at you.

2006-07-31 13:54:05

Like I said before I'd need music composers, sound designers, voice actors as well as programmers.

2006-08-01 08:32:52

Hi again,
Can I be a voice actor for the game?

2006-08-01 22:19:08

Well the project is nowhere near close to that stage, nor do I know when it will be. When it gets closer to the point where voice actors and things are needed I'll probably hold some sort of audition where you Email me your files. I'd rather not do that now since chances are they wouldn't be needed for a good long while. That's one mistake that BSC Games made with Castle Quest before the project was canned. Besides, even if I was ready I probably wouldn't have the necessary time to do the work just now. College does that to you, as I'm sure some of us on the forum well know.

2006-08-29 19:53:31

can i be a voice actor?

I live to crochet!

2006-08-29 20:15:30

To everyone that might be vaguely bothered, greetings AND SALUTATIONS, i HAVE RETURNED FROM A VERY LONG AND SUCCESSFUL MUSIC FESTIVAL, WHICH INVOLVED MYSELF DOING MUCH SINGING AND ACTING ETC.

ANY HOW, TO SAY SOMETHING OF SOME PRACTICAL USE, i'M VERY GLAD THIS PROJECT IS STIL VAGUELY GOING ----- EVEN IF ONLY IN THE PLANNING STAGE, AND i DO VERY MUCH HOPE IT WON'T BE JOINING CASTLEQUEST IN THE DUSTBIN OF HISTORY (INSERT TYRADE AGAINST bSC GAMES HERE).

I'd be interested in contributing something ---- whether that be composed music or voice acting, but as has already been said, we're a ways off that yet.

As reguards weerdnes though, it's all part of the great gaming tradition. who'd have imagined that plubmers could eat mushrooms, jump on dinosaur's heads and chuck turtle shells around, or that hedgehogs could wear nyke trainers and run so fast! Or the phrase "come ear!!!!!!" could become so synister!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-08-30 16:47:40

heh heh, that's a mk refference. mk rules above all fighting games. anyhow back on track. the game sounds interesting, i hope it'll be released.

2006-08-30 17:00:55

i  aggree, i hope this game is continued, as it sounds like quite a good one, i can quite easily see myself contending with killer the mad dog for hours in my spare time.
p.s i agree mk rules over all fighting games, however i am partial to tekken two and it's own modern / phantasy style fighting.
best reg

Pay my respects to grace and virtue,
Send my condolences to good,
Hear my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could.

2006-08-31 10:37:41

I do rather like Mk (hence the reference), but personally my favourite beat em ups are Soul Calibur 2 (I must play 3 at some point), and of course the Street fighter games. I'm not a big Tekken fan personally I'm afraid Archer. Hmmm, somebody should have a look at developing some kind of audio beat em up, perhaps building on a similar (but more complex and realistic), model to Savage gambit. I might have thought that audio beat em ups were impossible, but I thought the same about audio Tetris style ----- and look at Haunted Factory!

Anyhow, I could well see this game coming out to be extremely addictive and fun, provided that all the programming can be taken care of. As one Capcom employee said, it's okay to have great ideas for the game, just as long as there's also some way of putting them into practice in the actual coding.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-08-31 13:33:40

that's a shame dark, i'd have thought you'd have liked tekken.
granted, tekken 1 has some very shakey sound quality, and tekken 3 is a little to intense, however tekken 2 with it's own special brand of fighting is one of the easiest games i've played on.
the players moves are much more easily accessed, and each player has there own equal amount of moves.
most characters in mk however have a couple of moves, and other players like cindel and sy-rax have non.
anyway, to the point, i actually come up with a street fighter game a couple of months ago, i wrote out a character list, moves, and began writing the storyline as you progress through it.
i based it on the principal of tournament and gave it a street fighter / streets of rage beat.
unfortunately, as i have no knowledge of programing this game is purely on paper along with 2 others i wrote out in my spare time.
this particular fighter was to be called strength and stamina.

i based the fighting moves purely on mk, each of the good guys you can choose from has the ability to punch kick, high punch and high kick, as well as 3 special moves.
your goal is to go up into the mountains and quell an uprising of evil that has been growing and restore peace to the world.

but, unless i take up programing this stays on paper.
i have been considering taking up programing, however i don't know were to start.
best reg
arch

2006-08-31 13:59:05

when I said audio beat em up, I wasn't exactly thinking about tournament, sinse even though the game has a fighting game plot line, the actual nuts and bolts of the game is based on turn based attacks and management of strength and such, much closer to a symple rpg than a beat em up (though obviously with ffar less story).

You should definitely have a look at getting into programming though, so you can put some ideas into practice. I've seen various resources knocking around on how to programme audio games (Bsc has some), and if you've been modding I'd guess you have some knowlidge of how the programming stuff actually works in the first place.

for myself, I'd have to start absolutely from scratch, sinse I know nothing about prgramming, and at least for the next few years I don't have the time or energy to devote to learning it without giving up something else.

With respect to Tekken, as I think I've said in another topic, atmosphere and plot play a big part in my gaming experience. I find all the tekken games I've seen (right up to four and tekken tag), to be reallyb lacking in this department when compared to something like soul Calibur or even Mk. The music sounds like the sort of thing bad rock bands compose whilst under the influence of canabis, the same generally goes for the sound. the charactors and plot I find not to be too engaging ---- two boxing cangaroos? and a bear? Fun, but not the sort of thing that would occur to me for a life or death fight.

Then, what I can see of Tekken's Graphics doesn't exactly enspire me, it has absolutely huge hit stars whenever you hit somebody, which just make the game feel unrealistic. When I compare this to some of the things in Soul Calibur 2, ----- well it just doesn't compare for me!

As you said, finally theres the entire control thing, which I do find rather sluggish and jerky.

Please bear in mind this is all my opinion, my brother (who's played beat em ups at a national level), absolutely loves the tekken series because he says that from a technical point of view they're great.

2006-08-31 16:38:37

well dark, actually modding hasn't really given me any insights into the programming world, all i know is that some games have sounds that i can't remove or tamper with.
i would like to start programming my own games, not to sell exactly, but just to give myself something to do.

i have all the sounds, and a good computer i just don't know where to start.
like i said i have plenty of ideas but right now their either on my hard-drive or in my head.
i may try it out though, just for fun.

and i must admit that even in tekken 2 the controls are a little tempremental at times. but i like the music and i'd love to get some of the sounds on my computer for modding.
best reg
archer